What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Nuts! I love them and always thought of them as a healthy snack choice. But they are so calorie-loaded, I have to avoid them. (Well, I try!)
  • imadyer
    imadyer Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ugh! My favorite salad for lunch two blocks from work. It has fried goat cheese, pecans, mango, etc. I figured it up to be over 600 calories! grrr.
  • TheUnthinkingMajority
    Options
    went to Texas Roadhouse, ate 3 rolls, then I decided to look up their calories.
    I almost pissed my pants. those 3 rolls cost me 600 something calories. and that was before I even ordered.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Laura Secord cream-filled chocolates (The individual ones in the glass counter). I used to buy 4-9 at a time after school in college... Maraschino cherry, maple cream & orange cream mostly. I figured they were 40-60 calories a piece given the size of the little chocolates chocolates. OH no... It was more like 120 calories a piece!
  • Itzli
    Itzli Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Another thing that surprised me was how the calories differ between Nandos UK and Nandos US. In the UK a half chicken is 353 calories. In the US its over 500 calories for a half chicken. What are they doing to that chicken in America?!

Besides pumping them full of antibiodics and putting them in cages where they can't move and force feeding them grans to make them extra fat? ummm.. dunno.. I like free range chicken myself.. So hopefully my chicken meat is leaner.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Chorizo sausage.

I haven't eaten it since November when the last of my sausage casserole was removed from the freezer!

Using a lot of smoked paprika in other foods though.j

And this is why I love this site...smoked paprika? Never even imagined such a thing existed and it sounds fantastic!!
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(

If you get Natural peanut butter, it's so much better for you! It may be a little higher in calories/fat, but if you stick with just a tablespoon or so, it isn't bad at all- it actually has good fat in it! :)

Katie, great point! I think people get too worried about the calories in some foods. Avocados, nuts and peanuts may be calorically heavy but they provide essential oils and fats that we all need!

I have not been through all the pages of this topic yet, so forgive me if it's a repeated suggestion - but on the top shelf where the peanut butters are int he store look for "Better n' Peanut Butter" - it's made from real peanuts, and much lower in calories ... 100 cal per 2 tablespoons as opposed to 190-200 for Jif, Skippy, etc.

Peanut butter surprised me too! The only one I found lower than 190 cal was Skippy Reduced Fat at 180 cal per 2 tbsp.

The biggest surprise to me was all of the fast foods. I knew they were bad of course but when I started reading calorie contents and realizing just how many I was taking in, I couldn't belive it!
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    ANY KIND OF WINE OMG I NO IDEA THEY HAD SO MANY CALORIES!!! BUT THAT'S BECAUSE I LOVE WINE SO MUCH :-((

Me too!!!!!!!!!!
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Chorizo sausage.

I haven't eaten it since November when the last of my sausage casserole was removed from the freezer!

And this is why I love this site...smoked paprika? Never even imagined such a thing existed and it sounds fantastic!!

Smoked Paprika will change your life.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Muffins!

A bran muffin from Paradise Bakery/Panera Bread was 750 calories. I could have eaten 2 chocolate chip cookies instead. :ohwell:
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    CEREAL!

Even the healthier cereals are a crapload of calories for relatively small servings. I weep, because I love cereal. :cry:

Also, peanut butter. Craisins (I like them in salads sometimes). Most fast food and restaurant foods.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(

If you get Natural peanut butter, it's so much better for you! It may be a little higher in calories/fat, but if you stick with just a tablespoon or so, it isn't bad at all- it actually has good fat in it! :)

You all should get some PB2!!! It's a powdered peanut butter. WAY less sugar and fat!!!! I order it online through amazon, and our local grocery stores sells another brand that is similar called "Just Great Organic Powdered Peanut Butter". a 2 TBSP serving has 45 cals, 1.5g fat, and only 2g sugar!!!
    I love this stuff!! I put it in my yogurt, I put it in my oatmeal.....the kids like it too!

I use it as a powder in most of my foods, but the kids mix it with a little bit of water and spread it on bread.

I'll take my smaller servings of real peanut butter, thanks. PB2 tastes like reconstituted chalk, and half of the joy of peanut butter is the creamy consistency, not just the taste.

I use PB2 in my protein shakes, but have to have regular peanut butter for anything else! Just measure out my portions.
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ANY KIND OF WINE OMG I NO IDEA THEY HAD SO MANY CALORIES!!! BUT THAT'S BECAUSE I LOVE WINE SO MUCH :-((

Me too!!!!!!!!!!

Three words ladies " white wine spritzer"
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    chicken wings!!

Totally! I was shocked when I found out that buffalo wing sauce was just 50% Frank's Red Hot sauce and 50% melted Butter!!!
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Chorizo sausage.

Smoked Paprika will change your life.

Are you for serious?! SMOKED paprika?! I need to sit down...
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My favorite coffee creamers. I used to put a good 5 tablespoons worth in my coffee...until I realized that it's 35 calories per tablespoon.

And those little bitty Coffeemate containers of the liquid vanilla fabulousness? 30 calories EACH! YIKES!
  • CassandraNSmith
    CassandraNSmith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i would say my would be a drink not a food. There are so many calories in beverages. Which most of them are just wasted calories anyways. although I do miss me a good cocktail.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Thai Express (canada) Thai Beef Fried Rice - Spicy

The overall especially calories and sodium were frightening. To think I had been putting that in my body probably once a month over a 6 month period makes me feel mad at myself for thinking it was in any way a good choice.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A large Sonic chocolate shake. I knew it would be bad...but 1400 calories! No wonder I was as big as I was. Needless to say I don't have these any longer.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Indian fry bread...700+ cals in one and that's with no taco toppings!!!