What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• JanessaDC
    JanessaDC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Falafel. I thought just falafel, no pita, was a super healthy choice. It is crazy high in calories though!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Definitely white rice...

I use rice as a base - a filler...

I had no idea it was so packed with calories.

I'm skipping it from now on.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    4000 calories for a jar of Nutella. I use to scarf these things like there was no tomorrow without realizing the calorie amount.
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Actually, I've been pretty surprised by how low-cal a lot of the recipes I use are. A huge slice of lasagna, for instance, is only 350 calories! And a cup and a half of beef stew is about 200. Considering how filling both of those are, I was pretty amazed!
  • michiapp
    Options
    Venti iced coffee with vanilla and soy from Starbucks. Had no idea how many darn calories are in those shots or that they put in 6 shots!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Granola! 226 cals in 1/2 cup of granola.

The one I have in my desk is 220 for a cup - it's dark chocolate though.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Rice
    Corn
    Broccoli (shocked in a good way)
    Flour
    Oil
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    pizza hut stuffed crust is 440 cal a single slice! I knew it was bad but didn't realize it was THAT bad. and you need at least 2 slices to feel full. gross!
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Kroger's crunchy shrimp roll sushi- 500 calories per role, making a total of 6,000 in a package of 12.

A roll isn't the same as a piece! The 12 piece package you buy at the grocery store is 500-650 calories total, not 6-7,000!!
  • shrinkydink_mg
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(

If you get Natural peanut butter, it's so much better for you! It may be a little higher in calories/fat, but if you stick with just a tablespoon or so, it isn't bad at all- it actually has good fat in it! :)

You all should get some PB2!!! It's a powdered peanut butter. WAY less sugar and fat!!!! I order it online through amazon, and our local grocery stores sells another brand that is similar called "Just Great Organic Powdered Peanut Butter". a 2 TBSP serving has 45 cals, 1.5g fat, and only 2g sugar!!!
    I love this stuff!! I put it in my yogurt, I put it in my oatmeal.....the kids like it too!

I use it as a powder in most of my foods, but the kids mix it with a little bit of water and spread it on bread.
  • SuperKeely
    SuperKeely Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Raisins. 120cal for 1/4 cup :(
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sadly, the Grilled Shrimp & Bacon Club at The Cheesecake Factory has 1,890 calories. Though it sounds harmless, you might as well eat a few sticks of butter for lunch... :(
  • Jennifer076
    Jennifer076 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Mac & Cheese, regular cheese and nuts/peanut butter. UGH!!!!
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Dried fruits. Each innocent little dried apricot is 20 cals! Raisins are about 80 cals per ounce! And lots of sugar. They are still healthy foods but you need to watch your consumption if you are trying to lose weight.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Another thing that surprised me was how the calories differ between Nandos UK and Nandos US. In the UK a half chicken is 353 calories. In the US its over 500 calories for a half chicken. What are they doing to that chicken in America?!
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Mike's Hard Lemonades in all the different flavors, those were 400 a piece and I was doing 2 to 3 a night. :sad:

Now, I don't drink at all. Except a little something from a Mason Jar when I am sick. Always knocks it out. :drinker:
    Oh god, this.

Also, graham crackers. They aren't awesome for me, I knew that, but two of them are 130 cals? TWO?
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Pasta! I rarely eat it now.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!
    :noway: Double check that somewhere.. thats way too much

Strawberries
    Per 1 cup of halves - Calories: 49kcal | Fat: 0.46g | Carbs: 11.67g | Protein: 1.02g
    Other sizes: 1 cup of pureed - 74kcal , 1 cup of sliced - 53kcal , 1 cup of whole - 46kcal , more... Nutrition Facts - Similar
    Got that off a nutrition websight

DIT MFP Database
    Dole - Fresh Strawberries Fraises (152g)
    Servings:
    Calories 49 Sodium 2 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 12 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 7 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 2%
    Vitamin C 149% Iron 3%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    A bakery blueberry muffin, 400 cals OUCH!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(

If you get Natural peanut butter, it's so much better for you! It may be a little higher in calories/fat, but if you stick with just a tablespoon or so, it isn't bad at all- it actually has good fat in it! :)

You all should get some PB2!!! It's a powdered peanut butter. WAY less sugar and fat!!!! I order it online through amazon, and our local grocery stores sells another brand that is similar called "Just Great Organic Powdered Peanut Butter". a 2 TBSP serving has 45 cals, 1.5g fat, and only 2g sugar!!!
    I love this stuff!! I put it in my yogurt, I put it in my oatmeal.....the kids like it too!

I use it as a powder in most of my foods, but the kids mix it with a little bit of water and spread it on bread.

I'll take my smaller servings of real peanut butter, thanks. PB2 tastes like reconstituted chalk, and half of the joy of peanut butter is the creamy consistency, not just the taste.