What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Avocados, cheese, peanut butter, nuts in general... and how quickly alcohol and soda calories add up. sheesh! :grumble:
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Baking ingredients like flour, sugar, butter... (and I like to make things from scratch a lot....so I am always creating "recipes" on here and I'm shocked by the calories)

Oh, and I'm shocked by the calories/fat/sodium of most big chain restaurants...and how grilled chicken isn't much better than the fried version in most of the fast food restaurants (in terms of sodium and calories!!!)
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Sushi
    Cheesecake (cheesecake factory 1200+calories!!!!)
    Homemade chicken noodle/rice soup
    Rice Bran Oil and Olive Oil
    Butter (and I refuse to use plastic a.k.a margerine)
    Veggie Burger
    Shawarma
    Tim Horton's Panini sandwich
    My morning coffee (until I adjusted it to almond milk instead of 1/2 and 1/2 cream)
    buttercream icing
    Chicken alfredo pasta (with whole wheat noodles HOLY CRAP! 700+)

I'm sure there's more but, seriously... wtheck???

The REALLY shocking thing is that their cheesecakes are lower in calories than most of their entrees. Most of them clock over 2000 calories, and some over 3000!
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Anything from the Cheesecake Factory. They must work damn hard to pack more than a day's worth of calories into one plate of pasta.
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That's so funny you mentioned Bailey's, because that's the first thing that came to my mind!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You know the other one that KILLED me when I started tracking it properly? Sweet potatoes. I love having grated sweet potatoes and onions pan fried for breakfast. but 1 cup of grated sweet potato is over 250 calories!! And 1 cup of grated sweet potatoes is not very filling. I wanted to cry. I usually have it cooked in coconut oil with a fried egg on top. So delicious, but it's like 500 cals. UGH.

What! OMG.. say it isn't so! :sad:

It isn't so.
    www.nutritiondata.com
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

That's way off. Strawberries are only 45-60 calories per cup. Not everything on MFP is accurate, so compare.
  • khemory
    khemory Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I dont think thats correct..
  • boilerbabe69
    Options
    Rabbit meat! I have raised rabbits for many years but until I started logging my food I had never looked to see how many calories it contained. I was relieved to find out that the protein was double so I guess that makes up for it.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    cranberry juice has the same calories pretty much as coca cola

I was surprised by this too. I love Ocean Spray Cran Grape, but couldn't believe how many calories showed up when I logged it! Now I have to save it for a treat if I have some calories to spare :sad:
  • kimyasmith
    Options
    OMG!!! My Wendy's Salad that I LOOOOOVEEEE!!!!
  • melissa_fitdiary40
    melissa_fitdiary40 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Rosy...you need to weigh your food, not put it in by the "cup". And when you use the MFP logs for fresh food, always look up the food with USDA after it. People on here make up the WEIRDEST stuff. But 90% of the time, the ones that say USDA after are more accurate. A cup of strawberries should cost you roughly 100-120 calories, not 200. But it will be based on the density of the strawberries you're eating. I always recommend hulling strawberries because the hull it's dense and doesn't provide many nutrients, so you may think you're eating a ton of calories of strawberries, but you're actually not.

Good Info :)
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by the difference of calories between a harveys burger and a whopper. Both with no cheese, Harveys original burger no cheese 380 calories and burger king whopper no cheese 678.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Kroger's crunchy shrimp roll sushi- 500 calories per role, making a total of 6,000 in a package of 12.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Mine is a little opposite, I can't believe the how low cal Candian Bacon is!!!!
    Same here. I'm astounded how few calories lean meats have.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Chips! They're just not worth the calories!
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    chicken wings!!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Also a ceasar sald. yikes
  • grantsmommy
    grantsmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Rosy...you need to weigh your food, not put it in by the "cup". And when you use the MFP logs for fresh food, always look up the food with USDA after it. People on here make up the WEIRDEST stuff. But 90% of the time, the ones that say USDA after are more accurate. A cup of strawberries should cost you roughly 100-120 calories, not 200. But it will be based on the density of the strawberries you're eating. I always recommend hulling strawberries because the hull it's dense and doesn't provide many nutrients, so you may think you're eating a ton of calories of strawberries, but you're actually not.

I agree! Don't just go with what MFP has loaded in the database. I just entered in a banana and it said 36 calories. I know that was wrong so I had to change it. You'd be surprised at how much food is in the database that is completely wrong!
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Things I thought that were high, but surprised how high, pizza

Things I thought were low, but weren't, tortillas