What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Nothing surprises me anymore, but at first:

-Bagels (290)
    -Cheese (90 cals for 1 small oz of feta)
    - Hummus (Love this stuff, but it adds up when you eat a desirable amount)
    -Boba (It is pure half and half with sugar..must be 1200+++ for a large cup).
    - Fried foods (I avoid all deep fried foods since December. I believe these are very inaccurately estimated because every food absorbs oil differently and it adds hundreds if not thousands of calories to a dish.)
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Definitely anything eating out. I'll go over a day's calories in one meal at your average restaurant.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at peanut butter (like a lot of other people here). But what I am doing now is mixing it with Walden Farm's Zero Calorie Peanut Spread. Which is NOT made out of peanuts, it's made out of vegetables. I don't understand how it can have zero calories....but anyway, it doesn't really taste like peanut butter, but is sort of similar and actually tastes pretty good mixed with peanut butter. So I make a sandwich out of peanut butter, Zero Calorie spread, and fruit and put it on 35-calorie-per-slice Healthy Life Bread and it's not bad!
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Stupid little pieces of candy like those peppermints you get for free at restaurants and dry cleaners. 20 cals? NOTWORTHIT.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Zesty Onion Ring sauce from Burger King! Love that stuff, would use 3 or 4 of the little cups every time for my fries and I would slather it on my burger too. After I started MFP I looked it up and its 150 calories of fat! No more Zesty sauce for me :sad:

Exactly!!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I was actually surprised in a good way that a small creme brulee isn't the huge calorie bomb I thought it was. The onion rings and campfire sauce from Red Robin are a big shocker, though.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    granola... I was getting an organic, high fiber kind, thinking I was being all well behaved eating it for breakfast.
    1 cup of it with 1/2 cup milk was just over 700 calories.
    (obviously different types of granola aren't as high)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at peanut butter (like a lot of other people here). But what I am doing now is mixing it with Walden Farm's Zero Calorie Peanut Spread. Which is NOT made out of peanuts, it's made out of vegetables. I don't understand how it can have zero calories....but anyway, it doesn't really taste like peanut butter, but is sort of similar and actually tastes pretty good mixed with peanut butter. So I make a sandwich out of peanut butter, Zero Calorie spread, and fruit and put it on 35-calorie-per-slice Healthy Life Bread and it's not bad!

I tried that Walden Farms stuff and I found it so horrible I went to the trouble of writing an angry letter to the company. They never responded. Oh well.

Maybe mixed with enough other stuff it would be edible.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Cheese and nuts
  • sarahmcp3
    sarahmcp3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wraps or pita bread. I love them and thought I was being healthy replacing bread with them. A large 12' wrap ( like they use to make wrap sandwiches in restaurants) is 350 calories! And that's before you add anything else to it. Say you're making a burrito, cheese, rice, beans, well there goes all the days calories.

I found these Josephs pita shells which are reduced carbs and are made with flax. They are smaller but at 60 cals a pop I can make mexican again without feeling super guilty.
  • awdrgy
    Options
    Check again on the strawberries. They are about 50 calories per cup.
  • shoewhore
    shoewhore Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fruit Juice is always a shocker. Especially if your watching your sugar levels as well.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    A slice of pizza at Costco. Holy crap, that's a lot of calories!
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Polska Kielbasa! I make an AWESOME polska kielbasa meal that I thought would be do-able while eating healthier... but... it turns out one package is 1400 freaking calories!! I make a dish with rice that serves 4 people. Each serving is like 700-800 calories :/.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Cream.

Seriously, early last year I was so nutritionally uneducated (no idea what a calorie was :D) and after coeliac diagnosis replaced my usual milk and weet-box breakfast with a bowl of cream, macadamia nuts and honey. ^_^
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    SMALL chocolate hazelnut milkshake from Burgerville. It was 590 calories. I had no idea they could pack that many calories in one tiny little cup. Btw it was totally worth the extra workouts I had to do! I only get to gave it once a year so meh.
  • almondnuts
    Options
    Nuts. :/ I love nuts.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Not sure how many people in the UK are, but I walked into a Tesco and bought a chicken salad sandwich on brown bread. However, the calories stated 495. Odd, I thought. Considerably high for a chicken salad sandwich. I tried to find the right nutrition value on MFP but could only find one with 350 calories. WHY have they added 50% more calories?!
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    SMALL chocolate hazelnut milkshake from Burgerville. It was 590 calories. I had no idea they could pack that many calories in one tiny little cup. Btw it was totally worth the extra workouts I had to do! I only get to gave it once a year so meh.

Those are so amazingly delicious. I had one a few weeks ago and sadly it tasted pretty bland because the person who made it just didn't make it good, I suppose. I want to grab another one before they go out of season, :/
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    In dairy. I used to drink a liter full fat milk a day, so that are many calories. Now I don't drink or eat dairy anymore, because I have an intollerance.

Oh, and yesterday I bought a cookie, triple chocolate and all, freakingly delicious: 484 calories! But hey, worth it :D.