tips on curbing night eating welcome

Options
I am quite sure that I would take off the weight if I could stop eating after dinner. I varies night to night but I often find myself "looking" for something at night. Has anyone found a technique that stops this and leaves you satisfied?

Replies

• kerriberry74
    kerriberry74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I may be a bit of an oddball, but sometimes having a cup of hot tea helps me out at night. At the very least, it doesn't hurt to give it a try.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth right after dinner.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue.....and when I have to get up at night, I snack as well. Hurts my weight and my blood sugar. Will be watching the replies for ideas!
  • nicolejabbour2
    Options
    We are in the EXACT same boat.. It's awful, like an impulse almost.. I just remind myself, it takes about 3-4 weeks to create a habit (or get rid of one)..
    Herbal tea before bed really helps, it has been proven. I usually have the STASH brand Bedtime tea.. it takes about 10-15 minutes for the urge to stop.
    Then I literally do my 'getting ready for bed' stuff, and go to bed. Or just go upstairs so your away from the food, and too lazy to walk all the way down to get something.
    Trick yourself.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I used to have that same problem. I found keeping myself busy helps take my mind off of the food. For example if i am just watching tv I will do step exercises on my WII fitness board and I will use my foot pedal (basically like a stationary bike without the seat). Good luck!!
  • misssmarita
    Options
    a) Eat enough during the day. Small meals, every 3 - 5 hours
    b) Eat a dinner with plenty of protein. This will help keep you full
    c) Drink plenty of water (or tea)
    d) Keep your dinner time as close to your bedtime as possible. Not too close, but not more than four or five hours

GOOD LUCK!
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I eat a few almonds it helps. Tea helps me also. I like the idea of brushing my teeth, I'm going to try that as well. Sometimes I just think to myself...if I eat at 6:00 pm, that's just 4 hours until bedtime, surely I can not eat anything else.
  • misssmarita
    Options
    I used to have that same problem. I found keeping myself busy helps take my mind off of the food. For example if i am just watching tv I will do step exercises on my WII fitness board and I will use my foot pedal (basically like a stationary bike without the seat). Good luck!!

Also a very good idea. Do things that you can't do while you're eating (like exercising!).
  • PJClay57
    Options
    When I want to snack at night I pick a drawer or cabinet to clean instead! That way I get something done and then I forget about the food!
  • holdingon2faith793
    Options
    BUmP!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    LOL...depending on the time, I go to bed :laugh: Its hard sometimes because hubby will be sitting next to me on the couch eating chocolates, or crisps...or sometimes, cheese on toast. Most of the time, I'm not hungry...but bored. So either, bed...or maybe a hot bath with a good book just to take my mind off of it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Eat less during the day, or at dinner, so that you have available Calories for a post-dinner snack.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like to snack at night too. What I have found helpful is to snack on something low in calories that takes a while to eat. Like my favorite thing to snack on at night is pickle spears. They come it at 5 calories each. I will eat about 3 or 4. It takes a while to eat all those pickles if you really take your time and you've only eaten 20 calories and fulfilled your desire to snack on something. :)
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just go to bed. I don't care if it's 6:30. I watch TV and tell myself that the day's over. I keep a water bottle by my bed and sometimes refill it. Sometimes I read or crochet. (I don't have young ones to take care of - obviously)
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I usually have some tea.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Critical process:
    * get a big black garbage bag
    * go to your pantry
    * throw any/all junk food inthe garbage bag
    * either drive to the local food pantry and make a donation or swing by a local dumpster and get rid of it!

Still hungry at night? Options:
    * read a book
    * call (not text) a friend or family member
    * drink green tea
    * eat some green peppers strips
    * have a little popcorn

anytime i eat at night, i put what i am going to eat in a bowl or on a plate. Eating out of the bag/box is a DISASTER waiting to happen.

Good luck!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Click on the button to tell the MFP food diary you're done eating for the day right after dinner.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I work late at night so I know I am going to get hungry. So I keep enough calories available for a post dinner treat. Mostly Greek yogurt, Almonds etc....
  • tigerlion2013
    tigerlion2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me, it also depends on what time I go to bed. I eat dinner around 7 and go to bed between 11-12. I've found that I start to want to munch on something after 11. Play around with your meal and bed time if possible.

I always look at the nutritional label. When I want to eat late at night, the nutritional label reminds me of how hard I had worked out during the day to burn the calories.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep.