tips on curbing night eating welcome

Options

Replies

• Faulkners407
    Faulkners407 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    *Clean/organize your closet and drawers in your bedroom, or any other part of the house that is far away from the kitchen
    *Paint your nails, again far away from kitchen
    *if possible shut kitchen door and shut light out
    *phone/text a friend-for support-say HELP me. usually this helps me.
    *ask yourself, are you HUNGRY, or Bored?
    *make a rule. You must do 10 Push ups before eating anything after dinner, (or crunches etc).
    *DRINK WATER, WAIT, DRINK WATER. Tell your fat self, that she/he can stay in the closet for the night, because the skinny you just kicked it's *kitten*! :D
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think some of it has to come down to will power and retraining your brain. When I feel like snacking I remind myself that I just ate dinner 2 or 3 hours ago and I can't possible be hungry and that I just want to much on something that tastes good. Just acknowledging my thoughts and recognizing that I am not actually hungry seems to help.

In order for this to work though I think you have to eat a decent dinner and one that has enough protein and fat in it to leave you satisfied for a few hours until you go to sleep.
  • kimidorineko
    Options
    bumping to keep track of the ideas posted here. this is a problem of mine as well.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, read in the bathtub for a while, then go to bed
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am quite sure that I would take off the weight if I could stop eating after dinner. I varies night to night but I often find myself "looking" for something at night. Has anyone found a technique that stops this and leaves you satisfied?

Just plan ahead to let it fit into your calories and go with it.
  • Faulkners407
    Faulkners407 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Keep sliced veggies in a zip lock bag, that you can take with you out of the kitchen-celery/carrots/mushrooms-snack on those-not as satisfying-but if its boredom eating-it can keep damage from happening-will not help curb your habit though.

I drive for hours a day-and get super super sleepy. I am currently trying to re-train myself to drink water, instead of eating everything in my lunch box before 11 am!

Good Luck! It's a constant battle-
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have enough calories for a snack after dinner. I can't imagine going to bed just because I was avoiding food, that sounds terrible. The whole "don't eat after 7 pm" myth will get you nowhere except in a war with the clock. Eat whenever you feel like it, stick within your calories and macros, and you'll be fine.
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Eat less during the day, or at dinner, so that you have available Calories for a post-dinner snack.

This is what I do too! But sometimes I save too many calories and eat too much! Oops :ohwell:
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I told my hubby not to let me eat after 7 pm. The look he gives me when I grab for a cookie after 7 is enough to make anyone rethink!
  • fatnomore201220132014
    Options
    Green tea! I can get through upwards of 5 cups of green tea, unsweetened, from the time I finish dinner until its time to go to sleep. Or just keep chugging water.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but you just have to stop. After dinner I allow myself a little treat or whatever (sometimes I will have a weight watchers popsicle or a tbsp of almond butter, etc.) but know that after that, I'm all done for the day. Think about the fact that you're being so strong and motivated by resisting your usual night eating and you will be so much better off in the long run. After a couple weeks, it won't be nearly as hard. Break old habits and make new ones!
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The time of day that you consume your calories doesn't make a difference in regards to weight loss-total calories consumed is what you need to pay attention to. Also, if you're hungry at night, make sure you are eating enough calories (make sure to calculate your BMR and TDEE to ensure that you are eating enough), and make sure you have plenty of fiber and protein in your diet to help keep you full. I workout in the evenings so a lot of time my last meal of the day (I eat 6 smaller meals) is around 10:00PM. It is usually a PlantFusion protein shake made with light soymilk and an apple and if I have any extra calories left, maybe a low fat string cheese-I have to get the reduced fat versions because full fat anything causes severe stomach cramping (thanks crohns).
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I try to remember the eating habits I had when I was a kid/teenager and wasn't over weight at all. One of them was I never ate after supper. It wasn't until I became an adult that I started drinking and snaking after dinner. So I am trying to eat more like when I was a teenager and thin.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Eat less during the day, or at dinner, so that you have available Calories for a post-dinner snack.
    ^ This is what I'd recommend.

Total intake for the day matters. Whether you eat those calories in the day or right before bed doesn't really make a significant difference in weight loss. It does matter for preference/satiety/behavior/performance etc, so you should certainly pay attention to those factors but it sounds to me like you (OP) like to eat at night.

Consequently I'd suggest you eat at night. You'll need to eat less during the day to accommodate the calories.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am quite sure that I would take off the weight if I could stop eating after dinner. I varies night to night but I often find myself "looking" for something at night. Has anyone found a technique that stops this and leaves you satisfied?

Just plan ahead to let it fit into your calories and go with it.

Yep. I quit fighting it and now just plan around it. I eat less during the day (when I'm not particularly hungry) so I can chow at night when I am hungry. It's infinitely easier for me to adjust to what seems to be my natural eating patterns than continually fighting it and being hungry and miserable. As long as I'm within my calorie goals for the day-I'm good (including the 200-400 calories I eat in bed before I go to sleep).
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this BIG TIME. Now I plan a decadent healthy snack ahead of time. That way my calories work out and I can look forward to a treat. I have a slice of low carb high protein whole grain bread with chocolate PB2 and some fresh fruit on top with a glass of wine. I fix the snack on a plate so it looks very nice and take it to bed with me. That way I am out of the kitchen and enjoying a wonderful planned snack. It's been working.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    As other's have said I used to fight and grit my teeth to not late at night now I save 300-400 and eat something almost always before I go to bed.

Lately i've been loving Skippy Natural PBw/ honey on toast or just out of the jar.

As many others have said as long as your total intake for the day is adjusted you'll be fine. I will note that I did notice a temporary increase in weight after i did this. I was patient and I'm guessing the fact I was eating later threw something off but it quickly went back to normal.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    ^ This is what I'd recommend.

Total intake for the day matters. Whether you eat those calories in the day or right before bed doesn't really make a significant difference in weight loss. It does matter for preference/satiety/behavior/performance etc, so you should certainly pay attention to those factors but it sounds to me like you (OP) like to eat at night.

Consequently I'd suggest you eat at night. You'll need to eat less during the day to accommodate the calories.
    This! Appreciate you chiming in.. :wink:

It helps to have others reinforce this, in the past I've fallen prey to the "don't eat after __ (blank) time" or you'll gain, your body won't digest the food, etc. etc.

I don't believe that at this point but only after hearing educated discussion on it did it make sense to me that it's the total calories eaten in the entire day that matter not whether or not you eat them in the evening.
    Here's Dr. Oz's take:

Not everyone agrees with him....
    I used to love watching the "old" Dr. Oz every week or so on Oprah where He'd really share some great info. Sadly keeping a show on the air leads to putting out all sorts of info to keep the ratings up it does draw viewers but waters down good info that was shared in the past when ratings didn't matter to him. I personally like the guy but am wary of much of what he says now since some may not be actuate in the least... so now I find my info elsewhere. :ohwell: Now I just enjoy his humor/family side when he's on "The Chew" with his daughter.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My husband and I usually eat dinner late, 9 or 9:30 sometimes. I like eating late so that works or me. I just eat a little less in the day, and it also gives me time to create more calories through physical activity.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Why not just save some calories so you can snack after dinner? I do. I will save myself usually my exercise calories for a snack between dinner and bed. No harm in that.