vegan diet?

124»

Replies

• stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    @Mactaffy84 - I'm sorry, but why do we even have to have labels like vegan? If someone chooses to go meat free 364 days of the year and slipped up and ate meat one time, is that really an issue? Would I not be considered "fully vegan" because the uniform I am forced to wear at work is made of wool?? Even though I made attempts to eliminate meat/dairy products in other areas of my life? You can call me a hypocrite all you want - I understand that everyone is on their own path in life and I don't expect to win every argument on the internet. It was my opinion yes, but it is unfortunate that your first thought was to personally attack my post, when I was just speaking in general. You can be an internet bully all you want, I am just here for the people who actually agree with what I have to say (and I know they're out there, even if they aren't speaking up)
    :)

i think you may have misunderstood the point i and some other posters were trying to make. WE are not having an 'i'm more vegan than you' argument, just stating what the actual differences are between types of vegetarianism and vegan. i think it's great if anyone cuts some meat out of their diet. i would not consider you 'unvegan' if you were forced to wear a wool uniform at work. it's hard to convey emotion and tone in text writing, but i didn't feel that anyone was attacking anyone else. the definition of vegan is 'a person who refrains from using any animal product whatever for food, clothing, or any other purpose'. so it's much more than one's daily diet. vegetarianism relates only to diet.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    My experience:
    I have been vegetarian for quite a few years, and have had little to no trouble with that transition. Frankly, it was barely a transition, since as a child I had to be made to eat meat. I always preferred the vegetables, and was a bit grossed out by the meat.

I ate no animal products for a while, around a year maybe, but found that I craved meat really badly. This was not a problem that I ever had while eating eggs and dairy, so I have gone back to that (mostly dairy, primarily because I don't really like eggs anyway). It doesn't make me happy, but I have no desire to ever go back to eating meat, so I guess I did it for my sanity.

For clarification, I am not advocating being or not being a vegan. Those are just my experiences. Be sure you're making the best decision for you. :)

Oh, and I second SlimFrederic - I like Rich Roll too.
  • ckeatonrn
    ckeatonrn Posts: 17
    Thank you all for your opinions and experiences. I know I'm a little late on this thread but it has been an education just reading everyone's comments. Here's my thoughts after reading the whole thread:

1. Veganism IS a lifestyle, not just a diet.
    2. Being a vegetarian is kinda like being vegan, only different. Vegetarians avoid animal food products but not all animal products. Vegans may seem extreme but have their ethical reasons with which I cannot find fault.
    3. While labels may categorize people, they can be helpful to discern differences in people's ideals. I know my idea of vegan vs vegetarian has changed.
    4. I have mistakenly said I'm "on a vegan diet" when I should have said that I'm "vegetarian." While I do not eat meat, eggs or dairy I do use products of animal origin. I think "plant-based diet" may an appropriate term to use for the diet of a vegetarian or a vegan.
    5. Plant-based diets can be the most healthy way to eat, but there are many overweight, unhealthy plant-based eaters. You need to research, research, research. We are responsible for our own health so let's take a serious approach to a serious subject.
    6. Regardless of other's choices, we need to respect each other for our desire to improve our health in the way we feel meets our needs and bodies best. I think this thread has shown this is not only possible but practiced.

Thank you all again for such a thought-provoking discussion!
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    In my opinion, do not go 'vegan' if you are doing it to lose weight. The person above me is right, there are plenty overweight, unhealthy people who don't consume any animal products by way of a vegan lifestyle. In my experience with interacting with others who tried veganism, they were absolutely glowing for the first few months, lost weight, had boasts of energy, great blood test results, it was like they were all new people. Then after 2-3 years their health started deteriorating. They started losing hair, gaining abdominal fat, and some even developed amenorrhea. None of them knew what they were doing wrong, they were eating enough calories, taking vitamins, drinking enough water, following all the "rules". You have to do an incredible amount of research and find what works for you.

I understand if you are interested in doing this for moral or ethical reasons, but I personally don't see any health risks from eating meat. I am not looking to get into a debacle with someone over this, but unless you are eating grain-fed angus steak for breakfast, lunch and dinner I see nothing wrong with red meat once a week or even once a month- if you don't feel comfortable.

I've read all the books, done a lot of research. I tried incorporating more vegan meals into my diet and even went 'meat-free' for a few weeks after watching 'Earthlings'. It just wasn't sustainable to me because I love meat and exercise frequently, I know there are sources of protein on a vegan diet but for me I just couldn't get through a day without feeling like I was going to pass out any second. I think there are more 'foods' out there that should be avoided like gluten and yes, dairy. There is nothing nutritionally beneficial to drinking cow's milk. I see both sides of the coin and found out what works for me.