What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Chorizo sausage.

I haven't eaten it since November when the last of my sausage casserole was removed from the freezer!

Using a lot of smoked paprika in other foods though.j

And this is why I love this site...smoked paprika? Never even imagined such a thing existed and it sounds fantastic!!

You want Hungarian paprika, not Spanish. Spanish is milder and tastes more like seasoning salt.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love pasta but seeing the amount of calories in it I very rarely have it :-(
  • maarowak
    Options
    I actually always guessed the amount of calories way higher than it was, so nothing really haha

example: I thought that a Big Tasty was like, 1500kcal (only the burger)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I just calculated a grilled cheese sandwich. 490 calories and sodium of over 900 mgs. I'm still having it.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of foods on mfp that the calories are out of line. I think a problem is that some of the values are entered incorrectly. Use MFP for a guideline but definitely look around online for other sources before just accepting what you see pop up when you search mfp.
    As for surprised by...

Tim hortons double double coffee, from their web site, 210 calories
    Cookies from subway, from their site, 2-220 per cookie.. no wonder they taste good lol
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I love pasta but seeing the amount of calories in it I very rarely have it :-(

pasta isnt horrible depending on portion size and sauce with it. you can easily have a healthy decent sized meal with reasonable calories no problem.
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

Where did you read that? There are only 50 calories per cup..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/strawberries-raw-9316

You can also verify that on several other websites. Strawberries are low in cals, and good for you too.
  • aily_paily
    aily_paily Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I picked up a bag of onion ring crisps -I would have eaten them often before mfp- 45g bag =966 calories - no joke!
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Definitely avocados
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I feel like avocados are worth the cals. They are so darn good! And good for you. :)
  • Chameleongal
    Options
    Ramen noodles, eat the whole block, 390 calories.

Yup! And to think I considered this a "snack" between meals!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    granola
  • dacra
    dacra Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sushi. and not fried either! I was just curious the other day about how many calories were in one Crunchy Shrimp roll, come to find out it was almost 1/2 of my daily intake of cal's I freaked out! How can 1 small roll of Sushi have 500+ Calories??! So upsetting I could eat sushi everyday..

Me, too! I could probably live off sushi and it still shocks me when I enter in my rolls and they are so much!!! Who eats one roll in the first place? haha
  • Sballard418
    Sballard418 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ranch Dressing....holy crap I might as well just eat the lettuce plain who just eats two table spoons. When I realize how much I used to use like half a bottle I was probably up around 600 calories...and I thought salads were healthy :embarassed:
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Restaurant Foods! :mad: :angry: :explode: MFP let's you check foods prior to going out to eat, that's Cool! :happy:
  • millipedey
    Options
    granola

oh yes! i love granola and i knew it was high in sugar, but i didn't realise quite how much!!
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This might seem silly to some, but I was surprised at pop tarts. 400 calories for both pastries that come in each wrapper.

I ate those all the time as a kid and my wife keeps them in the house because she snacks on them like crazy. I used to have them once in a while too, but man, they are NOT filling enough to be worth 400 calories.

I can't believe it took 11 pages to get to pop tarts.
  • millipedey
    Options
    also, flapjacks. i used to have a big yogurt coated one for a snack... 550 calories :O i only go for tiny ones now!
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Walnuts shocked me.
    PB2 is pretty good as a replacement for peanut butter but you need to add a pinch of salt when mixing to make it taste more like regular peanut butter.
  • raecork
    raecork Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Big eye opener when you enter in a fast food meal. whopper combo ( my favorite burger) 1700 calories when you add in the drink and fries. I wish I would have entered it before I ate it, I would have eaten a salad or just said no. really a full days calories on one meal. Even if it is my favorite, it is so not worth that.