Wisdom Teeth Extraction - What can I eat?

Options
I had all of my wisdom teeth taken out today and I fear its going to set me on the path to eating rubbish again...
Ive stocked the fridge with up and go shakes, stuff for smoothies,V8 juice and homemade soup. I think Im going to get sick of that very quickly, has anyone got some suggestions for something soft and healthy?

Thanks in advance
Rae

Replies

• SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I had all of mine out in a oner too. Plain omelettes are ok if you flatten them on the fork and can open your mouth to get the fork in in the first place! Just avoid anything sharp or too chewy. Soups and smoothies are great but get boring pretty quick. I was just getting my little one on solids when I had them out and I sure can vouch for liquidised roast dinners :happy:
    Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • raeganjayne15
    Options
    I can open my mouth tonight but I fear its going to get worse before it gets better. Might just try and put whatever I can in the blender when I get sick of everything else :P
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    oatmeal ?? u cant put loads o stuff in it! What about fruit like berries and banana they are soft
  • raeganjayne15
    Options
    Oh I love oameal! I'll give it a go, maybe add it blended to smoothies. I think being able to open my mouth big enough to accommodate more than a straw could be the biggest issue...
  • Songmartine
    Songmartine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Had my wisdom teeth out last year. I lived on rice, mashed potatoes, pudding & protein shakes :)
  • metalgearpanda
    metalgearpanda Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had all of mine taken out in November, I was terrified about it, all of them in one go, apart from feeling like the godfather with puffed out cheeks the pain wasnt too bad but make sure you have extra strength paracetamol, they gave me cocodamol and it made me sick,

Food wise...eggs...eggs and more eggs....soup and soft stuff, that's what i survived on for a week and a bit, then i tried to progress a bit further...ended up with soggy crisps cause I couldnt chew well, pasta is good as well as it's soft and goes over easy. But you may feel like your turning into an egg, I know I did!

Also if you are making things to drink...you will have to make sure you dont drink through a straw to start with as it can dislodge the clots (just a wee warning as it's not nice if that happens)!
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    there was a similar thread yesterday-check this one out for some ideas

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/863278-help-soft-food-diet-ideas?hl=soft+foods#posts-12981913
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, mashed potato, pasta, soup, porridge, banana. You'll get frustrated at first but it will heal fine.

Just don't use a straw as this can unblock the blood lots formed over the healing site.
  • cielbee
    cielbee Posts: 62
    Options
    I highly recommend the soup idea. I made my sister a big pot of vichyssoise soup when she had her wisdom teeth out. Really you could blend up just about any soup to make it easy to eat. Somehow the thought of living on things like oatmeal, yogurt and pudding make me crave savory foods. Plus it's cold where I am and I keep wanting warm food. I also think something liked mashed sweet potato would be delicious.
  • raeganjayne15
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I lived off mashed potatoes with double gravy to thin it out. Jello, pudding, tapioca (small pearl so I wouldn't have to chew but I find tapioca more filling than regular pudding), and oddly enough, small shrimp I could swallow whole.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Had my wisdom teeth out last year. I lived on rice, mashed potatoes, pudding & protein shakes :)

For how long? I need to have mine extracted also.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Advice - DO NOT suck through a straw!!!!! You can dislodge the clot and cause a really painful dry socket. Just use a spoon and take small swallows.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I had all of mine cut out a few years back. It's going to sound really weird, but I overcooked noodles and swallowed them without chewing, haha. Maybe not the bast for you, but it got the job done. :)
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Oh I love oameal! I'll give it a go, maybe add it blended to smoothies. I think being able to open my mouth big enough to accommodate more than a straw could be the biggest issue...

DON'T drink out of a straw! Oh man, if they didn't tell you this, then they are not good dentists! I don't remember for how long, but stay away from a straw, find out how long. Drinking out of a straw can **** everything up, and the stitches could come out. I know someone who felt like they were healed but used a straw too soon and had to go back in to the dentist. Anything that you don't have to chew is fine.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    sooooooooooooooop

i had one removed last week and i have another to get removed soon :( apparently my jaw line isn't big enough for wisdom teeth :((

I must be thick ;):))
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options

For how long? I need to have mine extracted also.

I believe it is about three to four days, before you are supposed to wait to start chewing food. I think it's three days if I remember correctly. I remember living on pudding, obviously not healthy.
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    Just think cool and soft.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    And avoid anything with rice or similar for a while - you don't want any little bits getting stuck in the holes, ouch!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Soup...mashed potatoes...and be careful! I had mine out years ago. I was careless and had a horrible experience with dry socket.