Does Anyone Else Stockpile Calories For Dinner??

Options
I've been dieting for a few weeks now (1,200 calories per day) and I've noticed that I tend to eat very sparsely during the day so I can have the most calories at dinner time. I know this isn't a balanced way to go but I suppose I feel I'd rather eat more at dinner (and have something to look forward to), than "waste" calories at breakfast, especially. I'm working harder on getting something in during the mornings but I'd much rather eat later (which in turn, messes with metabolism). This habit makes the day go especially long but I feel more secure knowing I've saved most of my calories for the end of the day. Anyone else do this?

Replies

• usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't make a habit of it, but if I know I'll be eating out for dinner or something, I'll adjust my calorie intake accordingly for that day. With the superbowl coming up, I suspect you'll see a number of threads of people doing just that. But I don't do it on a daily basis like you do. I just try to stay under my calorie goal each day, regardless of how I space my meals.

I'm not a dietitian, so I can't offer you an expert opinion. I can tell you though that I know a lot of people eat the same way you do (big meal at the end of the day), and a lot of other people follow the king-prince-peasant approach. So like everything else, I think the answer is "find what works for you". Good luck Erin!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I don't purposely stockpile calories for later in the day, that's just my natural preference. I graze on little stuff during the day then eat the vast majority of my calories between dinner and bedtime. That's just when I'm hungry, so that's when I eat. It works for me-I wouldn't do it that way if I was "forcing" myself to eat on that schedule - just as I don't force myself to eat more during the day just to eat less at night. It's much easier for me to sustain a pattern that follows my preferences.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't think timing of your meals matters all that much. Nothing wrong with nibbling throughout the day and consuming most of your calories at dinner. It isn't going to destroy your progress.

I do this all the time.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I do. I eat little stuff all day to keep the hunger at bay, and then I eat a big dinner and it's awesome.
  • sclarktiw
    sclarktiw Posts: 217
    Options
    I do all the time...I am on 1550 calories a day...I aim for 25% at breakfast and the same for lunch and 10% for snacks and the remainder 40% for dinner...and it is working for me...
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I do it intentionally, but it seems to work out this way. I generally eat only about 60% of my calories during the day and about 40% from 5:00 p.m. onward. I pretty much feel it doesn't matter when you eat your calories, as long as you are under. It has worked that way for me anyway.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    we only got to eat properly in the evenings as kids with my brother

we never ate anything until like 3 PM...

I feel I am unable to change this as an adult. I cant eat anything until like 2 PM or something.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do this everyday. It's how I've eaten all my life.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to a nice hearty meal gives me a reason to live :)
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I do that too, but I also work out as soon as I get home at suppertime, so that's when I need the most calories and am hungry after working out.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I do, and I always have. That is my big meal of the day, and always will be! With that said, my dinner is almost always healthy anyway.
  • losingdreamie
    Options
    I do the same thing. I figure at night is when the temptations arise so I like to be prepared and have the calories to spare so I don't feel guilty afterwards. So far it has worked fine for me.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. Timing of meals don't really matter and skipping breakfast also doesn't matter. I really don't like breakfast and so I typically skip it. I'm not hungry at breakfast time either so it makes doing "IF" easy. I tend to like a small feed window and it works for me. Lost 100 pounds in 9 months and reached 110 by one year. Calories in vs. calories out and fine tune your macros.
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am a bit obsessive about it.
    I make sure to leave at least 700 calories for dinner (even though I KNOW I won't eat that much) just in case.

But at least these days I'm eating breakfast. Before this diet thing I'd only have coffee until lunch time.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    i do it when i know there is a party to attend or a formal eating out.don't like to eat more than is allowed
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yep. I eat enough during the day so that I don't starve and binge, but save most of my calories for dinner. And dessert. There's nothing unhealthy about stacking your calories, as long as your hunger earlier in the day doesn't lead to binging.
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    That's pretty much what it boils down to for me, too. If I don't eat enough before I go to sleep, I awaken at 2 or 3 AM and have to eat before I can go back to sleep. If I eat a nice dinner , I'm set for the night and more productive the following day. Seems like you've found your comfort zone!
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am generally not very hungry in the day but starving come evening. I make sure I have a good wedge left so I can have my dinner and some odd snacks. My doctor told me it was calories in calories out and that time of day business is nonsense.

Is working for me.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    LOL I used to do that when I first started. now that I workout (specially weight training) I have so many extra calories I can eat healthy good portioned meals throughout the entire day. Do what works for you , if you feel hungry throughout the day or go to sleep hungry or feel lack of energy for workouts you might want to think about upping your calories.
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I usually do that. I typically will have a large breakfast/balanced breakfast, nothing for lunch, i'll snack halfway through with some fruit or a granola bar and then my dinner is big. It usually works for me!
    A lot of dieticians recommend to eat 6-8 small meals a day, but i just like eating when i actually feel hungry.