Avocado. How do YOU eat it?

Options

Replies

• Monica0430
    Monica0430 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    LOVE! LOVE! LOVE Avocados. I try to eat them everyday. Just had them on a sandwich thins with a hardboiled egg and some srilacha and a few tomatoe slices, it was soo good.
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can eat it with anything.. P.S. don't keep it in the fridge, you want it to ripen!
  • sppride
    sppride Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In sushi rolls! Diced over salad! Add diced onion, tomato, balsamic vinegar and olive oil for a nice summer salad! on top of hamburgers! I mean turkey or veggie burgers! :)
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    I mix mine with tuna. It takes the place of mayo and is WAY better for you. Its an amazing lunch.1 avocado, 1 80 cal pack of tuna, small knife, and a bowl, salt and pepper. You dont have to put in fridge. Its fast easy and GOOD!!!!!
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try this but saw a suggestion for toasting it in the oven with parmesan cheese and tobasco sauce. I'd probably skip the tobasco but the cheese sounds delicious! Otherwise I've used it instead of butter and made delicious thin bread toast w/ham on top for breakfast. Also, I put it on top of my garden burgers, and add it to my salad.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    question: why are you keeping it in the fridge? Is it already cut or something? I always keep mine room temp.

I was wondering the same thing.
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love avocado. I've been using it instead of butter on my bread. Just spread it out.
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Avocado Toast

2 slices of multi-grain bread
    1 avocado cut in half
    1 lime, cut in half
    6 grape tomatoes cut into small rounds.
    olive oil
    kosher salt
    freshly ground pepper
    crushed red pepper flakes

Toast the bread (butter if you like) and mash one half of the avocado on each slice of bread with a fork. Squeeze one half of the lime on each slice, top each half with the sliced tomatoes, add a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt & pepper to taste and a drizzle of olive oil.

VERY tasty! Enjoy. :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I also dice it in an omelet (instead of cheese)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    question: why are you keeping it in the fridge? Is it already cut or something? I always keep mine room temp.

Sadly my cats eat EVERYTHING left within their reach. You'd think they don't get fed or something. T_T
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    With an on everything! I put it in my salads, my chili, I use it as a butter/mayo alternative I use it in pastas... I will puree it with black beans to make a paste/butter alternative that. I mix it with tuna... I eat it all the time.
  • choosingsara
    Options
    I can eat it with anything.. P.S. don't keep it in the fridge, you want it to ripen!

ok but can they get too soft?? I bought a pack of them at Costco and ended up putting them in the fridge after a couple of days b/c I was afraid they would get too ripe. How long can you keep them on the counter??
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love it sliced on my salads.

Also enjoy it on some whole wheat crackers.

Fantastic smashed up on a veggie burger or turkey burger, or really...any kind of burger.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try this but saw a suggestion for toasting it in the oven with parmesan cheese and tobasco sauce. I'd probably skip the tobasco but the cheese sounds delicious!

That does sound delicious! And I have all of those ingredients! So thanks for the lunch idea! <3
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options

ok but can they get too soft?? I bought a pack of them at Costco and ended up putting them in the fridge after a couple of days b/c I was afraid they would get too ripe. How long can you keep them on the counter??

If I buy the CostCo pack, I put them ALL in the fridge except the one I plan to consume. When I am 1-2 days away from the next one, I take that one out and put it on the counter to "ripen". They should maintain nicely in the fridge for a few weeks that way.

I never eat the whole thing at once. So I put the unused portion, with the pit still in it, in a sealed plastic bag back in the fridge and finish it in the next 2-3 days.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My fav is to eat it plain with a small sprinkling of soy sauce.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    on a salad is the best way IMO
    I also like it with carrots, by itself, on chili, on chicken, ON ANYTHING :D
  • ShenanigansOHoolihan
    Options
    Guacamole - I eat it with a fork.

BLOA - I eat this every single Saturday for lunch - Bacon/Lettuce/Onion/Avocado sandwich. Not bad with 1 serving bacon.

Cubed avocado, with cubed strawberries or mangoes, drizzled with honey - I know it sounds weird, but I swear it's good.

Plain chunks sprinkled with sea salt & a good Tuscan seasoning blend or hot sauce.
  • choosingsara
    Options

If I buy the CostCo pack, I put them ALL in the fridge except the one I plan to consume. When I am 1-2 days away from the next one, I take that one out and put it on the counter to "ripen". They should maintain nicely in the fridge for a few weeks that way.

I never eat the whole thing at once. So I put the unused portion, with the pit still in it, in a sealed plastic bag back in the fridge and finish it in the next 2-3 days.

Thank you for the tip!! That's what I'll do as well.
  • niess96
    niess96 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just sliced on a warm corn tortilla with some lime juice and a pinch of salt. Yummy!