How on earth do you stay motivated to work out?

Options
124»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what is your work out routine like? If you are just plodding away on a treadmill or elliptical no wonder you are bored...I work out five days a week with free weights. I am not saying that I enjoy it EVERY day ..but I really look forward to certain days where I know I am going to push myself with weighted pullups, barbell squats, deadliftts, clean and press etc...

No offense, but I never undersand how someone could go to a gym and just work on a treadmill for an hour...I think if you incorporate some strength training into your routine you will start to enjoy it some more..plus, it is always nice when you start increasing weight and reps and see your body change...
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You are doing the wrong kind of training if you go to the gym and are so bored that you're just watching the clock. I was that way when I focused solely on cardio. Like most people, I started my weight-loss journey with the belief that cardio was best, and I made myself do it day in and day out until I wanted to slit my wrists. Then I discovered weight-lifting, and I haven't looked back.

I won't lie and say I look forward to getting in the gym every day. Some days (like yesterday ... I challenged myself with a high-volume squat workout) I'm really excited to get in there and work hard, and other days (like today), I know I've got a tough day at work followed by a tough session in the gym, and all I want to do is go home and crawl back in my bed. But, overall, I enjoy the kind of training I do. I'm getting stronger and leaner every day, and that motivates me.

One other thing I did recently ... I found a picture of someone who has the body that I want (and it's a very realistic goal for me ... that part is key), and I taped it to my bathroom mirror. Every day when I get home and it's time to change into my gym clothes and I really just don't want to, I look at that picture and ask myself "What would that girl do?" And I know she would put her big girl panties on and hit the gym, so that's what I do.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the gym, it's gonna be REALLY hard to consistently go to a gym. Instead, find activities you enjoy.

Personally I like swimming and weight lifting. And that's just right now. In previous months I did kung fu or just did pushups and squats in the morning. In the future I want to take up biking or hiking - maybe even rock climbing.

Make a list of physical activities you know you enjoy or you think you might enjoy and would like to try. Then just start finding opportunities to try them out. Then it's always an adventure and a challenge.

Good luck!

Edited to add: I also really like people. I like talking with people, being around people... So I take classes that are done in groups, then the workout is just super fun and I get to hang out with friends or make new ones by making them laugh. Meanwhile you get all red-faced and sweaty from the workout. #perfect
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    For me, I stayed motivated to work out by doing it long enough to see results.

Once I started seeing results in the mirror, it made it much, much easier to get down and dirty. To me, progress is highly motivating.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've found things that I LOVE to do - so it's not a chore to do them. I run (outdoors), take spin classes, and lift weights. I look forward to each of those things and can't wait to do them.

If you're bored to tears with your routine, do something else. I'm guessing you are putting your time in on some cardio machine and then maybe doing a circuit of weight machines. That can be mind numbing if you don't like it.

Instead, take some classes, try new things. Kickboxing, spin, step, running outside. Go indoor rock climbing or go for a hike. Go canoeing or kayaking. Exercise doesn't have to be about staring at a tv while walking on a treadmill (but if that's your thing, go for it!!).
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym and cancelled my membership. But I love to walk - so I try to walk 10,000 - 20,000 steps a day and do exercise videos for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. Find something you enjoy.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't know. It took a year but it was like a switch going off in my brain. Suddenly instead of looking forward to mealtime I look forward to mealtime because I know after I eat I'm going to have the fuel to go workout. I especially am learning to enjoy running. Runner's high, maybe? But at first I was bored and hated it and sometimes at the gym I still do feel bored, but the workout itself makes me feel so good and energized that I do it anyway.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You just have to find something you enjoy. I challenge myself with weights. I really enjoy pushing myself and lifting more.

^^^ This. I always hated the gym because cardio bores me to tears. Try this starting weight program and see how you like it, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
  • brig_1_g
    brig_1_g Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with videos and also have a stationary bike with a desk on it so I can play on the computer while I pedal. Time goes by really fast that way. I used to get really bored as well.

