How do I lift heavy!??! Help please!!

13»

Replies

• I'm loving this :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    There are some of us who have great visible and tangible results with bodyweight and 15 lb dumbbells. Just because YOU don't know how to deleverage exercises such that the resistance remains high as you progress doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

Granted this isn't the sort of bodyweight exercise people that give advice are usually referring to, but a lot of standard plate lifters do not acknowledge that it is even possible, when it very much is possible.

And there are apparently some of us who don't know what the term "lift heavy" means. *round of applause for YOU*

Like I said, leverages. I can keep myself in the 1-5 rep range without issue with just my BW and DB's, and do a lot of 1RM work, and know that I'm physically incapable of running out of low rep resistance (with my frame my musles will get too big to ever get to a super high strength:wt ratio, that is why all world class gymnasts have tiny frames; I will never be able to do the exercises that require a super high strength:wt ratio).

An exercise alwyas exists such that bodyweight and a small amount of resistance will remain heavy on to practical infinity.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    You're dieting to get your body weight down to a BMI of 18 and trying to tell us that's your body's natural weight? I don't think so.

Be prepared to gain weight on the scales if you start a proper strength routine. This might upset you.

You also might find the extra muscle on your apparently small 5'6" frame means you don't feel you need an underweight body fat % to think you look "normal".
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    My 2 cents worth is, for females toning, I'd say max weight that you can still do 15 to 20 reps.

If you can do more than 20 reps, it's too light.

If you can't do at least 12 to 15, then it's too heavy.
    It depends on your goals. For strength, 1-7 reps is usually ideal. For mass, 8-12 reps is usually ideal. For muscle endurance, more than 12 reps is usually ideal. I've experienced the best results by having some days where I focus on high weight/low rep (1-7 rep range) and having some days where I focus more on the 8-12 range (I do more of these days).

In general, 1-7 rep range builds more myofibrillar hypertrophy (strength, training your muscles to lift the weight) and 8-12 builds more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (mass). If you can do more than 15 reps at a weight, it's probably not heavy enough to build mass.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    My 2 cents worth is, for females toning, I'd say max weight that you can still do 15 to 20 reps.

If you can do more than 20 reps, it's too light.

If you can't do at least 12 to 15, then it's too heavy.
    It depends on your goals. For strength, 1-7 reps is usually ideal. For mass, 8-12 reps is usually ideal. For muscle endurance, more than 12 reps is usually ideal. I've experienced the best results by having some days where I focus on high weight/low rep (1-7 rep range) and having some days where I focus more on the 8-12 range (I do more of these days).

In general, 1-7 rep range builds more myofibrillar hypertrophy (strength, training your muscles to lift the weight) and 8-12 builds more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (mass). If you can do more than 15 reps at a weight, it's probably not heavy enough to build mass.

All rep ranges build mass in the presence of a calorie surplus, on up to the aerobic threshold.

This is very much a *****en-egg thing. Research into mass building is based on observing how people build mass, relying on the wisdom of crowds. 8-12 reps or whatever for hypertrophy is the range that works because it is the suggested range (a little above and beyond that it works because it is the sweet spot for huge tonnage (mass*volume), that rep range works because you can handle a high set volume in a single session, much lower or higher and your single session tonnage will suffer).

Eat a calorie suplus and work hard, work in many rep areas. Don't worry, your muscles will get bigger just fine. The worst thing you could do is to limit yourself to a specific rep range.

Edit - Why on earth are our feathered friends that provide eggs considered a naughty word?