How many fruit a day?

Options
sjmay
sjmay Posts: 386 Member
I'm just curious how many fruit people eat each day? I've been eating more fruit lately and I just want to make sure that I'm not eating too many. I stay within my calorie range, but I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't eat more than 2 a day (I don't know if this is true!!!!)

So, I'm just curious, how many pieces of fruit do you eat in a day?

Thanks!

Replies

• erinmargaret76
    erinmargaret76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i usually eat 2 but no more than 3. i was told not to eat more because of their natural sugar content :):happy:
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    I think eating fruit is a lot better then most snacks out there. When I was on weight watchers we had to eat a combination of at least 5 fruits and vegetables a day. A nutritionist I went to see said 3 fruits and 3-5 vegetables a day or about 2 1/2 cups. One thing I notice about fruits though is that some of them are higher in carbs than others so that could make a differnce in weight loss results.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    normally 2, but it consists of 1/2 grapefruit and half a banana.
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    I LOVE fruit... I start the day w/ a smoothie with frozen strawberries, blueberries & banana (& spinach, too)... I typically have at least 1 more fruit during the day... but more if I have a need to sweet... the sugar in fruit is natural... it is the way God intended us to have fruit. If you eat a healthy diet full of fresh (mostly raw) fruits and veggies... then I cannot imagine it is so terrible for you... I know others will disagree... but I don't even track sugar b/c I eat a lot of fruit but zero processed sugar.
    I suppose moderation will always win out, though!
    :o)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    No more than 3 servings is probably best, but remember to eat pieces of fruit that are not too big. I was also advised by a nutruitionist that when eating fruit as a snack you should also eat some protein with it...like a small apple and string cheese, or banana with peanut butter.
  • semperfiwife
    Options
    I usually eat around 3 servings a day, I've given up all snacks with processed sugar, so if I get a sweet tooth sometimes it will be more like 4 servings. I usually do as Imedvic said and pair it with protein. I aim for about 2 veggie servings a day as well.
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    there is a big health campaign in australia that says 2 fruit 5 veg as a min for the day. Sure you shouldnt eat toooo much fruit, but if your in calorie range i wouldnt stress about if its too much fruit... yes it has some natural sugar but there is a lot of good nutrition in there ... and if a banana stops you eating a mars bar ... it can be too bad!!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 3-5 a day and at least 6 servings of veggies (I'm a vegetarin though).
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It seems like everyone has close to the same amount each day. I know that the fruit's natural sugar is good for you, but I was concerned with over doing it.