better breakfast options

Options

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you mean just for you or for your children too?

Smoothies are so fast to make at home - two servings frozen mixed berries, whey powder and/ or cottage cheese and/ or soft cheese, a banana or avocado, some canned pumpkin or frozen spinach, liquid as needed, maybe a little sweetener. Measure and defrost the frozen stuff the night before so you just throw the ingredients in, blend, rinse the blade under a running tap, lid your container and go within two minutes.

Or overnight refrigerator oats soaked in milk or Greek yoghurt not water, can add dried fruit and nuts the night before so they soften or throw in a handful in the morning for texture. Or a cold vegetable frittata - veggies of choice, eggs, cottage cheese or low fat soft cheese, seasonings, grated cheese if you wish.

Some of the recipes can be made ahead of time
    http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/category/food/meals/breakfasts
  • ITn1nja
    ITn1nja Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think we have our meal portions backwards. We (assuming USA citizens of average eating habits) eat a small to medium meal for breakfast, a medium to small meal for lunch, and a relatively large meal for dinner.

I propose that your largest meal should be breakfast and your smallest meal dinner. Eat what you want for breakfast to fuel your day. balance and supplement with a sensible lunch and a light dinner.
  • DoxiePupMom
    DoxiePupMom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm always on the run too and don't have the time to prepare anything. Today I ordered the Subway 6" Breakfast Egg & Ham Flatbread with tomato and bell peppers + Coffee for $3.00. Since I'm limiting carbs I threw away the flatbread. It holds me over and is cheaper than Mcdonalds.
  • beverlyl64
    Options
    You can make steel cut oats the night before and warm in the microwave the next morning, top with fresh fruit. A piece of fresh fruit and a piece of whole wheat toast. Just some things I've done in the past.
  • bglisson
    bglisson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible commute and leave my house every morning at 4:30am, so I have to have a healthy breakfast that will keep me full until lunch. What's currently working for me is making a breakfast casserole on Sundays then reheating a portion when I get to work each day. I cook a pound of sausage, and then add 1 chopped red bell pepper and 8 cups of raw spinach, cook until the spinach has wilted, I remove from the heat and add it to a bowl of 12 beaten eggs. I pour into a 9 x 13 greased pan and sprinkle 4 oz of grated cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 30 minutes. Once it's cooled I divide into 8 portions and wrap them separately. Then each day I grab one and reheat in the microwave for 45 seconds. They last me all week and keep me full. The recipe modifies easily with other meats and veggies (even leftovers), but that one is my current favorite. It's gluten free and low carb.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Bump because breakfast is my bane.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Have you tried oatmeal smoothies? You can find tons of recipies by just using Bing or Google. The best part? You can make them the night before and leave them in the fridge to grab and go in the AM. I also know people that make a large batch at once and freeze them for weeks at a time.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    PS)If you have the 5 minutes to run through drive thru, you have the 5 minutes to make something at home.

Learned this myself regarding dinner. Rotisserie chicken and bagged salad much better option than Wendys baconator!
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yeah, breakfast is a constant issue on school mornings. We hardboil a dozen eggs every week and take those to go, and add a banana or yogurt or something else you can down real quick. If you have to hit a drive-thru, the Subway egg white muffins aren't too terrible for you and offer some veggies, protein, carbs. At McDonald's, a plain egg mcmuffin without cheese isn't too bad but the oatmeal or fruit & yogurt might be better. I usually have one or two things at every chain restaurant I've looked up ahead of time and know I can order safely, but there's currently a McDonald's ban at our house so I don't know one for there for sure.

(I'm lucky cause my husband usually makes breakfast for everyone, but on days he's not, I just do low-cal fiber cereal and some light soy milk, which keeps me going till a snack later... as a mom I'm sure you've already mastered how to bolt your food and get out the door)
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've started hard boiling a few eggs off at a time, keep them in a container in the fridge. Easy grab and go, especially if you're in a rush in the morning, plus good source of protein and healthy fats. I have one alongside my porridge in the mornings. My other go to is usually some wholewheat toast with peanut butter and banana.
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    also a working mom trying to get out the door in the morniing.... i make sure to boil a dozen eggs on Sunday so they are ready to grab, also I have made the egg muffins on Sunday for the week and lately i have been doing the Overnight Oats.... 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 scoop of protein powder, 1 tbsp Chia seeds, i have added 1/2 tsp of cocoa and 1 tbsp of almond or peanut butter. just put in a jar shake and put in the fridge and grab and go in the morning! you can add any fruits, nuts or whatever you like. around 25 grams of protein, 350 calories 6-8 grams of sugar.....
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    Bumping back up. I appreciate all the suggestions, as well!
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible commute and leave my house every morning at 4:30am, so I have to have a healthy breakfast that will keep me full until lunch. What's currently working for me is making a breakfast casserole on Sundays then reheating a portion when I get to work each day. I cook a pound of sausage, and then add 1 chopped red bell pepper and 8 cups of raw spinach, cook until the spinach has wilted, I remove from the heat and add it to a bowl of 12 beaten eggs. I pour into a 9 x 13 greased pan and sprinkle 4 oz of grated cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 30 minutes. Once it's cooled I divide into 8 portions and wrap them separately. Then each day I grab one and reheat in the microwave for 45 seconds. They last me all week and keep me full. The recipe modifies easily with other meats and veggies (even leftovers), but that one is my current favorite. It's gluten free and low carb.
    yum!! i think i will try this on Sunday for the week.... thanks!! :smile:
  • aplmom
    aplmom Posts: 5
    Options
    The new sausage, egg and cheese flatbread sandwiches by Special K are really good. They take a minute and a half in the microwave, and they're pretty darn tasty. The veggie egg one is good too, but the egg is super watery and gets the bread soggy if you cook it by the directions, so I micro the egg separately and squish the water out of it with paper towels. The SEC one doesn't do that. Also, the cheese on these is actually real cheese, not the nasty stuff that is on the WW smart ones muffins. Good luck!
  • aplmom
    aplmom Posts: 5
    Options
    This recipe sounds really good! Do you happen to know the calorie/fat/carb/protein counts on it? :smile:
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I make ahead breakfast sandwiches and freeze them. I use Land O Lakes canadian bacon- 3 slices =36calories, 1 Orowheat multi grain sandwich buns =100 calories and a slice of Borden cheddar cheese fat free sharp=30 calories. 166 calories total!
  • tnbagwell
    Options
    I haven't tried this or looked at the nutritional value, but Subway has an egg white and cheese sandwich that looks promising.

Usually I do a Slim-Fast shake, but I tend not to have time for large breakfasts.

Often, though, I'll get a breakfast taco from the cafe downstairs from where I work. Sometimes egg white instead of egg, with bell peppers and jalapenos (no cheese) and some potato on a whole wheat tortilla. I believe this clocks in at around 200-250 calories and is filling. (Less if I go with egg whites.)
  • foshemar
    Options
    love these ideas. I am trying to have my breakfast mainly protein, saving my carbs for later in the day. I like the subway idea since I eat out ALOT.
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump - diggin' a bunch of these ideas....
  • bglisson
    bglisson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you meant my breakfast casserole recipe or not, but it breaks down to 8 servings: Each serving is 339 cal; 4g carb; 27g fat; 20g protein (per the MFP recipe calculator)