Being overweight is good? Wait, what?

Options
I heard on the radio that apparently a study had come out saying overweight people live longer. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/01/02/168437030/research-a-little-extra-fat-may-help-you-live-longer

I've also been seeing quite a few people on facebook posting things like "Don't tell me I'm fat, that's "fat shaming" me!" and things like "if size 2 is beautiful, my size 22 must be divine!" and guys saying they will only date overweight and obese women.

I'm not saying that everyone has to be skinny. I understand some people have higher BMI than is considered "normal" due to being muscular. I'm not referring to that. I'm referring to FAT overweight. When did it become a good thing to be at a higher risk of all sorts of diseases, including diabetes and fun stuff like that? Is this a sign of the whole "special snowflake" generation that refuses to be told they are wrong about anything? Is it that our perception of what is healthy is changing?

I don't know about you, but I know there was a point when I finally said "omg enough is enough". I'm nowhere close to where I need to be, but I'm miles ahead of where I was. I try not to judge, and I'm all for being full of self-esteem and liking your body, but should self-esteem come at a price of health when your body is just genuinely too big?

If this post made any sense, let me know your thoughts. If I just rambled nonsensically, well, still let me know your thoughts!

Replies

• nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i can only speak from once a super morbidly obese perspective...... IMO when people say obese/overweight is fine...it is a settling of ones mind because of failed attempts....so u convince yourself u will remain healthy where u are at....did it myself...its a crock a chit...lies u tell yourself.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    In other words "I don't think I can do it, so I give up and will just say I'm awesome as I am, and anyone who argues with me is just being hateful"

Yeah ... sad statement, but makes sense

Btw ... wow ... that's some amazing weight loss! Congrats!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The report specifically says that this does not apply to severely obese people.

The news report also includes the fact that studies usually don't account for people who are at low weight due to illness.

It is just saying that we need to be more flexible interpreting health in relation to BMI.
  • 62texan
    62texan Posts: 13
    Options
    That may be what the report says, but several obese people i know have used it to justify their obesity.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    "If you fall and you fall on vulnerable bone, like the hip, having a little extra fat there might protect you from hip fracture," Hymsfield says.

^ is this guy for real...

-_-
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If you read everything and believe it, you apparently never read about the Mayan Calendar.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I've also been seeing quite a few people on facebook posting things like "Don't tell me I'm fat, that's "fat shaming" me!" and things like "if size 2 is beautiful, my size 22 must be divine!" and guys saying they will only date overweight and obese women.

I don't call people fat - it's rude. Don't care what I'm trying to do with MY body, it's rude to negatively comment on someone else's. Don't give a rat's *kitten* if someone says they feel prettier if they are overweight or that they prefer overweight partners. