The Fast Diet Challenge

Options
124»

Replies

• trickrick1
    trickrick1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a bit of a convert to this diet. I am now in my 4th week of the 5:2 diet and finding it quite enjoyable.. The thing is that I was also scepticle to the challenge of 500 calories per day, but the fasting days are more mind over matter. I find that mulitvitamins, water and coffee will keep me going throughout the day until my 1 meal in the evening. A low fat ready meal with (to be honest) lots of vegetables can be fairly satisfying, although obviously your body demands more after. Apart from religously licking my plate clean afterwards, a few minutes after the meal the body kind of accepts it has been fed. You also find that on your non fasting days your appetite isnt increased, although you can still 'pig out' if you want to. I don't really feel like doing anyhow that but I know I can drink my copious amounts of wine and not feel bad.

I target 500 calories, but have a 600 calorie 'buffer' which helps with the day and planning. On my non fasting days I also still try to watch what I eat and am cutting out bread (my weakness) and potatoes to a point.

What I also love about the diet is it's flexibility. My 2 days can vary each week - I tend to do Monday and Wednesday to get them out fo the way, although last week it was Monday and Thursday. This week due to 'meal related commitments' I am doing Monday and Tuesday, which isnt ideal but I will see how this works.

Ok only in my 4th week, but I am enjoying this lifestyle change and have lost 10 lbs so all is good in the wrold of fasting :)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty radical but modified fasting does give the body a great chance to complete internal chores which leads to healing and repair. I say just listen to your body carefully and let that be your guide. I'd like to hear how it's going on a periodic basis. I'm going to request you as a friend.

not true at all. The body doesn't need that - what it needs is to stop eating junk. Fasting like that has no benefit on cleansing or internal cleaning. It's been debunked.
  • lyonnesse
    Options
    not true at all. The body doesn't need that - what it needs is to stop eating junk. Fasting like that has no benefit on cleansing or internal cleaning. It's been debunked.

Please post some links. Anyhow, we're not talking about cleansing we are talking about repairing and as has been said, above, there's a wealth of scientific evidence for this
  • lyonnesse
    Options
    I know I can drink my copious amounts of wine and not feel bad.

Hmmmm. I'm a bit of wine fan too. A bit too much of one. If I didn't imbibe I'd probably never have hunted weight loss solutions all over the web, and elsewhere. My usual diet is pretty healthy with that one exception. Fasting gives my liver 2 welcome days off but I still try to keep the remaining days reined in. I doubt the ability of fasting to repair a damaged liver ...
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is beneficial, but only if you make up the calories and nutrients when you are not fasting so that you have enough energy to live, without excess calories. There is evidence that fasting is healthful, but your guru's claims of health benefits sound exaggerated. This may come as a shock, but sometimes authors exaggerate to sell more books, even if they are a doctor.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Here is some info on the original TV programme and the benfits it had on his health.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

I practice IF myself, there is evidence that is beneficial, but one guy not dying doesn't prove anything. IF is not a magical path to perfect health, you still have to live a healthy lifestyle and genetics will still have a role.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    So it's the same thing as 5:2
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    "Intermittent" just means not all the time. So 5:2 is one form of it, but not the only way.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Chris,

There are some good responses in this thread and some responses that are made by well-intentioned people who are not well informed. Listen to those who have actually studied IF, read the studies and join the IF and 5:2 groups here on MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting

Good luck!
  • dominicraf
    Options
    I've been doing this 5:2 lifestyle for 3 months and so far it is pretty easy and effective, and there is increasing scientific evidence for it too. I would really recommend the 52fastdiet.co.uk forum if you want the best information and discussion. http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk
  • trickrick1
    trickrick1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Health benefits may not be achieved by fasting. It's horses for courses really, and sometimes you need to find a diet that works for your lifestyle.. It's all about reigning in the calories without losing the nutrients required and if this is achieved by allowing me not to spend day after day as a slave to a restricted diet and therefore being downright miserable and hungry all the time then I am happy and the 5:2 diet therefore makes me happy.
  • hipbonesthighgap
    Options
    I love Dr Michael Mosley
    Did you watch his documentary he did about fasting?
  • lyonnesse
    Options
    I've watched the documentary, read a few reviews, visited Mosley's web site and even bought the book and I can honestly say he doesn't come across as in it for the money.

The book was not pushed on me, just something i wanted to read, and when I did I learned not much more than I had already discovered. Neither he nor the co-author are pushing this (unlike Atkins, and Sears of Zone Diet fame)

They didn't write much about it and they don't talk much about it for what seems to me an obvious reason - they've found something that slots into their lives and lets them get on with living without thinking any more about it. They've shared their experiences and now they are on to other things.

Isn't that what we all want?