13»

Replies

• ApostleMelissa
    Options
    Do you like peanuts, walnuts?
  • Nirlbou
    Nirlbou Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ive teeth that are designed to tear flesh, so i do, I've a heart and mind to be compassionate, so I am. All things in moderation, Ive yet to see a 90yo who ate only a vegan or a carnivore lifestyle, and yes i ask.

Peas, highly underrated in today's world.

Id be more concerned with the source nation of your food, and its supply chain, then its its kingdom/phylum/class.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "Id be more concerned with the source nation of your food, and its supply chain, then its its kingdom/phylum/class..."

^^^^THIS^^^^ I hate that so much of our food comes from overseas when we once used to feed ourselves completely from our own land (and more than half of the world besides). I think it highly likely that we, as a nation, will rue the day that we allowed cheap food imports to destroy the family farm in favor of agribusiness.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    proteinzz for dem gainzzz!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    "Id be more concerned with the source nation of your food, and its supply chain, then its its kingdom/phylum/class..."

^^^^THIS^^^^ I hate that so much of our food comes from overseas when we once used to feed ourselves completely from our own land (and more than half of the world besides). I think it highly likely that we, as a nation, will rue the day that we allowed cheap food imports to destroy the family farm in favor of agribusiness.

because less efficient farming and food distribution, leading to higher prices and decreased variety/availability is good for the US consumer how?

does not make sense.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and aim to get at least 120g of protein a day (based on 1g of protein per lb of LBM as I am on a deficit and exercise and want to make sure I maintain LBM).

My staples are:

Milk
    Greek Yogurt
    "Fake Meat' such as gardein products, field roast products, quorn, soy and seitan
    Whey/casein protein powder

Some additional foods that are pretty good as 'top ups' are:
    Nutritional Yeast
    Hemp sees
    Certain veggies such as mushrooms, brussels etc (not a lot but they do contain some)
    Nuts and seeds (but they are high in fat)
    Other dairy
    Eggs
    Quinoa and other grains and legumes (beans are pretty high)
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

because less efficient farming and food distribution, leading to higher prices and decreased variety/availability is good for the US consumer how?

does not make sense.

It makes total sense when you think about the possibility of certain nations cutting off our food supply for geo-political reasons. History tells us that we should never make ourselves so vulnerable to the whims of other nations. We also make ourselves vulnerable to the whims of the CEOs of large agribusiness concerns who have a large lobbying effort in Washington. OP, sorry for the side-tracking.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have too much (for me, that's only around 100g) than too little. From what I've read and what I've lived, this amount is perfect (I actually prefer about 115 on my train days,) for building and maintaining muscle as well as guiding my appetite toward healthy, satisfying choices. It is different for everyone, based on activity level, activity type, and plain old personal preference/body type. However, I think it is clear that the FDA is misleading people with the RDI for carbs/protein/fat split.

The FDA mislead people!? WHAT?

:P

I hate the FDA. lol

Lol. The FDA has NOTHING to do with the RDI.
    Suggest you read the iom.edu document. There is no upper limit in their reco except as to how it relates to balancing other macros.
  • loadbang
    Options
    I have been vegetarian since the start of the year and I've been tracking my food again since yesterday and I've been way short on protein. Like I'm 100+ shy. Even before going veg I hated eating meat I only ate it for dinner for lack of another option now I don't even before going veg I was crazy short. How do I get it in?
    I wouldn't follow myfitnesspal for protein, fats, vitamins etc. Some reason many foods are either incorrect or incomplete with their nutritional values. It's only kcalories which is correct.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I eat a mostly vegan diet myself, and I get anywhere from 100-140g protein a day. totally doable. :)

The quality of animos should be taken into consideration with vegetarian diets. Assuming whey protein is allowed and dairy, you'll be alright. But please. none of this nonsense about the amino acids in apples being of complete profile...i'm all for vegetarianism, until the vegetarian bodybuilder tries to convince me that their quality of protein is the same I get from meats. From there it's basically a comparison of our body aesthetics. Assuming we both work equally hard in the gym.

not apples, but quinoa, hemp, etc are complete proteins with all the essential amino acids... so... not sure what your point is.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I eat a mostly vegan diet myself, and I get anywhere from 100-140g protein a day. totally doable. :)

The quality of animos should be taken into consideration with vegetarian diets. Assuming whey protein is allowed and dairy, you'll be alright. But please. none of this nonsense about the amino acids in apples being of complete profile...i'm all for vegetarianism, until the vegetarian bodybuilder tries to convince me that their quality of protein is the same I get from meats. From there it's basically a comparison of our body aesthetics. Assuming we both work equally hard in the gym.

not apples, but quinoa, hemp, etc are complete proteins with all the essential amino acids... so... not sure what your point is.

I agree that quinoa, hemp, etc are good sources of protein but you must still deal with the problem of getting your "macro-minerals" (calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc). This is a significant problem because a solely plant-based diet will be very high in phytic acid and phytic acid binds those minerals, making them unavailable for uptake. Even supplements may not help (and besides, magnesium supplements tend to cause gastric distress and compounds the problem). Most athletes are magnesium deficient anyway and a vegan diet could make him/her VERY magnesium deficient. If you are magnesium deficient, you will also be potassium-deficient (as the body will not store potassium when it is magnesium deficient). Could precipitate cardiac problems. An ovo-lacto-piscatory (fish) vegetarianism is a quite healthy diet---a vegan diet, not so much.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I agree that quinoa, hemp, etc are good sources of protein but you must still deal with the problem of getting your "macro-minerals" (calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc). This is a significant problem because a solely plant-based diet will be very high in phytic acid and phytic acid binds those minerals, making them unavailable for uptake. Even supplements may not help (and besides, magnesium supplements tend to cause gastric distress and compounds the problem). Most athletes are magnesium deficient anyway and a vegan diet could make him/her VERY magnesium deficient. If you are magnesium deficient, you will also be potassium-deficient (as the body will not store potassium when it is magnesium deficient). Could precipitate cardiac problems. An ovo-lacto-piscatory (fish) vegetarianism is a quite healthy diet---a vegan diet, not so much.

if you're interested, check out the book Thrive by Brendan Brazier - he's a professional ironman triathlete and vegan. It IS possible to meet all your nutritional needs without supplementation, you just have to get creative and eat foods that aren't typically available in a western diet. Things like Chlorella, Maca, Seaweeds, Nutritional Yeast, Chia, grains like Teff, Spelt and Millet - which have high levels of things like magnesium, iron, etc

if there's a will, there's a way. but it IS important that vegans and vegetarians recognize the risk factors and do enough research to know how to handle them and eat accordingly. Many don't, which accounts for the skinny pale stereotype.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

if you're interested, check out the book Thrive by Brendan Brazier - he's a professional ironman triathlete and vegan. It IS possible to meet all your nutritional needs without supplementation, you just have to get creative and eat foods that aren't typically available in a western diet. Things like Chlorella, Maca, Seaweeds, Nutritional Yeast, Chia, grains like Teff, Spelt and Millet - which have high levels of things like magnesium, iron, etc

if there's a will, there's a way. but it IS important that vegans and vegetarians recognize the risk factors and do enough research to know how to handle them and eat accordingly. Many don't, which accounts for the skinny pale stereotype.

I'm glad that you are aware of the dangers and take steps to head them off. :smile: There are a number of high school kids here about who often fool around with a vegan diet because it is trendy. But they don't know what they are doing and get sickly. Fortunately, they usually abandon the diet fairly quickly---but some of them don't and wind up with problems. They think they can just eat what they used to eat minus the meat, eggs, dairy, etc. :frown: