What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• eclarso
    eclarso Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Tempeh--it's a good source of protein for vegetarians, but super high-calorie!
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    UNO's deep dish cheese and tomato pizza. I'll get one every six months on a splurge day. It's about 2000 calories for the whole (relatively tiny) thing. Luckily it's so filling I can only eat half at a time - half for lunch and half for dinner. :)
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    alcohol, and nuts.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    nuts,cereals, feta cheese,ribs and vodka.

I think all cheese are really caloric. And it's depressing. But I've found feta to be more reasonable than others, especially for the nutritious content and flavor aspect. Have you looked for Athenos Reduced Fat feta cheese? It takes down the calories quite a bit. And there's always coupons for it on the internet or in the stores.

We don't have that in my country.Not everybody is from America,you know.Thank you for trying to help,though.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    tortilla wraps
    fruit (amount of sugar not calories)
    the worst is my homemade devils food cake, its 745 calories per slice plus its served with lots of cream, ok so i dont make it everyday or even every week just for people in our families birthday but there are 6 of us in this house plus i make it for my parents birthday and one at xmas thats 9 a year, 2 within a few days of each other in may
    i sill have it though lol its just to good to resist i just make sure i workout extra that week and dont eat the calories back, and dont stress if the scales go up as i no i've enjoyed my cake
  • jillmichelle
    jillmichelle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup (the real stuff). Even though...duh, when you really think about it!!
  • lordvoldemort1
    lordvoldemort1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in a pub similar to a Wetherspoons, I have to say don't do it! They actually champion having 2-3 meals on the menu less than 700 calories. The way these things are made is soooo excesive
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup - totally agree! i use the crap light stuff now (only 45 ish per tablespoon vs 230 ish) I get looked at funny and I say "READ THE BACK OF THE BOTTLE!" they say "oh god Steph, you're so picky!"

screw that man! I'm not having empty calories :P
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Sushi
    Veggie Burger
    I'm sure there's more but, seriously... wtheck???

Those ones surprised me too. I know sushi has a lot of rice, but it is insane! I'm pretty sure sushi was responsible for about twenty pounds of fat. I used to eat that all the time. Now it's a every now and then kind of food. Possibly today after this conversation!
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well there's definitely a few ... alcohol for sure! But then the other day I was writing my journal entry and I was talking about my favourite dessert (from a restaurant...thankfully one I couldn't have all the time) and it's a chocolate mousse type of dessert with cheesecake chunks.... 890 calories!!! EEK!!!

Plus at a school meeting the other day they had a cake and this didn't surprise me but I sure opened the eyes of everyone there.... one, teeny tiny sliver (probably 1/3 of what most people would cut as a slice) was 30 grams of fat. I didn't have any but everyone else had a proper portion size instead of indulging because of me....oops lol,
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in a pub similar to a Wetherspoons, I have to say don't do it! They actually champion having 2-3 meals on the menu less than 700 calories. The way these things are made is soooo excesive

YES. I did love those burgers though lol.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    HOLY CRAP LangSyne looks like Diane Keaton...or is that a picture of Diane Keaton...
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been less shocked by calories than sodium. We "get" to eat in the dining hall at work for free (but, then, being on salary, we don't get paid extra for 20 hour days and 7 day work weeks...). The other day, for lunch there was a chicken hoagie, something that's on the regular rotation that I guess is OK, but mostly flavorless. I opted to eat it, saving my leftovers for dinner.

When I logged it, that stupid sandwich was over 2700mg of sodium! Anything that can put you over your goal in 10 bites darn well ought to taste outstanding! Ug.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

Yeah, this. When I started logging, I was shocked to see I was eating nearly 1000 calories a day on PB alone!!!
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You know the other one that KILLED me when I started tracking it properly? Sweet potatoes. I love having grated sweet potatoes and onions pan fried for breakfast. but 1 cup of grated sweet potato is over 250 calories!! And 1 cup of grated sweet potatoes is not very filling. I wanted to cry. I usually have it cooked in coconut oil with a fried egg on top. So delicious, but it's like 500 cals. UGH.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Flax seed. It is so healthy, no carbs at all! But one little freaking tablespoon:

72 calories.

100g - 514 calories. That's like a bar of chocolate.

Ouch...

LOL have you ever weighed out 100g of flax seeds? That would be a TON. A tablespoon is all you need.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You know the other one that KILLED me when I started tracking it properly? Sweet potatoes. I love having grated sweet potatoes and onions pan fried for breakfast. but 1 cup of grated sweet potato is over 250 calories!! And 1 cup of grated sweet potatoes is not very filling. I wanted to cry. I usually have it cooked in coconut oil with a fried egg on top. So delicious, but it's like 500 cals. UGH.

You should try weighing them by the gram. 100g of cooked sweet potato is just under 90 calories, and is actually like 1/2 of a medium potato.
  • Itzli
    Itzli Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Granola! 226 cals in 1/2 cup of granola.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Was there a food that you looked up and were shocked at the amount of calories it contained?

For me, it happened last night. I have those little 3 ounce bottles of Bailey's. They are 327 calories for that tiny little bottle. I knew they were bad, but I didn't know how bad... Ouch! But I'm glad I know now!

Dang! I'm glad to know that because I bought two mini bottles two weeks ago! Sheesh!
    Mine has been casseroles. I am always floored by the amount of calories, but I shouldn't be.
  • Itzli
    Itzli Posts: 78 Member
    Options

What! OMG.. say it isn't so! :sad: