What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    None but then must have been living in denial about how much I was eating on yo-yo ups.
    If you get a shock then can always exercise more
    Best is that you are monitoring intake to make informed decision
  • lizjjam
    lizjjam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    tilapia shocked me compared to other white fish and this whole grain rice mix with quinoa and seeds in it is over 300 calories for 100 grams (3 tbs) That´s most of my calories in one meal before adding veggies and protein
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Milk is another one - I drink coffee from a pint latte mug with half milk (homemade). Even skimmed milk adds up. Now I log all the milk I'm going to have during the day so I can adjust other meals to accommodate my addiction to frothy coffee!
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Reduced fat cheese not really worth having would definitely cycle further for real cheese
  • lordvoldemort1
    lordvoldemort1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Olive oil! I never thought it was good for you, don't get me wrong, but I added a drizzel of it to my otherwise plain salad and MFP said it was 119cal for one tablespoo!!. Makes me dread to think of foods that are olive oil based and that I love, like tzatziki
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Tequila. And cranberries.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Ground beef... goodness, it's high cal. And, porridge oats. When I actually paid attention to the serving size (138 cal for 1/3 pre cooked, or aprox 2/3c cooked), how much I used to eat (at least 2 1/2 cups plus brown sugar) I was eating 300 cals just in oatmeal alone (with sugar, easily over 400). Add to the fact that I'm IR... no wonder I gained so much eating "whole" foods.
  • mckramer1999
    mckramer1999 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to find out how many calories were in one lousy slice of bread. It is rediculous. I never thought I would give up bread, but I'd rather eat something more filling for those calories.

P.S. A great site for calories/nutrient contents is https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/foodapedia.aspx
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Flax seed. It is so healthy, no carbs at all! But one little freaking tablespoon:

72 calories.

100g - 514 calories. That's like a bar of chocolate.

Ouch...
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to find out how many calories were in one lousy slice of bread. It is rediculous. I never thought I would give up bread, but I'd rather eat something more filling for those calories.

P.S. A great site for calories/nutrient contents is https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/foodapedia.aspx

I eat the Sara Lee Delightful bread- it has 45 calories a slice. Pretty good too. My favorite is the multi-grain, and it also comes in wheat.
  • Hinxx
    Hinxx Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Olive oil! I never thought it was good for you, don't get me wrong, but I added a drizzel of it to my otherwise plain salad and MFP said it was 119cal for one tablespoo!!. Makes me dread to think of foods that are olive oil based and that I love, like tzatziki

I have to agree on the olive oil. I use it as an alternative to butter or even mayo and when I started MFP I saw the 120 cals per tbsp!!! I used to make a lot of pasta before with olive oil based sauces... I really can't question myself as to why I'm fat. :(
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Mike's Hard Lemonades in all the different flavors, those were 400 a piece and I was doing 2 to 3 a night. :sad:

Now, I don't drink at all. Except a little something from a Mason Jar when I am sick. Always knocks it out. :drinker:
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Um, a cup of strawberries is nowhere near 200 calories! LOL You have to really watch some of the calorie counts of food on MFP - some people log the incorrect calorie amounts. This is one of those times. Strawberries (1 c) is about 50 calories, not a whopping 200!!

Use Calorie Count.com to confirm.
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sm Arby's curly fries - 400 cal.....but they were SOOOOO good last night and fit into my cals for the day.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, I always thought it was high in cals (the word "cheese" threw me) Im sooooooooo happy its not as I love it :D
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds and dried fruits.. about 160 calories in 1/4 cup!
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sushi. and not fried either! I was just curious the other day about how many calories were in one Crunchy Shrimp roll, come to find out it was almost 1/2 of my daily intake of cal's I freaked out! How can 1 small roll of Sushi have 500+ Calories??! So upsetting I could eat sushi everyday..

Totally sushi. I used to eat like 3 rolls and think I was being so healthy. It would be over 1000 cals!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Um, a cup of strawberries is nowhere near 200 calories! LOL You have to really watch some of the calorie counts of food on MFP - some people log the incorrect calorie amounts. This is one of those times. Strawberries (1 c) is about 50 calories, not a whopping 200!!

Use Calorie Count.com to confirm.

I was gonna say, strawberries are one of the best things you can eat.

When I started my biggest shocker was salad dressing. When researching the FF Places, their salads have just as many calories as the burgers. BOLO for that.
  • MissDarlaDoll12
    MissDarlaDoll12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    sunflower seeds