Anyone else having a hard time cutting out alcohol??

Options

Replies

• Joshuao16
    Options
    Me too! Will work harder and cut calories to enjoy a few
    Yes ma'am. I think that's a solid plan. :-)
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I will have it if I really want it. Most of the time I don't want it though because it always makes the scale go up 3-4 pounds for several days with just 1glass of wine. I know it goes back away but it is a mental thing lol
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Biggest problem for me... especially when the guys ask out for happy hours on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays!
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I only drink maybe once or twice a month. I figure i'm good the rest of the month, its ok to slip up here and there :)
    I do notice, even though i try to plan it around my calories for the week, the times i go WAY over, it has a longer effect on my loss due to the water retention and general laziness that occurs the next day. That being said, lifestyle change! I am not willing to give up the going out once in a while and drinking some beers, so I will make it part of my lifestyle.
  • Joshuao16
    Options
    I hear ya! :drinker: I've had to change what I'm drinking. I don't really drink beer, but if I do, I can guarantee it won't be a "light" one. I'm a wine and mixed drinks gal myself. I used to bartend so I'm fairly adept at modifying sizes etc and still getting the flavor I want. Gin and diet tonic with lemon (not lime) is one of my go-to drinks. I also have some vintage glassware that's smaller than what is used today--so I can make a Martini (my other fav) using just 1 oz rather than 2 of Vodka or Gin and I can feel like I've treated myself.:wink:

1 oz instead of 2oz. Now that's a good idea!!
  • xatannerx
    xatannerx Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have not cut it out. I love to kick back a couple beers once in a while, however if I am treating myself to a beer I am gonna make it a good one (Newcastle/Smithwicks). I find that if I drink the lower calorie beers it a) tastes horrible b) takes more to achieve a buzz...by the way that is why we drink it right :) I actually end up consuming more calories drinking light beer as I drink more of them :( I drink maybe once a week and either plan for it in my calories or work out to make room!

Other then beer I drink vodka with water and MIO water flavoring (yummy and 0 calories). A shot of Absolut vokda is 58 calories.
  • kendaQ
    kendaQ Posts: 14
    Options
    I love my wine!!!! One glass of wine a day is actually good for you, my problem is I want 2-3 glasses on the weekends! LOL but It will take a lil time to get used to the idea of pouring the one glass and putting the rest away. I have been adding my drinks to my log and making sure I don't go over...
  • Snoopyem
    Snoopyem Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always save room for a glass of wine at night. I have a hard time most days getting enough calories, so the wine helps!
  • jeffsieck
    jeffsieck Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If there are any other Home brewers perusing this post, here's a formula for determining the calories in your homebrew:

Calories per ounce = ( (1881.22 * x) * (y - x) / (1.775 - y) ) + ( 3550 * x* ( (0.1808 * y) + (0.8192 * x) - 1.004) )

WHERE x= Final Gravity AND y = Original Gravity

The nice thing about having my beer on tap and knowing the cals/oz, is that I can choose which beer I want, AND how many ounces I want to have. I'd rather be fat than have to completely cut out beer.

Moderation.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I refuse to cut it out. As a brewer, I'd be a shame to society and my craft.

All things in moderation.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to cut it out panda bear?
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I didn't have trouble considering I didn't drink much before I started back on my track of losing weight.

I had two drinks this last weekend and before that it was early or mid October, before that mid July, before that I cannot even remember...

But I can live without it, I don't need it as a part of a routine or a habit. If you think you need to stop the habit then the first step is to keep it out of sight so it goes out of mind :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Very hard to do - but once I cut it out (except for weekends) the pounds started to come off a lot quicker!

I do agree that keep it to the weekends, but I've seen a few studies floating around that were saying there was correlation between daily moderate drinking happiness and longevity.

Still on the fence. Since I am obese it is processed differently and stored differently.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    No if you are normally a moderate drinker. Look up some studies on it instead of asking here. You'll be surprised what you find.

I can see cutting it out for health reasons if you so desire but not for weight reasons.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up my nightly glass of wine and am still losing weight. If I drink much more than that it interferes with my sleep and may even give me a migraine, so it's easy to exercise moderaiton. If I'm out with my colleagues, I alternate wine with glasses of club soda.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut it out totally. I normally drink 5/6/7 days a week, a glass or two of wine or maybe a beer or two.

I've not had a drink during the week for the last two weeks, I've only had a drink on a Friday and Saturday night. It's been hard, but I've been determined to give it a go. I'm glad I did, I've seen weight come off of my face, the hamster cheeks are on the way out!!!

It's been especially hard this week, a case of Virgin Wines arrived on Monday and I''ve not even opened it to have a look at the bottles, all 12 of them...
  • There's nothing wrong with drinking. If anything, treat it as a reward when you hit a certain goal, or as an incentive to work harder.
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says to drink in moderation!!! I have NOT cut out my beer, but just drink less of it!
  • xatannerx
    xatannerx Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Also, check this out for good measure:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Well now, isn't that handy! Interesting
  • tms5e
    tms5e Posts: 2
    Options
    man you need that stuff to live "inspired"