Budget of $100 a month on FOOD- HELP!

Options

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    When I was in graduate school, I applied for financial aid to help and i applied for food stamps.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you really need help w/ your budget --- I would sell my car if i didn't have food to eat. Seriously.

She might need that car to get around. There are some places where public transportation isn't always feasible. I live in Phoenix. I couldn't take public transportation from my apartment/house to any stores. It would take me 4 hours to get somewhere I could drive to in 10-15 minutes.

To the OP: I used to have a $100/month budget. The weekly grocery ads came in the junk mail flyers. I'd look those over and plan my meals around what was on sale. I'd buy certain things at Frys and then head over to Fresh and Easy to get something else that was cheaper. Or Walmart will price match ads if you can't go to multiple stores.

Are you serious? I live in Phx too --- there is a ton of public transportation and nice weather. It's not unheard of...especially if you don't have money, access or even eyesight to drive for that matter.

In Houston there are A LOT of places public transportation doesn't go. Sounds like she is doing fine with her budget if she paying rent, her car and food.
  • Momm22boys
    Options
    Our food budget is $350 a month for a family of four. We do it by shopping sales and using coupons. Walmart does ad matching, so I look at all of the local ads within 30 miles and then shop at Walmart. We stock up on whole chickens, peanut butter, beans, and tuna fish because the prices are pretty good. If you shop around you can also find fresh fruits and veggies on sale at local grocers.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    whole wheat pasta is just as cheap as regular pasta.

Buy fresh and frozen veggies and fruits (big bags) and eat all the fresh first....then proceed to the frozen. eat whatever bread you could get on sale that is fresh and freeeze the rest to take advantage of sales.

eggs are a relatively cheap source of protein and peanut butter can also be portable style of protein.

Buy the big frozen bags of chicken breasts and each one comes out one at a time.

costco/kirkland has "weight loss shakes" that are a fraction of name brand ones and taste about the same. THey end up being about 50 cents each and are meant to be meal replacements so can you imagine having a 50 cent breakfast and lunch everyday, how cheap would that be? But monitor the sugar content because i veered off of those when I noticed all the nutrition was the same as my slim fast EXCEPT the sugar which is DOUBLE almost.

Find a cheap way to get good water like a brita or something. go to as many free food college events just like when you were an undergrad, but focus on what you know is diet worthy.
  • ImmaZombie
    Options
    Food pantries and the like help my small hometown every week. They bring 2 truckloads of food and people line up for blocks with laundry baskets and such to get food. All they have to bring is a utility bill as proof they live in that county. Might be something to look into. It'd give you some extra food each week.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that.

. Do yourself a big big favor, swallow your pride, and apply for food stamps. Your health is the most important thing you've got.

I have already looked into food stamps, but I am not eligable. I am a resident of Kansas and have been living in Rhode Island for my internship for 6 months...so it doenst apply. My problem would be mute if I could. Thank you though!
  • lyrical_melody
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for their advice! I learned a ton on things I could freeze, resources, and recipes to try! I greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to post something.

I would just like to say that I dont have parents that can help me...they are struggling too.
    I did apply for financial aid, but at my graduate school there is no work study and most of the $$$ has gone to the school.
    I currently shop at Price Rite and the local spanish stores (love them!)
    Theres not good enough transportation around here for me to sell my car...I WISH.

Anyway...thank you all so so so much for replying!!! :)
  • kosuski
    kosuski Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think she was much nicer then I would have been to those people who tell her to sell her car. She is trying to move forward and provide for herself. $100 a month for food is doable-- like other said coupon and watch the sales. When you cook make a double batch or most make 4+ services and freeze the left overs. add black beans to any and everything--they are a great filler and cheap if you buy them dry. Add meat and some frozen veggies to the ramen noodles and make a full meal out of it.
  • jaebennetti
    jaebennetti Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We, my friend and I, work at a farm for work shares. What we receives in these work shares is vegetables, fruit, and meat. If you look at local community supported agriculture in your area, contact them and ask if they need help, some farms advertise their need for workers, some you do have to ask. We get very wholesome fresh food and we freeze a lot for winter use. It is also great exercise.

Local churches and Salvation armies often will have free dinners. Sometimes they need help in preparing and serving dinners as well. This is a great way to meet people, help others and have a nice dinner.

Check grocery sale ads, a whole chicken can go far or a box of old fashioned oatmeal can feed you breakfast for a long time.

Check out free food giveaways.

If you are a veteran contact your local veteran office. Sometimes they can help as well.

Please know this, there are many many people who are at the same place you are at right now. You are not alone. We all need help in reaching our goals sometimes. You have also inspired me to look at my food budget and be grateful for what I have. Thank you.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this information! I found Bountiful Baskets in my town. Very cool.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Shop sales, use coupons, shop the discount places (aldi, Walmart, etc.) Chicken, broccoli, oatmeal, and a fruit. It might be burning but you're set for a week for super cheap. Around me trader joes is one of the cheapest places for produce.

