What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• AJR212
    AJR212 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SO agree about the sushi rolls. I was SHOCKED when I went to log two puny california rolls for the first time. Sad, sad day in my book yet thankful for the eye opener.
  • MadtownMadisonian
    MadtownMadisonian Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    cheese! and i moved to wisconsin 24 years ago, so limiting my cheese has been a real shock to my system. how can i be an adopted cheesehead if i no longer eat much of the stuff? received a lovely box of assorted cheeses as a holiday gift, and wound up re-gifting it to folks at work. ah well...
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    pasta, nuts, peanut butter..

I guess I just was very uneducated about [portion sizes and calories...

What a reality check!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake. It seems to be a 100% efficient calorie vehicle; can go as high as 1600 calories per (restaurant-sized) serving.

I can always make cheesecake fit into my goals.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Sushi
    Cheesecake (cheesecake factory 1200+calories!!!!)
    Homemade chicken noodle/rice soup
    Rice Bran Oil and Olive Oil
    Butter (and I refuse to use plastic a.k.a margerine)
    Veggie Burger
    Shawarma
    Tim Horton's Panini sandwich
    My morning coffee (until I adjusted it to almond milk instead of 1/2 and 1/2 cream)
    buttercream icing
    Chicken alfredo pasta (with whole wheat noodles HOLY CRAP! 700+)

I'm sure there's more but, seriously... wtheck???
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Strawberries! I just entered 1 c fresh strawberries and it is 200 calories!

That might be chopped up, so you should really recheck by weight. I'll put in a cup of strawberries (whole) and they are not nearly that much - maybe 50 cals.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Kraft - Macaroni N Cheese Original! 400 cals in 1C ????

The stuff isn't that good, IMHO.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Mike's Hard Lemonades in all the different flavors, those were 400 a piece and I was doing 2 to 3 a night. :sad:

Now, I don't drink at all. Except a little something from a Mason Jar when I am sick. Always knocks it out. :drinker:

Amen!
  • lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(

Try PB2!
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    Almonds, Peanut Butter, Strawberries & Apples
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Some things surprise me because they are so low in calories. 90 calories for a whole bag of freeze dried apple? 140 for 55 goldfish crackers? I thought both would be way more. I love those freeze dried apples!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ANY KIND OF WINE OMG I NO IDEA THEY HAD SO MANY CALORIES!!! BUT THAT'S BECAUSE I LOVE WINE SO MUCH :-((
  • jillmichelle
    jillmichelle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is helpful to know, thank you! I do not have a food scale but I'm starting to think I need one because my estimates aren't so great...probably both high and low!!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    sunflower seeds, 170 cals for 1/4 cup
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    A couple of things really shocked me.

The first was an oatmeal flapjack, the type you get in most supermarkets. 500+ calories!

The other one that really shocked me was a medium-sized pork pie (maybe 3" in diameter). Over 1000 calories! Ouch.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    ANY KIND OF WINE OMG I NO IDEA THEY HAD SO MANY CALORIES!!! BUT THAT'S BECAUSE I LOVE WINE SO MUCH :-((

I felt the same 135 to 155 (ish) calories per 4oz... I switched to the 'skinny girl" wine - it's good! I'm surprised!!! pleasantly surprised that is! 85 calories for 4oz... that's not bad... the whole bottle is about 425 calories which I can live with :)
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The Welch's Sparkling grape juice.

My family rarely kept alcohol in the house. Mum only kept what she might need for the occasional recipe and Dad would maybe have 1 beer during the game on Sunday's. For special occasions we'd get the sparkling grape juice for something fizzy and fancy.

So for Christmas this year I picked a bottle up for my husband and I because, well, in my head that was kind of expected. Then I happened to be looking at the nutritional facts and discovered it was 150cal for a single glass. Had half the calories as what was on our plates.
  • sjanney007
    Options
    I thought I was doing a lot better by ordering my iced tea 'half and half'. I was shocked to see that it was still approximately 380 calories! Eeek! Only unsweet tea for me from now on (which I'm fine with)
  • jillmichelle
    jillmichelle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sushi
    Cheesecake (cheesecake factory 1200+calories!!!!)
    Homemade chicken noodle/rice soup
    Rice Bran Oil and Olive Oil
    Butter (and I refuse to use plastic a.k.a margerine)
    Veggie Burger
    Shawarma
    Tim Horton's Panini sandwich
    My morning coffee (until I adjusted it to almond milk instead of 1/2 and 1/2 cream)
    buttercream icing
    Chicken alfredo pasta (with whole wheat noodles HOLY CRAP! 700+)

I'm sure there's more but, seriously... wtheck???

I just learned how to make buttercream frosting in a cake decorating class... Holy Cow. Will never look at it the same way again! There's a reason why it's so delicious.... :)

I agree on sushi too - I had it this week and really tried to eat the healthier ones (as opposed to all tempura, all the sauces, the cream cheese ones...) and still...a lot of calories. But I love it. Might need to eat a few more edamame and fill up that way.