Anyone else having a hard time cutting out alcohol??

Options

Replies

• Joshuao16
    Options
    I swear, "moderation" and "balance" are the two most difficult concepts around! But, good advice.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I quit all together back in October. Those were just calories, I could eat.
  • halleyg2
    halleyg2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    In the past I've had to cut out alcohol completely to lose weight. Even if I made myself Weight Watchers drink recipes or had a mini-bottle of flavored vodka, my weight would gain or stall. My body won't cooperate and it's a shame because sometimes I need a drink.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    One of the guys I play racquetball with LOVES his beer, and yet he's in amazing shape. He often says, "The reason I play this game so much is so I can drink beer after." :)
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Very hard to do - but once I cut it out (except for weekends) the pounds started to come off a lot quicker!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You can make room for it if you want, I still drink beers. Big beers, not diet beers. I want my beer to taste like beer if I'm gonna spend my calories on it. Just personal preference, but I'd rather have one Lagunitas Sucks than 4 64 calorie beers or two and a half 100 calorie beers. Quality over quantity as far as my tastebuds go.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't drink everyday but I make room in my daily calories for when I want a beer or hard liquor. I plan for about 200 cals per drink.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight by planning accordingly.

I'm not sure you will have success if you plan on drinking daily. Unless of course you do enough cardio to burn off each drink you intake :)
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I don't know - never tried.
  • shockingpink33
    shockingpink33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I drink a beer most nights and usually stay within my calorie goal of 1200 cals. It's really about calculating it into your daily intake and not drinking excessively.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! :drinker: I've had to change what I'm drinking. I don't really drink beer, but if I do, I can guarantee it won't be a "light" one. I'm a wine and mixed drinks gal myself. I used to bartend so I'm fairly adept at modifying sizes etc and still getting the flavor I want. Gin and diet tonic with lemon (not lime) is one of my go-to drinks. I also have some vintage glassware that's smaller than what is used today--so I can make a Martini (my other fav) using just 1 oz rather than 2 of Vodka or Gin and I can feel like I've treated myself.:wink:
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My problem is that hubby will sometimes pour me a wine/cider without first asking if I want it/have calories budgetted for it. Once it's in the glass, I can't say no ;)
  • celestinha
    celestinha Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i had a super hard time with this. i just started really moderating what i drink. it was hard at first, but now when i go out i don't get drunk as much as i used to (just turned 22 and i'm still in college, sooo peer pressure sometimes is a difficult one :P). i just have a beer or two, or try to drink things with less calories like a rum and diet coke or something along those lines. since i cut out most alcohol i've dropped A TON of weight, whereas i was gaining immediately after turning 21 because of all the drinking -_- lesson learned!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Also, check this out for good measure:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • Joshuao16
    Options
    Also, check this out for good measure:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Killer, love it!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out alcohol, but don't sacrifice nutrition for it. When I first started trying to lose weight, I read lots of information suggesting that cutting it out completely would immediately put me on the path to weight loss. That didn't happen! From a health perspective, it's great advice to cut down or eliminate alcohol, but from a weight loss perspective I have found it to be and and absurd and misinformed generalization. Calories in < calories out has worked for me (note the ticker). I save room in my calorie goal for my wine but I definitely don't deprive myself of food either, as anyone on my friend list can attest to. If you (or your loved ones) don't have a problem with your consumption, I see no reason why you can't make room for it in your calorie goal. Your lifestyle change should be something YOU can live with, not something you suffer through. :drinker:
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    UGH this is my problem. Although when I work out a lot, I know I won't go as hard if I had alcohol the night before or whatever, I just feel more sluggish...which motivates me to cut more out...

but I love having a drink, or two;) haha
  • NDskeyes
    NDskeyes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found it is easier to cut it out than to cut it down.

I tried a few brands of non-alcoholic beer last year - I didn't like most - many were sweet, and the ones that I liked best cost more than my regular weekend brand.

I experimented with drinking less, but then I'd focus on how much I'd had or not had - that wasn't very relaxing.

It's been 3 months since I quit, and it has helped my weight loss, (my wallet, my health ...) I picked up an "aversion type" audible audiobook and a hardcover book by two different authors. By the time I finished the audiobook, I was done drinking. I did go ahead and read the hardcover book, but didn't feel a need to.
  • nursedianne
    nursedianne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm going to walk a little extra to enjoy my wine.
  • Joshuao16
    Options
    I'm going to walk a little extra to enjoy my wine.
    I like the way you think :-)