I'm hesitant to say food stamps because I work with clients who can't qualify for them, depending on your area you may not qualify or by the time you do your internship will be over.

I understanding having to budget, I'm also in my masters and have a set budget, but I had saved money over the summer and year for this semester I however spend around $30 a week on groceries for myself and it lasts me for 99% of my meals.

Talk to your department/division and see if they provide any assistance or emergency funding as well. I know my university does if you can prove financial need. It might not be exciting, but its doable.

I also understand not being able to sell your car. My internship is 45 mins away in a very rural area and public transportation isn't an option to get there. Some areas are just not user friendly enough to go car-less. Just because she has a car doesn't mean that sheis irresponsible and doesn't know how to budget. Not all areas of the country are public transportation friendly.

You may also look into working weekend or nights, it would suck, but you would have money.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on where you live. I'm in Boston and even shopping sales I can barely get my bf and I below 200 to 300 a month. Buying meat in bulk and freezing it as well as everyone else's suggestions help. I don't live near a Walmart or a cheap grocery store so I feel your pain. Also I am a graduate student as well.

I also agree with the part time job idea. I've been looking into one bc I have loan payments (no car payment tho) each month that are almost as much as my rent. It gets tricky to afford what I want.
  • lisatwin1b
    lisatwin1b Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Those enrolled in higher education aren't eligible to receive food stamps, neither are people on unemployment. I have a theory that food stamps takes into account a persons "employability"

You are in college, you are smart and capable of working, no food stamps for you.
    You are receiving unemployment, you were just working so you can work, no food stamps for you
    You have a college diploma, you get less than a person with no high school diploma or GED.
    Disabled? You get more.

This is just a theory from observations, feel free to argue!

Also worth mentioning, making friends, especially ones that have more money!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

HELP! I only have $100 each month to spend on food.

i wonder how much you spend on gas, your cell phone bill, on going out, and other frivolousness things.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Bananas are probably the cheapest fruit per pound and per calorie.
    Get chicken thighs instead of chicken breast, they're a lot cheaper.
    Potatoes are cheap, rice is also a fairly cheap source of carbs that keeps you full. Investing in some eggs wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Those enrolled in higher education aren't eligible to receive food stamps, neither are people on unemployment. I have a theory that food stamps takes into account a persons "employability"

You are in college, you are smart and capable of working, no food stamps for you.
    You are receiving unemployment, you were just working so you can work, no food stamps for you
    You have a college diploma, you get less than a person with no high school diploma or GED.
    Disabled? You get more.

This is just a theory from observations, feel free to argue!

Also worth mentioning, making friends, especially ones that have more money!!

If you are eligible for federal loans or work study, you are eligible for food stamps in most states.

Your level of education has no impact on your eligibility.

You may be able to receive food stamps while on unemployment, if you meet the income requirements.
  • amylweber
    Options
    Couponing can help. You don't have to go to the extreme like some of those shows, but it can help. Yes there are plenty of coupons for things you don't need too but if you can find some good deals out there. Get 2 sunday papers for the coupons it will be worth it and if you spend a little time to match the coupons you have to sales ads at places like Safeway and King Soopers you will save on Food and Staple items. A lot of the chain grocery stores double coupons too which is why it's cheaper than say a big box store most times. Check out some web sites like krazycouponlady or couponmom, they explain more and they will break down all the weekly ads for you too so it cuts down the time spent comparing ads and coupons.
    I have more money to put towards food since I have been able to save more on staples for example I have not spent more then $2 on a bottle of laundry detergent and have only paid tax on toothpaste and body wash in the last year.
    Healthier food can be bought too with couponing. Cereal, bread, soups and such can be bought cheap when couponing in conjunction to sales. I don't know if you have a sprouts where you are but they have wonderful produce at lower prices. Some times I also have a sales ad from a store that isn't near me and I take it to Walmart to be priced matched to save.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you have to resort to ramen noodles, throw away the seasoning packet and make it with low sodium or home made chicken stock and bulk it up with bunch of frozen vegetables. There are better options, but you can get a weeks worth of meals for under $10.
  • lyrical_melody
    Options

i wonder how much you spend on gas, your cell phone bill, on going out, and other frivolousness things.

I spend $200 a month on gas because I have to drive to my internship. My cell phone bill is taken care of by a family member (thank god) and I spend $20 a month on going out. $5 each wednesday to do salsa dancing.

I dont spend money on frivolusness such as clothes, going out, drinking, etc.

Im concentrating on completing my masters. .
  • lyrical_melody
    Options

I spend $200 a month on gas because I have to drive to my internship. My cell phone bill is taken care of by a family member (thank god) and I spend $20 a month on going out. $5 each wednesday to do salsa dancing.

I dont spend money on frivolusness such as clothes, going out, drinking, etc.

Im concentrating on completing my masters. .

ALSO...while I appreciate all the comments, this was a thread on CHEAP food ideas...not to scrutinize how I spend my money. I have done my budget, I am a responsible young adult and know what is important and what is not important during this time in my life.

To everyone who responded with helpful information, I am EXTREMLEY thankful :)