My doc suggested JUICING....Who does it?

Options
So I've been being treated for almost 2 years for chronic headaches and today my doctor changed my meds and suggested maybe I should try 'juicing' to rid my headaches and jumpstart my weight loss. I don't know a whole lot about juicing and was hoping others could help me. What do you mix and how good does it taste? Any other thoughts would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    That's it, your doc said try juicing with no other guidance or direction? I think you need a new doc.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    That's it, your doc said try juicing with no other guidance or direction? I think you need a new doc.

Ditto.

In the meantime, check out the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.
  • psychedmom
    psychedmom Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am a neurology physician assistant and have no idea what he is talking about. I opened the post because I thought meant your doctor recommended anabolic steroids! Which of course is totally ridiculous. Sorry can't help. Ask him to give you some info on it. I am assuming he possibly means eating a more whole foods diet and avoiding processed foods.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Don't go on a juice diet. Geez, some people in the medical profession... Your body needs solids and foods from all food groups.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Juicing is taking fruits and vegetables and literally juicing them - putting them whole into a relatively high-quality juicer (I have a Breville; use a low-quality juicer and it'll be too much work for you to want to do it) to make juice. I went through a period last year where I was juicing everything. My two cents:

Pros:
    - I'd drink things that I'd never eat. Carrot + orange + beet juice is deliiiicious and a very pretty treat when sipped from a wine glass (it's bright pink!).
    - You can drink wayyyy more greens than you can eat in one sitting. It takes a lot of greens to make a good sized glass of juice (a usual greens recipe might be a whole bag/bunch of spinach, whole bag/bunch of kale, 1 cucumber, 1 apple).

Cons:
    - If you add too much fruit, it's really high-calorie. I'd recommend mostly veggies, with maybe 1 fruit in each mix.
    - It's not very filling (imho). I wanted to try a juice-only cleanse, but after just a few juice meals I was ravenous for something solid. You're missing all the fiber from the veggies & fruits that fills you up. It's a good way to get lots of veggies in your system, but maybe a very difficult way to be able to eat a low-calorie diet at the same time.

I like juicing as a supplement, but 'juicing' as people usually mean it in documentaries and such (i.e., juice cleanses, all-juice diets) probably takes a good deal of willpower, I'd be really hungry. Plus, many nutrients are fat soluble, so it seems like adding juice as a supplement to meals containing fats might be healthier than completely juice only.

Some people claim that juicing gives your system a break, because it can spend the energy it would normally spend digesting, repairing itself. I'm not sure I believe that.

I think like many things, it's best to just try it for yourself though, see how *your* body responds! I know a few people who rave about juice cleanses.
  • blackmagic10
    blackmagic10 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    good as f I just started I mix fruit with vegetables :) I promise strawberries,apples,celery,carrots,spinach,oranges,and grapefruit mix it all together
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Juicing is amazing. Your doctor is a keeper. I can say from experience, juicing is incredible. I would get the Champion or Grean Star. These are gear juicers and give a lot more juice for your $$. Also, centrifugal juicers suck for greens. Actually, they really do not even work for greens. The two I mentioned are a little more spendy than centrifugal juicers, but there is a HUGE quality gap between the two.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Did your doc explain why and how juicing can help with headaches? This is the first time I'm hearing this. Get an explanation, that might help on what he is trying to help you with. Or get a 2nd opinion.
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    Watch your grapefruit intake, it can effect your medication.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Also, I juice primarily veggies when i juice. I make fruit smoothies every day, though.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Why didn't he refer you to a registered dietician if this is a medical treatment?
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I saw Fat Sick and Nearly dead.. had to get a juicer. I did not realize how much they wasted. I didn't like that at all. Now I throw all that stuff in the blender. I have a smoothie blender so it's got a strainer at the spout for the stuff that wouldn't fit up a straw. I bit chunky but it's ALL there.. I don't mind the pieces so much either.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If your physician is not a nutritionist or have any experience in nutrition then I wouldn't take their advice. :) I don't ask my dentist for gynecological advice.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Juicing is taking fruits and vegetables and literally juicing them - putting them whole into a relatively high-quality juicer (I have a Breville; use a low-quality juicer and it'll be too much work for you to want to do it) to make juice. I went through a period last year where I was juicing everything. My two cents:

Pros:
    - I'd drink things that I'd never eat. Carrot + orange + beet juice is deliiiicious and a very pretty treat when sipped from a wine glass (it's bright pink!).
    - You can drink wayyyy more greens than you can eat in one sitting. It takes a lot of greens to make a good sized glass of juice (a usual greens recipe might be a whole bag/bunch of spinach, whole bag/bunch of kale, 1 cucumber, 1 apple).

Cons:
    - If you add too much fruit, it's really high-calorie. I'd recommend mostly veggies, with maybe 1 fruit in each mix.
    - It's not very filling (imho). I wanted to try a juice-only cleanse, but after just a few juice meals I was ravenous for something solid. You're missing all the fiber from the veggies & fruits that fills you up. It's a good way to get lots of veggies in your system, but maybe a very difficult way to be able to eat a low-calorie diet at the same time.

I like juicing as a supplement, but 'juicing' as people usually mean it in documentaries and such (i.e., juice cleanses, all-juice diets) probably takes a good deal of willpower, I'd be really hungry. Plus, many nutrients are fat soluble, so it seems like adding juice as a supplement to meals containing fats might be healthier than completely juice only.

Some people claim that juicing gives your system a break, because it can spend the energy it would normally spend digesting, repairing itself. I'm not sure I believe that.

I think like many things, it's best to just try it for yourself though, see how *your* body responds! I know a few people who rave about juice cleanses.

Nailed it. ^^^ I do juice because otherwise I don't eat breakfast. And my skin is wonderful :)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES You will love the energy the feeling of your body lifting up like a feather. Its seriously one of the best choices I made this year. Not only did I shed 30 lbs I was insanely energetic my whole attitude about food changed for the positive and it became so easy to make healthy desicions with all sorts of life #$@!. The power of juicing is overwhemingly worth it. I bought a "DASH" juicer 90 bks at Macys.I do a mean green drink. Kale green apples cucumbers celery and lemon a hint of ginger. For 20 bucks you will have enough veggies for several days drinking about 3 8oz glasses a day. Great for digestion and bowel movements.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I saw Fat Sick and Nearly dead.. had to get a juicer. I did not realize how much they wasted. I didn't like that at all. Now I throw all that stuff in the blender. I have a smoothie blender so it's got a strainer at the spout for the stuff that wouldn't fit up a straw. I bit chunky but it's ALL there.. I don't mind the pieces so much either.
    If you get a good juicer, it is different.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    So did he offer to put you on D-bol or Winstrol? Or Primo or Anavar? I'd be interested in what stack.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is his name Oz?
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    I am a neurology physician assistant and have no idea what he is talking about. I opened the post because I thought meant your doctor recommended anabolic steroids! Which of course is totally ridiculous. Sorry can't help. Ask him to give you some info on it. I am assuming he possibly means eating a more whole foods diet and avoiding processed foods.

... I thought that too. I was expecting a joke thread!