How often to exercise??

Options

Replies

• smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I joined fitness classes last week -- spinning, yoga, gravity. Spinning is my favorite. I dropped yoga yesterday. I exercise about 2 hours a day M-TH (FRIDAY IS OFF) and 1 HR Sat and 1 HR Sun. I am finding that I am eating more, but I have ramped up my exercise intensity. I even felt sick last week so I didn't exercise on Thurs. It might have been because I was not used to the increased exercise level. I dropped the yoga yesterday as I didn't care for it. I imagine that it will take a while for me to modulate my eating and exercise to sync together. I certainly feel like I deserve to have lost more :sad: But I didn't put on my 25 lbs overnight, and so it will not come off that easy. Just stick with it! Exercise daily with fervor - like you love it! Good luck to you all!
  • nicnak8585
    Options
    Thanks everyone, i joined this site after reading the message boards because everyone seems so helpful and willing to motivate others.

I have moved up 3 resistance levels on my bike since starting 2 weeks ago and i definately feel my fitness levels are improving, as i'm a smoker i used to get quite out of breath when walking to work and back home, but now i can breathe with ease and i generally feel excited about exercising.

Good luck to everyone trying to lose those unwanted pounds, i went from a size 8 jeans to a size 14 after starting taking Sertraline (Zoloft) for PMS, my weight sky rocketed and i feltl hungry a lot, but exercising more seems to curb my hunger... FANTASTIC!! :happy:
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You guys work out too much, you need to rest more often!

3, 4 days a week tops. Rest!!! Get lots of rest. And lift weights.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    While I won't tell anyone what is "too much" for their body/lifestyle, I think the AVERAGE healthy person can stand to work out about 4-5 days a week, with 2-3 half hour/45 min cardio sessions and then 3 weightlifting sessions. I think that any more than that may work for A WHILE, until your enthusiasm wears off, your caloric demands exceed your energy and, in general, life demands get in the way. Wouldn't you rather be healthy and fit for the next 10-15 years rather than the next 1-5 months. Start slow, 3 days a week with an hour split between cardio/strength. and then maybe add another day of whichever you find is more effective. A hallmark of an unsuccessful dieter is someone who is "all or nothing" and then gets burnt out from the unreasonable food and exercise demands they've put on themselves. Exercise and food should be a PART of your life, like the old saying, "Eat to live, don't live to eat!"
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You guys work out too much, you need to rest more often!

3, 4 days a week tops. Rest!!! Get lots of rest. And lift weights.

Nah, I like the fact that I am about to pull a 500+ pound deadlift PR this week, and I've only been lifting since late August.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    While I won't tell anyone what is "too much" for their body/lifestyle, I think...

I will tell them what's too much. The OP is new, and all these people saying to work out 6 days a week. Your body needs time to rest, and rest is paramount to success. Are these 6 day a weekers really achieving their goals? Or are they working out too much, and overdoing it.

I go every other day for 60-80mins, so 3-4 days a week. And I see great results and progress at that. I don't know why a new person would want to work out 6 days a week, that's bad advice IMO.
  • jehavin
    Options
    Also, don't forget to take a week off every now and then, (for me, it's about every 6-8 weeks, I just have a crazy week and need to use my gym time for other things,) and you'll actually see strength and endurance GAINS when you go back. Just like your body and mind need a "food cheat day" to feel restored/normal, taking a week vacation from the gym can be the difference between you keeping up a lifelong exercise routine or just quitting out of frustration/boredom. Good luck, OP. Exercise is a great energy booster, self-esteem builder, etc, not just the number on the scale!
  • jehavin
    Options
    While I won't tell anyone what is "too much" for their body/lifestyle, I think...

I will tell them what's too much. The OP is new, and all these people saying to work out 6 days a week. Your body needs time to rest, and rest is paramount to success. Are these 6 day a weekers really achieving their goals? Or are they working out too much, and overdoing it.

