Fat-Shaming May Curb Obesity?

Options

Replies

• maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    yeah, because the constant shame and embarrassment heaped upon the overweight people of the world is working really well so far

What she said...
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of bullying or shaming but I'm a firm believer in NOT coddling people. It worked well for smokers. Are feelings more important than health?
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I dont think we should shame people for being obese, but also dont play into it when people use that as an excuse. Im tired of hearing people say hes just big boned or its genetics. I spent the better part of my young adult life over weight and used that as an excuse, oh I just have a big frame, blah blah ... and no one would say anything other wise, then one day a close friend was just like no man, you not your just fat... and yeah for me that sparked a fire that started my change. So no i dont think shaming is the best way to go about it for everyone, but a good dose of reality for some over weight people would be good.

I was told I was fat by my sister and mother in my youth and that only led to secret eating and gaining more weight. Definitely not the way to go. In my early 20's I used the "I'm just big boned" argument...and that was a lie.

Honestly, if society were to pick up on shaming (bullying) fat people, I believe there would be a drastic increase in number of suicides. Speaking for myself, when I was eating horribly, I felt horribly, and the littlest things could set me into a binge and pity party of epic proportions. I thank God daily for every day that goes by that I don't have the thought of over eating, because it is a day by day thing for me, but when I was in my teens, I considered suicide because of the bullying I got at school and at home.
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like that will lead to more obesity. If I am shamed for eating...makes me want to eat in secret. Lets give people a bigger problem. Yeah, that'll work (insert sarcasm).

This, I have Binge Eating Disorder and being arseholes about my weight or bringing it up is a huge trigger for me.
  • ej_glen
    ej_glen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, all the fat shaming comments aimed at me so far haven't worked.

Oddly enough, it's only been drowning out the "noise" of the criticism and listening to good friends and people who care about me that have made me realise I'm worth something. And that's what has motivated me to lose weight for my own health, appearance and happiness.
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options
    Only thing that has worked for me personally is being ready to do it for myself. Shaming me would just make me want to eat comfort foods. So for me and many like me no it won't help could in fact make us eat more.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yeah all those years of countless insults from strangers and families have really done the trick for me. *eye roll*
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    Just sad...why do you think most people are obese?? because they don't believe in themselves (or when younger don't have parents that teach them healthy habits). its all about lifting up people and realizing that they won't change unless they WANT to. That they are worth being healthy, and teachings kids and adults...having stricter food laws and taking the processed food crap out of the stores might help a bit. Having good healthy food cheaper might save our country. Makes me just sad and sick, I'm so thankful I can afford healthy things for my family.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I don't know - it might work. Most likely only because the obese people end up committing suicide and reducing their numbers. Other than that? No.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    frankly i only worry about my own weight.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Personally, it was critical and derogatory comments that made me binge and then pile on the pounds in the first place. Many overweight people emotional eat. This is a ridiculous and insensitive idea.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I can't quite come down on one side of this.

The counselor in me FIRMLY belives that bullying is intolerable and never okay. I don't see how shaming (how is he describing shaming??) would make someone feel bad enough to change but not bad enough to still love themselves. Since when did shredding a person's self worth become an acceptable approach to anything in life?

HOWEVER...

I see too many obese kids these days. I don't mean with cute chipmunk cheeks but seriously, dangerously obese. Something in our culture has to change. From childhood,. we are setting people up for major health problems. And I just cannot be okay with a child who is so heavy that WALKING from one class to another is a struggle. I have more than 1 student like that. actually quite a few. And while we may make fun of fat people, apparently there is some culture of acceptance as our obesity rates in America just keep rising and rising.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So I let my initial emotional reaction pass and read the actual paper in the Hastings Report. Daniel Callahan, IMO, cares deeply about the obesity epidemic, especially with regard to children, and change is not happening fast enough for him. He went into social scientist panic mode and wrote it down.

He...should probably lay low for a while.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Shaming, no. But there is a difference between shaming and tough love. They know that they are obese and most are ashamed to begin with. Pointing out these flaws does nothing. A constructive conversation about health issues and the basic steps it takes to get to a healthy weight would probably be a much more beneficial conversation.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    don't agree with shaming, but I think our society has become too accepting of it. For example, restaurants that serve portions that are 3-4x what people SHOULD eat, changing clothes sizes to allow larger people to wear smaller sizes, etc.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming worked for me but it didn't for my little sister. It's a dumb idea to even consider.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Well, one of the arguments was that public shaming of smokers worked to get people to quit smoking.

Some people are genetically predisposed to obesity. Medical issues. Hormonal problems. No one is predisposed to smoking.

Not that that is an excuse to be obese, but it's also very easy for a slender person to make this assumption.
    Public shaming of smokers never made me want to quit smoking. All it made we want to do was say "go **** ******* ***** ********" to the person complaining about smokers.

Thomas, I love you a little more right now.

I was made fun of for being fat when I was kid even by kids fatter than I was, it didn't help. I would just eat to make myself feel better.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was bullied into losing weight and after losing 40 pounds (I was 172 my highest ever) I looked horrible because I did it the wrong way (starved mostly and if I did eat, I exercised it off). I worstened my anemia, my calcium levels were too low, and I was constantly angry with the world. Since then I gained back 15 pounds but this time want to lose it the right way.. the healthy way. Not by being bullied (by my oldest sis mostly) but by doing it my way.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That sounds horrible and completely ineffective.

That being said, I do there is something to be sad for society's increasing pride in being overweight. While I certainly don't think we should judge or shame anyone for their weight, we as a society should be encouraging health and self-acceptance, not acting like being overweight is a point of pride or that fit people are not as happy as fat ones. That is just ridiculous.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    We have become a society of bullies if that is the answer. Truly sad.

People know they have a problem, some just do not know how to get out of it.