starting to feel DEFEATED

Options

Replies

• Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think about how much better I feel, how much better my butt looks right now (ha!), and how much I'm firming up all over with my strength training. Some of my clothes are already fitting better. There's weeks when nothing happens...then all the sudden a couple pounds come off. I think it's hard for us women b/c sometimes we're PMSing, etc. If I eat too many grains, I retain A LOT of water.

Sometime else I really love is how much better my skin is looking from all the exercise.

I told myself that this time I am not giving up. I want to give this at least 6 months. Right now I'm considering adding more calories so I am losing only .5 pounds per week. I want to make sure I'm giving myself enough calories to add muscle. I have faith if I add muscle, in the long-run this will help me burn away the fat.

Slow & steady wins the race...
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Losing 6 pounds in a month is great! If you do it slow and steady like that, instead of using extreme methods for a quick loss, you're more likely to keep it off in the long run. :drinker:

ETA: Sometimes I would go a couple of weeks without a loss and then suddenly drop.

^^ THIS!!!!
  • ramiecolwell
    Options
    I heard this as well, but I was unsure about the accuracy. A friend of mine from school did the LA Weight Loss Program quite a few years ago and she lost a ton of weight. The grapefruit thing was something she was suppose to do according to her meal plan. The second she stopped the diet, she gained ALL of it back...plus 20 lbs. more. If you google it, you'll find that grapefruit is suppose to burn fat too:)
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose in cycles. Small or no loss (sometimes even a small gain) for a few weeks followed by HUGE drops for a couple of weeks. But like several others said, try eating back at least half of your exercise calories. And quality counts, really look at the types of foods you are eating. I'm not good at this at all. I don't get anywhere close to enough good stuff, but I've gone from eating fast food at literally every meal to cooking at home the majority of the time, and that's helped a lot.
  • rmsturdy
    Options
    6 lbs in 30 days?? LUCKKYYY!

I actually gained weight the first month because I was lifting a whole bunch and my muscles were holding more fluid to recover than normal. But then it started falling off nicely.

Also I have pretty bad PMDD so the scale goes CRAZY the week before, the week during and a few days after. It's all comparative to your body. Females have the ability to fluctuate 10 lbs (five up or five down) from day to day just based on water weight alone.

Keep it up! Make sure you eat back your exercise points (Your net is what you need to shoot for), make sure you're eating enough fruits and veggies, keep your fiber intake up, get lots of sleep and keep a smile on your face. Enjoy your new journey to a healthier lifestyle!
  • libbyr80
    Options
    I put my scale away. I only weigh in every two weeks. I tend to get obsessed with the number on the scale. Focus on your calories in and exercise. Watch how your clothes fit and don't get too wrapped up in numbers.
  • Louisedowner
    Louisedowner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    have you tape measured yourself at all?
    weight is a mixture of water, i put on 7lbs 'that time of the month' and many other things.
    and with all the exercise your fat is being swapped for muscle so your shape is probably changing but for the better :)
  • tdemiter
    tdemiter Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    have you tape measured yourself at all?
    weight is a mixture of water, i put on 7lbs 'that time of the month' and many other things.
    and with all the exercise your fat is being swapped for muscle so your shape is probably changing but for the better :)

I didn't measure myself at the beginning. But I did a couple of days ago so ill have something to go off next month!
  • tdemiter
    Options
    I want instant results! Especially from the scale. But I know better. It takes time, but it's tough staying motivated when the scale isn't moving and my clothes don'tfit differently. 30 days....hoping that 60 days will be different! Just keep swimming...just keep swimming! :-)
  • alamarana2885
    alamarana2885 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've heard that taking pictures of yourself and comparing them will help too. I'm about to take my second set and hopefully see a difference, feeling pretty deflated myself. I'm glad you posted this thread, everyone's responses are making me feel better too! :flowerforyou:
  • tdemiter
    Options
    I've heard that taking pictures of yourself and comparing them will help too. I'm about to take my second set and hopefully see a difference, feeling pretty deflated myself. I'm glad you posted this thread, everyone's responses are making me feel better too! :flowerforyou:

That's why I really like MFP...great ideas, support, and encouragement!!!
  • bf43285
    bf43285 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I have started working out back in October and really serious about calorie counting for about two months now. I eat 1500 which is my TDEE(at sedentary)-20% and eat back exercise calories and have lost ONE freaking pound! I don't have the more energy thing and see no hope in sight but refuse to give up...I've hated myself enough.
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I really want to yell at you because I've been crazy committed to this since October and I've lost 3 pouns. 3. Since October. Instead I'm going to tell you to keep trucking. You're doing fine.
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    yeah i'd eat back some of the calories you burned. changing up exercises helps too because sometimes your muscles get used to the exercise your doing and it isn't as effective anymore.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ok, so it's only been 30 days since I've committed to making better choices when it comes to food and exercise!!!! I'm sticking to my calorie intake, making healthier food choices, and exercising almost everyday (walk/jog at least 5 days a week and kickboxing with weights 2/3 times a week). I drink 8 cups of water a day.

With these changes, I feel better and have more energy at work! But.....I've only lost 6 pounds....

and

I consume 1300/1400 calories a day (that's what MFP set up; I want to lose 1.5 pounds a week). I burn about 200-600 calories a day. Should I be eating back those exercise calories?

So, you might want to check your math there. You have accomplished exactly what your goal was and have lost 1.5 per week.

Be patient, give this proper time. As long as you are consistant you will see the results you are wanting.
  • tdemiter
    Options

:-)
  • tdemiter
    Options
    Ok, so it's only been 30 days since I've committed to making better choices when it comes to food and exercise!!!! I'm sticking to my calorie intake, making healthier food choices, and exercising almost everyday (walk/jog at least 5 days a week and kickboxing with weights 2/3 times a week). I drink 8 cups of water a day.

With these changes, I feel better and have more energy at work! But.....I've only lost 6 pounds....

and

I consume 1300/1400 calories a day (that's what MFP set up; I want to lose 1.5 pounds a week). I burn about 200-600 calories a day. Should I be eating back those exercise calories?

So, you might want to check your math there. You have accomplished exactly what your goal was and have lost 1.5 per week.

Be patient, give this proper time. As long as you are consistant you will see the results you are wanting.

Agreed...but it's been 2 weeks since the scale moved. I guess I am concerned because I lost the 6 pounds the first 2 weeks. Anyways, I'm still going to count and exercise!
  • shearnerve
    shearnerve Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can do it. It doesn't come quickly, but slow & steady, hard work will win out Stick with it & don't feel down.
  • tdemiter
    Options
    I am right there with you. I have started working out back in October and really serious about calorie counting for about two months now. I eat 1500 which is my TDEE(at sedentary)-20% and eat back exercise calories and have lost ONE freaking pound! I don't have the more energy thing and see no hope in sight but refuse to give up...I've hated myself enough.

Yay...for not giving up!!!! That's got to be tough!!! I am no nutritionist or dietician, but maybe save some of your exercise calories and not eat them all back? Have you changed up your exercise? Drinking plenty of water and no soda? Just some thoughts. Good luck to you!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    you have gotten some great responses, and seem to have a great attitude.

If you lose 5 to 6 pounds a month, imagine how happy you will be 5 months from now.

are you strength training?...you want to make sure you retain as much LBM as possible, so you like the way your body LOOKS as well as losing weight.