Sooo frustrated & upset

Options
Hello. I'm so frustrated right now because I have worked hard and lost 25-30 lbs and am still unhappy with my body. My goal was 115 but when I got there I was still left with love handles and saddlebags so I said ok I'll try 5 more and see what happens. I'm now 110 and they're still there. I'm probably pushing underweight now at my height of 5'5" so I don't think it would be healthy for me to keep losing. I'm so upset that I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon today to talk about lipo. He said I would be a good candidate and I have less fat than most of his patients and it would just be a matter of fine tuning but I would get good results.

I know alot of the responses I'm going to get are that its normal to have some excess fat and to accept it but I don't think i will be satisfied until the love handles and saddlebags go away. My only options now are to get the lipo (which I can afford) or to drop another ten lbs and pray it FINALLY comes from those areas. I'd rather lose weight than get surgery but if they aren't going away at this weight I dont think they will go away in another 5-10 lbs.

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm going to apologize before hand if this gets preachy and pretentious, cus it might.

I'm going to say that from your post, it doesn't quite seem that your intentions to lose weight weren't for health so much as for aesthetics, presumably to fit into the societal concept of what is considered 'beautiful'. While not uncommon this isn't exactly healthy either because no, not everyone's body type is the same and you're probably not going to be fitting into the photoshopped mold that western society is pushing on our men and women.

You've lost thirty pounds! That is a HUGE accomplishment and you should be happy and proud of yourself, not beating yourself up for perceived flaws.

If you're not happy with what you see in the mirror, maybe there's a deeper reason for it and you should look inside yourself and turn your journey for health inside out.
    However at the same time if you do decide to get surgery, PLEASE inform yourself about the risks and damage it could do to your body and go under the knife informed of what will be happening to you.

In the end it's your choice and I wish you luck, but that's my two cents. Stay healthy and be safe.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    strebgth training, weights.

it will change your body composition. i am no expert but look at some of the posts and results others have seen.

you need muscle hunny :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You are underweight for your height. I dont think a plastic surgeon is going to give you impartial advice - what does your doctor say? Or your family? Or a trusted friend?
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    lift
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    strength training, weights.

it will change your body composition. i am no expert but look at some of the posts and results others have seen.

Skinny minny is right. When you are basically in the normal range of body fat percentage and weight, the rest is simply body recomposition. I f you look around, not just on this website, the people who have the most lean mass and least fat (which is, I assume, what you want) you have to really concentrate on strength training over cardio. The strength training gives your body a nicer shape.

To lower body fat percentage and keep lean mass, you'll have to play around with your macros. By far the crux of it is: EAT PROTEIN. It is critical to have sufficient protein intake so that you can keep your muscle as you lose that last bit of fat.

A known expert on getting really lean is Martin Berkhan from www.leangains.com. He also promotes intermittent fasting --- with a LOT of strength training. You'll see in the responses to come that no one will give you a different answer besides:

lift heavy - do strength training - make sure you are getting enough protein.

I'm not a nutritionist, but I have been on this site long enough and read around to know that is the unanimous message when people are normal weight and want to get more lean mass/lose fat/ get more cut.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

This. Lift heavy. You probably don't need to lose weight. You just need to lose fat. Change your body composition and I think you'll be just fine without surgery. :heart:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will do wonders. You might want to re-evaluate your body image as well. Why do you thing you do not look good the way you are. Do you strive to much to look like the false images in the media?

I also would not trust any plastic surgeon's opinion. They only care about the money they will make off you. Choosing to do something like lipo, especially at your weight, seem like a total vanity play. The truth might hurt, but that is all I see here. Time to re-evaluate the root cause as to why you are not happy with how you look. There are many people on here that would kill to be where you are right now.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

This. Lift heavy. You probably don't need to lose weight. You just need to lose fat. Change your body composition and I think you'll be just fine without surgery. :heart:

This! strength training and lifting is the best way to lose fat in those trouble areas. You don't need to lose more weight, but simply to turn your fat into well toned and strong muscle instead.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Check out this article from Nerd Fitness: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You need to work on body composition rather than weight, lifting heavy is the way forward!
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Besides the strength training suggested, try to change your cardio activities, up the intensity at intervals, that helps to burn more fat. I'm around your weight, slightly shorter, and I've noticed that my fats and sagging body are tightening up, even the most difficult part - belly is getting smaller......

I'm never an advocate of plastic surgery...so, my opinion is it might help temporarily but not permanently.
  • ALighterMe2013
    Options
    Despite how you feel I still need to say how proud I am of you. Congrats on losing the weight. I've been doing all the above and I can't lose two pounds, lucky you. Now that you reached your goal try to focus of toning up (strength training) you have a few months before the weather starts to warm up. Imagine how great your going to look in your new summer wear:)

Best wishes
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    strength training, weights.

^ This.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :smile: hey, that is what i plan on doing once i lose all the weight i want. surgery is just around the corner. if you cannot get the look you want after losing weight then i say it is time for surgery. i am in full agreement with you. just make sure the doctor knows what he is doing. i would get references on him before going under the knife. i am going to send a friend request so we can keep up with each other.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Check out this article from Nerd Fitness: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You need to work on body composition rather than weight, lifting heavy is the way forward!

YES! totally this!

at 110 and 5ft 5, you are 'skinny fat'. i am 5ft5 and 126 and just trying to lose a little bodyfat and 'tone up'. stop any thoughts of losing more wieght, you'll just make it worse!
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options

^^^ yes yes yes
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just to echo what is said above -

Unless you are getting it on the Health Service (and you wouldn't qualify unless it was a result of trauma, I think), the plastic surgeon is trying to flog you plastic surgery - he is acting in the interests of his wallet, not your health. When he says you are a 'good candidate', what it means is that the surgery is likely to be successful (in the short term, ie you will notice a difference before your body starts to store fat in this way again), not that you actually *need* to have surgery.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Any plastic surgeon will try and tell you you are a perfect candidate for surgery - it's how they make their money.

As already said, you need to lift weight. Heavy weights.

Read this thread, and take particular note of the before and after pictures.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752778-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I have lost over 25 lbs and STILL have cellulite on hips!! While I look just fine in clothes, I still cannot wear a bathing suit that is not a skirt as I have flabby, saggy legs. I do cardio, weights and eat protein but... I look at my mom and she is just the same. I see much heavier people in bathing suits, nice and smooth legs - no jiggle and bumps. I also thought that if I exercised, lost weight etc I could finally wear shorts and swimwear but...no. Now I need to be happy with myself and jiggly skin. Wish I could afford a medical change for this.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Hell no don't accept it. Get the lipo, tummytuck, whatever if you're one of those lucky few who can afford to. Being miserable in your own skin sucks. I say go for it. If it feels frivolous to you to spend that much money, donate an equal amount at some point to a charity. But don't develop an eating disorder because you hate how you look.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

THIS!! Get a PT instead of a plastic surgeon, and lift heavy for 4-6 months before you go through with lipo. I can almost guarantee that you will not want/need it anymore.