Do you know how to make a homemade smoothie?

Options
2»

Replies

• hapemopirate
    hapemopirate Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown has a really good recipe on foodnetwork.com. Just look around for it -- it was on his Buff Like Me episode.

YYUUUMMM
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have this every morning as a meal replacement -

1 can Diet Rite Tangerine
    1 serving protein powder - I like MLO Super High Protein - 24 g
    1 Crystal Light Energy Wild Strawberry drink mix
    1/2 c plain fat free yogurt
    handful of frozen strawberries
    handful of ice cubes.

Fills up my 32-ounce Rubbermaid glug jug with the flip top - it tastes a little like fruity sweet tarts! Yum!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I can't find the blade for my food processor since moving...once I do...I am all over this thread. :P
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Bumping into my topics.... thanks for all the great recipes :happy:
  • vannie53
    vannie53 Posts: 2
    Options
    Frozen fruit, soy milk, a little honey always works for me.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Okay good stuff, but here is something I haven't seen posted yet. I would assume if you are mixing it with other things its a meal replacement or snack, not a quick post-workout shake?

Anyway, cook up some plain oatmeal, the quick oats, not the flavored packaged kind. If you can, let it cool first, then blend it up with some milk, yogurt, fruit, or whatever you may have floating around. I usually use about half a cup. It gets blended up completely so you don't even taste the texture of it, and it keeps you so full from the fiber!

This is my absolute favorite, I've passed it off as a milkshake before to friends. I don't measure exact amounts, but a guess is:

Maybe half a cup, low-fat vanilla yogurt
    Half a cup oatmeal
    A tablespoon or so of peanut butter
    A banana
    A little skim milk
    3-4 ice cubes
    Chocolate whey protein (I like Optimum Nutrition, good flavor and it has BCAAs and Glutamine for muscle recovery)

Tastes amazing, and keeps me filled for hours! You can also add flax seed or flax seed oil for some Omega 3 without any bad flavor.

just curious but have you tried the oats itself instead of cooking them bc i make oatmeal with milk and that maybe a little to much dairy. just wondering??
  • CrazyAdventures
    CrazyAdventures Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Okay good stuff, but here is something I haven't seen posted yet. I would assume if you are mixing it with other things its a meal replacement or snack, not a quick post-workout shake?

Anyway, cook up some plain oatmeal, the quick oats, not the flavored packaged kind. If you can, let it cool first, then blend it up with some milk, yogurt, fruit, or whatever you may have floating around. I usually use about half a cup. It gets blended up completely so you don't even taste the texture of it, and it keeps you so full from the fiber!

This is my absolute favorite, I've passed it off as a milkshake before to friends. I don't measure exact amounts, but a guess is:

Maybe half a cup, low-fat vanilla yogurt
    Half a cup oatmeal
    A tablespoon or so of peanut butter
    A banana
    A little skim milk
    3-4 ice cubes
    Chocolate whey protein (I like Optimum Nutrition, good flavor and it has BCAAs and Glutamine for muscle recovery)

Tastes amazing, and keeps me filled for hours! You can also add flax seed or flax seed oil for some Omega 3 without any bad flavor.

I have almost the exact same shake everyday, but never used oats or yogurt with it before! I use water instead, and Slim Fast Optimum chocolate royale, though, and have recently started adding 1/2 scoop of unflavored whey protein into it, too.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Because you didn't have enough options already:

My Dairy-Free Protein Smoothie
    - Rice Dream (rice milk)
    - Banana
    - Strawberries
    - Rice Protein Powder (Soy is yummy too)
    - Ice would be nice, but I never have any

Put it all in a blender, and blend until it looks like a smoothie. I like banana chunks in mine. :happy:
  • MattDustin
    MattDustin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    just curious but have you tried the oats itself instead of cooking them bc i make oatmeal with milk and that maybe a little to much dairy. just wondering??
    [/quote]

I have, I'm not sure why, but maybe because they aren't cooked/soft yet, they don't really get blended. They sort of sink to the bottom and you get a mouthful of whole oats, its weird. :)

For shakes I just cook them with water though, that works just as well. You can always use water too instead of milk in the shake for less dairy
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This may not need saying to those with a fully functioning brain, but when you freeze the bananas, take the skin off first. I didn't and then couldn't get the banana out of the skin. Idiot.:blushing:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    This may not need saying to those with a fully functioning brain, but when you freeze the bananas, take the skin off first. I didn't and then couldn't get the banana out of the skin. Idiot.:blushing:

You know....I'm not gonnna lie but I never even would of thought of that. I was going to freeze some. I'm so glad you said something! I'm a moron! :embarassed:
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bumping to my Topics:drinker:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm so glad I started this thread! So many fantastic ideas!! I plan to try several of them next week!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I had this one for breakfast yesterday-yummy!
    1/2 Banana
    1/2 cup Frozen Whole Strawberries
    1/4 cup Organic Oikos Greek Yogurt - Plain
    1 T Kretschmer Wheat Germ
    1/2 Scoop Jillian Michael's - Natural Whey Protein Powder - Vanilla Cream Shake
    enough water to give it a good consistancy.