Do you know how to make a homemade smoothie?

Options
RedneckWmn
RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
Does anybody have a good recipe for a homemade smoothie? I need something to put my protein powder in. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!:drinker:

Replies

• Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I use plain yogurt, frozen fruit, about 1/2 a banana, a little juice and ready to go.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Banana, Frozen Mixed Berries, fat free frozen yogurt a splash of OJ and Ice yum!! :)
    Or Same ingredients drop the FroYo and OJ and use Fat Free milk and frozen peaches. :)
  • hema
    hema Posts: 19
    Options
    I use crushed ice, frozen fruit (peaches, berries, bananas) whatever frozen fruit you like. I freeze my own ripe banana. Some protien powder, ground flex seed, skim milk. Amounts are what looks good in the cup.
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    soy milk, spinach (you wont even taste it), and frozen fruit... you get your veggies in and it tastes gooood!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep it low calorie just use frozen fruit, protein, and water. You will never know the difference. Remember that you shouldn't consume fat within 2 hours before or after a workout so I would warn not to add additional dairy to the shake. The fat will slow digestion and you need to get the energy and muscle building protein throughout your body to start repairing!

Cherry Chocolate Shake--

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 C Frozen dark sweet cherries
    cover with water
    blend until smooth

Frozen bananas, like someone else suggested, are good because they make it creamy so it seems like there is ice cream in it!
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    frozen strawberries and 1/2 frozen banana. i like it a lil sweeter so i add 1 tsp of agave and a splash of vanilla. i have this every morning. i love it. :love:

also i use trader joe's carribean frozen fruit with a banana in it as well! it is yummy. (it is mango, pineapple, papaya blend frozen)
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit, 1/4 c skim milk, yogurt or frozen yogurt with a little sugar or sugar substitute in the blender. yum!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit, 1/4 c skim milk, yogurt or frozen yogurt with a little sugar or sugar substitute in the blender. yum!
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    for a dairy free smoothie loaded with nutrients and energy to get your day going:

frozen strawberries
    blueberries
    apple or banana (adds a little sweetness - you can also add a chunk of fresh pineapple)
    handful or two of organic fresh baby spinach
    ground flax seed
    protein powder (mine is vanilla... if not, you can add some vanilla extract... just cuz i like vanilla!!)
    water

i also add cinnamon just because i like it....
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    soy milk, spinach (you wont even taste it), and frozen fruit... you get your veggies in and it tastes gooood!
    I do this too but I use almond milk and frozen fruit,spinach and plain greek yogurt
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the great ideas! I had no idea about not having the milk!
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I use:

Vanilla Low Fat Yogurt
    Fresh Blueberries
    Frozen Strawberries
    Banana

Sometimes I'll use frozen mixed fruits (which have strawberries, peaches, mango, and pineapple) instead of just strawberries and blueberries. Fresh Blackberries are very good. I like to eat Raspberries too but they're not high up on my list for smoothies. Cherries are also good to add to the mix!

Great post by the way. I love reading all the different varieties everyone uses and am going to add some of these recipes to my binder.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    If you have a really good flavored protein powder, then you can almost put anything in there and it will be good. I've found that the Spiru-tein powders are my favorite. They've got one called Chocolate Peanutbutter Swirl that is to die for good with spinach, ice and water to the tune of like 200 cals if that. YUM
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    I do a cup of either light soymilk or non fat milk...
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 med banana
    protein powder
    some crushed ice (optional)
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My favorite is 1 cup of frozen blueberries & strawberries with banana and pomegrante juice 1/2 c. with chocolate protein powder
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump - YUM!!!

This afternoon -made one (dairy free) with 4 oz OJ, 1/2 papaya, 1 banana, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, a handful of ice, vanilla protein powder.

I'm thinking the chocolate-peanut butter powder with spinach smoothie sounds strangely addictive. Must try it! LOL!
  • MattDustin
    MattDustin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Okay good stuff, but here is something I haven't seen posted yet. I would assume if you are mixing it with other things its a meal replacement or snack, not a quick post-workout shake?

Anyway, cook up some plain oatmeal, the quick oats, not the flavored packaged kind. If you can, let it cool first, then blend it up with some milk, yogurt, fruit, or whatever you may have floating around. I usually use about half a cup. It gets blended up completely so you don't even taste the texture of it, and it keeps you so full from the fiber!

This is my absolute favorite, I've passed it off as a milkshake before to friends. I don't measure exact amounts, but a guess is:

Maybe half a cup, low-fat vanilla yogurt
    Half a cup oatmeal
    A tablespoon or so of peanut butter
    A banana
    A little skim milk
    3-4 ice cubes
    Chocolate whey protein (I like Optimum Nutrition, good flavor and it has BCAAs and Glutamine for muscle recovery)

Tastes amazing, and keeps me filled for hours! You can also add flax seed or flax seed oil for some Omega 3 without any bad flavor.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My fave is frozen tropical fruit over orange and apple juice in a blender. I usually don't add yogurt but do add a Tbsp of vanilla protein powder.
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    bump
  • loverrgirrl
    Options
    My trainer at the gym recomended a really good smoothie to my however I have altered it just a little bit.

Her smootie:
    Almond milk (60 cal as the 40 cal is pretty gross)
    Frozen mixed berries
    Skim milk powder

My Variation:
    1cup of Almond milk (60cal)
    2tbsp of Skim milk powder
    1/2 med banana (frozen)
    1/4cup frozen blueberries
    6 good sized frozen strawberries
    4 cubes of frozen mangos
    5 slices of peach (frozen)
    Makes about 2 cups of smoothie

However if you wanted to put in a protien powder just switch it out with the skim milk powder.

I eat this everyday for breakfast and i love it, if its not sweat enough for you just add in some sweetner (i use stevia because it has no sugar or calories).