What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Blue-Diamond-Almonds.jpg

1 small can is only 1020 calories
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A bag of vending machine fried pork rinds 80 cals. REALLY omg omg omg yes!
    A bag of Famous Amos cookies from vending machine 280 cals.
    2 poptarts(how a serving is typically presented) 400 cals. That will always shock me.

Now that I have MPF I can make better informed decisions on the go.
  • SweetestHoney
    Options
    I don't really do milkshakes but when I see how many cals are in them; it's always ridiculous. I don't see how people have them often. It would be one of those once or twice a year items for me too.
  • SweetestHoney
    Options
    I keep posting because I keep thinking of things. Like french fries. When I order fast food the cals in french fries are usually more than my sandwich. Crazy.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Today I was shocked by how many calories pound cake has. Ok, I never thought it would be a light snack, but there's 388 calories in 100 grams. Do you how little pound cake you eat if you eat 100 grams?? Not enough to be satisfying, that's for sure.
  • c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    peanut butter I am shocked at I love that stuff!!! also loved greggs chargrilled chicken sandwich till I joined MFP & started looking at the nutritional values of the sandwich! also cereal bars are loaded with sugar!!!
  • Keebler Snack Pack crackers.

A package of 8 is only 260. I thought it'd be like 300-somethin' easy.

Oh, but I also thought a banana would be like...50 calories, but it's around 100.
    Sad day for my Peanut Butter-Banana Sammich.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Today I was shocked by how many calories pound cake has. Ok, I never thought it would be a light snack, but there's 388 calories in 100 grams. Do you how little pound cake you eat if you eat 100 grams?? Not enough to be satisfying, that's for sure.

You can't measure a pound cake in grams!
  • eas1950
    Options
    I had a triple chocolate muffin on my birthday 420 cals. I ate it before checking the box. Yikes.....
  • Lilloise
    Lilloise Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Weirdly flour! I used to think my homemade pizzas were really good cause they were, well, homemade! Then I logged it on mfp and found the base alone to be nearly 400 cals. Then add topping. I used to have two!!

same here for the homemade pizzas! grrr tip use small tortillas instead! works just as well and 1/8 of the cals! :bigsmile:

and bloody nuts of allsorts i love nuts :huh: yes yes in all ways! :wink:

I recommend a paleo pizza. You use cauliflower for the crust instead of dough. Works like a charm. Unless you do it wrong...then it's soggy.

Do you have a recipe for this? It sounds intriguing...and yummy
  • wntrbreez
    wntrbreez Posts: 32 Member
    Options
  • sharris215
    sharris215 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chorizo sausage.

I haven't eaten it since November when the last of my sausage casserole was removed from the freezer!

Using a lot of smoked paprika in other foods though.j

And this is why I love this site...smoked paprika? Never even imagined such a thing existed and it sounds fantastic!!

Smoked Paprika will change your life.

Are you for serious?! SMOKED paprika?! I need to sit down...

It really does make everything better. It's so great in the wintertime when grilling isn't really an option. You can find it in both hot and sweet varieties. YUM!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

A traditional pound cake has:

1 pound of butter
    1 pound of eggs (9)
    1 pound of sugar
    1 pound of flour

I am amazed it is only 388 calories.
  • Tiffany083
    Tiffany083 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to learn how many calories are in a Costco muffin. It's over 600 calories for any of them!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to learn how many calories are in a Costco muffin. It's over 600 calories for any of them!

The Costco muffins in NY are the size of Basketballs.
  • sharris215
    Options
    I think the only one that really surprised me was bananas. Fortunately, I don't really like them so no big loss there! And I wasn't surprised but I'm always a little bummed by the calories in avocados because I love them so much. I carve out the calories to keep them in my diet--totally worth it.

The thing that's always a learning experience for me is portion sizes. The calories in a single serving of something like pasta or quinoa or rice isn't so bad...but a single serving seems so puny in comparison to what you'd get at most restaurants. And I usually only eat half a restaurant portion. Yikes!
  • sharris215
    Options
    You know the other one that KILLED me when I started tracking it properly? Sweet potatoes. I love having grated sweet potatoes and onions pan fried for breakfast. but 1 cup of grated sweet potato is over 250 calories!! And 1 cup of grated sweet potatoes is not very filling. I wanted to cry. I usually have it cooked in coconut oil with a fried egg on top. So delicious, but it's like 500 cals. UGH.

It wouldn't be exactly the same (tough to compete with a sweet potato--they're so good!) but have you tried substituting spaghetti squash for the sweet potato? It's really low in calories, tasty, and makes a great faux-hash-brown when you saute it with a little onion.
  • flyrobinfly57
    Options
    Popcorn at the movie theater...Very sad about this!
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    those little white and red striped peppermints... 20 calories a piece O.O
  • lanamcmuffin
    lanamcmuffin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A Panera cinnamon streusel bagel. It is 400+ calories, but it is to die for!