I go every other day for 60-80mins, so 3-4 days a week. And I see great results and progress at that. I don't know why a new person would want to work out 6 days a week, that's bad advice IMO.
    Lol, I agree with you; I just worded mine so as to keep the focus on the OP's question and prevent a bickering fest from all the "super exercisers." However, every word you've said is true, IMO. =)

Previous posters, I would have to ask, are all the stats in your posts how you *started* when you were new? I can see working up to those numbers, (I've done 6 day a week training when I was at the apex of my lifting goals,) although, as I said before, I don't think 6 day/week multi-hour sessions are sustainable for a permanent lifestyle change, which is what the OP (and the rest of us) should all aim for!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

When you are a newbro is the BEST time to go hard and heavy. You will never see strength and mass gains this fast again, so for the first six months, why not go balls out and rip the weight? It was put best when I saw "The B in beginner does not stand for *****".
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I pledged to do SOME type of activity for at least 20 minutes every day of the year. So far, so good. I am trying to do a little bit of everything:

Monday: legs, butt and lower abs
    Tuesday: Cardio/Zumba
    Wednesday: walking
    Thursday: Zumba
    Friday: stretching
    Saturday: walking
    Sunday: arms, shoulders and abs

I do 30 minutes at least of each, with the exception of cardio/Zumba, which lasts for an hour.

I find myself getting sore, but not miserable, cant go on, sore.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Generally I will workout about 3 days a week in the gym, I combine my lift days,(ie ohp/deadlifts together and bench/squat together). While I might be in the gym a bit longer on those day, I like the fact that I am not having to go to the gym more often. I like to spend time with family when I can. When it is nice outside on my off days I like to run outside or take hikes with my family. I think it really all depends on what works for you and your schedule.
  • jehavin
    Options

When you are a newbro is the BEST time to go hard and heavy. You will never see strength and mass gains this fast again, so for the first six months, why not go balls out and rip the weight? It was put best when I saw "The B in beginner does not stand for *****".

This is a recipe for injury and, in turn, quitting.
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    I work out for a half hour to an hour 6 days a week . An hour on my exercise bike . The 30 minute days are workout DVDs .
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options

What is exactly right for you is not the same for everyone. The OP asked how often / for how long people were working out.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a newbie working out 6 days per week. The frequency of workouts is only one of the variables.
    intensity, duration, and frequency determine how much stress is put on the body. Other external factors such as illness, sleep quality, nutrition, and work /family stress determine how much excersize stress the body can handle.

As we stress the body via a workout it adapts and can handle greater stress loads which means you can workout harder / longer /more often

I agree that you should not go hard more than 3-4 days per week. Where I do not agree is that you need 3-4 days of REST per week. Active recovery 2-3 days per week is where it is at!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

This is a recipe for injury and, in turn, quitting.

That's all in the mindset of the individual. Injuries can happen anywhere, at any time. As I said before, I've only been lifting since late August. I've had two injuries since then, and one was pure stupidity on my part (lost my balance while squatting and twisted my ankle with 315 on my shoulders). However, my 1085 total (455 DL/395 squat/235BP) at a bodyweight of 210 (was 245 when I started) in five months says that my method of doing things works. Will it work for raging sissies who are scared of pain and hurting themselves? Probably not. But to say that it doesn't work at all is just ridiculous.
  • jehavin
    Options
    I just really can't take your posts seriously with all the "bro-isms." I feel like either you're starring in a one-man pissing contest or just full of crap, not trying to help the OP.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I just really can't take your posts seriously with all the "bro-isms." I feel like either you're starring in a one-man pissing contest or just full of crap, not trying to help the OP.

Not at all. I've had this argument with people before, especially on here. Someone comes on asking if they can exercise/lift five/six or more times per week. Inevitably, someone with the physical achievement of Sally Struthers tells them that working out too much might make them overtrained/quit/catch AIDS/whatever. I've come to expect it by now, and all I can do is throw out my personal experience, and tell people that they should do as much as they feel that they can do.
  • jehavin
    Options
    I don't think that was what the OP was asking and I definitely don't think she was asking for a resume/stat sheet. Otherwise, I would have whipped out my PR's and training schedule so she could see how a "real woman" trains. lolololol.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Currently 3 days of every 4 (I do a Legs/Push/Pull/Rest/Repeat). Every 4 weeks I take a week where I cut my volume in half just work with lighter weight (deloading). Workouts range anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.

On an additional note, I've done 6-day a week splits and have made significant progress using it. The trick is to not go till failure on your sets and cut back on the volume a little bit.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    If you notice, my first post was a very general idea of what I do. It wasn't until someone decided to tell us that we train too much that I started being an *kitten*. :)