This is awesome! I just told my husband I was going to make one for my treadmill!

It makes a huge difference for me - I love it!
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I look at pictures of myself one hundred pounds heavier than I am now. That is why I work out every day.:wink:
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I cant work out at all at a gym or out in public in general. So, I put on some DVDs and get to it. I find that if i make it fun then I have no issues getting sweaty and burning the calories. I asked for a kinect this passed xmas and its helped a lot with some good cardio exercises and well as the jillian michaels dvds.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Nowadays my workouts are no longer motivated by becoming thinner or looking better. It's just that I do it because it's tough, and it's the toughness that makes it exciting. Besides, there's this great ecstatic feeling at the end, where I'm kind of a cross between happy and paranoid.

Oops.. do I sound psychotic? :P
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    -I love working out. That's key - you have to find something you love doing or you won't stick with it

-I love being accountable to myself when it comes to eating right and keeping to a workout schedule.

-I love how I look

-I love being healthy
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I love running and I love lifting so for me, it's easy to stay motivated. I can't wait to get to the gym. FInd something you like that you want to do-whether it's running, lifting, DVDs, whatever
  • tiguer
    tiguer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have had the same trouble in the past - made more complicated by the fact that the best time for me to work out is at 5am, before the rest of the house is awake. (Finding the motivation to get our of bed is TOUGH!)

There are a few things that have worked for me:
    1. My husband put his foot down on the 5am alarm and me hitting snooze until it was too late to work out. It was either get my butt out of bed, find another time to work out or sleeping in the guest room. I opted to shut the alarm off and get my tail out of bed.
    2. I found a way around the negative thoughts about working out. I LOVE to read. I bought myself an ipad and now my reading time is also my workout time. I get on the treadmill or elliptical and read while I work out. I find that its easy to lose myself in a book and not realize that my legs hurt, that I'm breathing hard, etc. Sometimes I catch up on my favorite TV show while working out - watching shows on the ipad using apps or watching streaming movies on netflix.

I'm proud to say that I have been awesome at getting my 5am workouts in for the entire month of January. I have worked out at least 4 out of 5 mornings during the week and my body has taken notice! Which is my third piece of motivation.

3. My body feels really freaking awesome right now! After 4 years of trying and failing to lose the baby weight, I'm seeing results in 4 lbs lost this month and about 3 fewer inches. My pants are feeling too big and when I get up from my desk at work, my legs, butt and arms feel firm and strong. I still have about 30 lbs to go but the way I feel is incredibly motivating.

Motivation to work out is more of a head game than anything else - find something that you enjoy and stick to it!
  • msorochan
    Options
    I stay motivated to workout by finding the right type of exercises that are fun for me. I found a fun dancy-kickboxing class that I cannot get enough of and also stay motivated by going to group classes at 24H so that the people around me keep me pumped up. Find what works for you - if you are motivated by those around you then go to a group class. If it's by improvements then take measurements and when you see yourself losing weight use that as motivation. You have to find what works for you.
  • KayWalker23
    Options
    I go to this website when I'm not feeling it.. suddenly I have a burst of energy .. hope its helps!

http://****yeahfitspo.tumblr.com/
  • KayWalker23
    Options
    oh no I guess the url had a swear word in it so it blocked it.. anyways I found it on pinterest when I typed in workout motivation

http://pinterest.com/pin/185421709629994066/
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My motivation is that I totally dig that moment when you realize that 2 weeks ago your body couldn't do what it just did...

YES!
    When I got on the elliptical 3 weeks ago I could barely do 10 minutes at level 1, had to really push. and now I'm doing 30mins at a much a higher intensity. great feeling.

Also, try and find something you like, I really hope you manage to find something to keep you motivated, because peronsally, enjoying to work out is awesome. I look forward to going to the gym and to spending time there.
    Maybe go with a friend? work in machines side by side to kinda push each other.