What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• slingshotsparro
    slingshotsparro Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wasabi Peas. 1 cup = 300 calories.

Seriously!

I thought it would be a light snack, not a meal... Certainly wasn't filling.
  • bluemoon551
    bluemoon551 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Pineapple orange juice. It has more sugar than Coke. I thought it settled my stomach when I was nauseous, but it was probably the reason I felt so sick all the time.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    olive oil still shocks me, I don't care if it's healthy fat, it's a lot of wasted calories.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and cheese, the powder kind. 200 calories for half a cup I think, and that's assuming you don't put extra butter or milk, which I always did.
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    Definitely some of the smoothies at Jamba Juice. One of my favorites is peanut butter moo'd and I was shocked to find out a small size was 480 calories and 83 carbs!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Dates rolled in coconut. More nutritious than candy but caloric.
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Raisins. 120cal for 1/4 cup :(
    Agreed. I thought, oh, they're just tiny dried fruits, they must be super healthy. Well now I know.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Seeds!! Pumpkin, sun, sesame. I loove this on salads. Thought I was doing myself a favor by replacing for nuts!! Well they arent so far off from nuts!!

Healthy grains. Couscous, quiona etc. are "healthier" but from calories not a real difference from rice, pasta
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Not calories but the trace amounts of trans fat that cheese contains.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    chocolate one dove promise square 1 is 42 calories! Who eats one? Dried fruit apricots 6 apricots 120 calories! adds up quickly!
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    definatly celery. i had heard that it was low calorie but man.. you could eat that stuff all day - negative calories ftw! :)
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Icecream & pizza
  • spritlie
    Options
    Nutella! I love those little snack packs as a quick pick me up during the day at work - but i think that's going to end :-(
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(
    ^ this.

and so I only allow myself 2 tsp of it on toast for 1st bkfst sometimes. =-(. been craving it lots with coldstone chocolate ice cream though, gotta figure out something to replace that.

This is what I thought 2 teaspoons of peanut butter looked like, but NO that's two Tablespoons. Way hay hay more cals.
    410x290_peanut_butter_whole_wheat_0.jpg

THis is what 2 teaspoons looks like, and it actually tastes good. You notice the taste in every bite even though it's only a thin film, it's enough to flavor the bread and be satisfying...hint, it spreads better when melty from the hot toast.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTk2eZIEK_DDT2SLiwDGsVWBJoU05PRbp6JPA5MbHb80wg6GlpAbw even thinner though like barely there.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Little teeny tiny chocolates.........

I try to remember that its not just calories I need to be concerned with, its the nutrients involved. Therefore, I eat peanut butter, but not Nutella. I eat raisins (in really small amounts) but I generally avoid chocolates - even teeny tiny ones....
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    cheese and bread
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One little roll from Logan's Roadhouse... 220 calories D:. Those things are like 1/4 cup in size.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My favorite coffee creamers. I used to put a good 5 tablespoons worth in my coffee...until I realized that it's 35 calories per tablespoon.

And those little bitty Coffeemate containers of the liquid vanilla fabulousness? 30 calories EACH! YIKES!

I actually measure out a tbsp of creamer every time. I usually have 2-3 a day. My husband on the other hand, pours it in his coffee. One Friday morning, I bought him a bottle of creamer and he used it all by Sunday evening. And no, he's not fat. :grumble:

The food that shocked me was the chocolate chip pecan pie I make. I figured it was bad, but I would have guessed 300-350 cals a slice. Turns out its 605 a slice. Yeesh.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I'm surprised by the things people think are high. 55 cals for an apple? What's high about that? Seems very reasonable for a snack. Same with chicken breast etc. I guess it's people on very low cal diets where 100cals seems like a lot but for most people it really isn't.

I was surprised to find 2 bacon rasher medallions plus an egg was less calories for breakfast than my standard amount of corn flakes with semi skimmed milk, and it keeps me much fuller.

A lot of bread products shock me a bit but it's just not overdoing it e.g. 1 wrap instead of 2. A lot of the lower cal options aren't available here.

Olive oil and paprika were 2 more that surprised me.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I've been surprised too, but I think that comes from years of watching what I'm eating, on and off. I expect foods that are high in fat (including healthy ones like nuts, avocado, cheese, etc.) are going to be high in calories. I expect denser foods to be higher in calories, and more watery foods to be lower. Of course peanut butter is going to be high, because it's oily! But I can understand that if I hadn't calorie counted before I might be surprised because it's promoted as a healthy food.

Fruit isn't high in calories relative to some things. But again, it's something that's promoted as healthy, and something we're encouraged to eat more of. In fact, some diets allow free consumption of fruit. So yes, I can understand why people are surprised when they find that the calories are significant enough that they are going to have to give up something else that they would normally eat to have that fruit. In fact, I think one of things that caused me to gain weight was that I didn't "count" fruit. But five portions of fruit a day is going to be about 250 - 400 calories - plenty to put on weight if you're eating that in addition to what you would normally eat.