What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Starbucks pumpkin bread. 390 calories per slice. That's a freaking meal in one little piece of bread.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Also pasta. Seems fine until you realize how many servings you actually eat
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Bacon. I thought it had more calories. Glad that i can still sneak it in to the meal plan periodically!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Pasta, man I used to eat my chili on top of my pasta,make all kinds of pasta with like 5 cheese in them, I look at it now and the amount of it I get to actually eat to fit into my calorie schedule is kinda alarming cuz I love the stuff.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Spices 5 or 6 calories per teaspoon. I love cooking with spices as opposed to salt.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I find potatoes to be a lot higher than I expected and I mean a naked potato. A small potato is like 150 calories and that is before you add anything to it.

Go to a restaurant and get a big loaded potato and you are probably looking at 750+ calories for the potato. Same for potato skins....your appetizer.

Even worse - Jason's Deli Plain Jane Potato (Natural buttery blend, cheddar, sour cream, bacon, green onions.) has 2320 calories. the lighter version has 1130 calories!!!!
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Straight up Tanqueray martini. I thought the clear alcohols were much lower in calories!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have a ratio one: "lean" brisket has more fat than protein?!?!?!
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Red's Gluten Free Hot Cereal
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Costco poutine. Hubby and I used to split a hotdog and poutine for dinner fairly often, as it was so cheap. But that thing (nevermind the loaded hotdog) is over 1200 calories!

I never expected french fries smothered in cheese and gravy to be healthy, but wow. No wonder I felt like such a slug afterwards.
  • obliviatenox
    obliviatenox Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    White Castle's chicken rings and fries (together about 1,130 cal). I don't go there much, but I went and was surprised by how much calories it is for that meal compared to a Culver's kids meal, chicken strips and fries (together about 495 cal). I definitely know which place to eat at instead if there is a next time.
  • jross1006
    Options
    Nutella.... And I would eat it by the spoonfull
  • Nessa0506
    Options
    Granola. High in calories AND sugar
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Banana bread!
  • las148
    las148 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some fruit has shocked me! I tried weight watchers unsuccessfully and they are 0 points there.

This is exactly why I didn't join WW and came here instead! Thank the Lord haha
  • las148
    las148 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Costco poutine. Hubby and I used to split a hotdog and poutine for dinner fairly often, as it was so cheap. But that thing (nevermind the loaded hotdog) is over 1200 calories!

I never expected french fries smothered in cheese and gravy to be healthy, but wow. No wonder I felt like such a slug afterwards.

Poutine is something I have to talk myself out of eating quite a bit. It's terribly tragic haha... especially if I go to Quebec! It must be a crime not to eat poutine there. Oh well! Costco was an eye-opener for me too! One of those hotdogs (not toppings) is 550 calories!!! The only part of Costco I used to look forward to was when we'd get lunch... Now I hate EVERY minute of the trip haha
  • sstephanrodriguez
    sstephanrodriguez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Everything at Chili's. I used to eat there ALL THE TIME. Nothing good, seriously.
  • stepkylebeau
    Options
    A lot of things. Yesterday, I was shocked that by the time I logged everything in that I used to make a sandwich came up so high! I would have been better off eating pizza. Bread, sandwich meat, and cheese are very bad ideas. Got to get back on this ball!
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Straight up Tanqueray martini. I thought the clear alcohols were much lower in calories!

All grain alcohols - bourbon, vodka, gin, tequila - that aren't flavored are about 70 cals per ounce. A pour in a bar is about 1.5 to 2 ounces depending on the place and whether the bartender likes you.
    Liquers are off course more caloric, as are pretty colored drinks with more caloric things added to them, like juice or mixers.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Not calories but the trace amounts of trans fat that cheese contains.
    You should know that trans fat occurs naturally in all animal source products (e.g. meats, cheese, milk, etc)

Also when you heat oil - any oil - it creates trans fats.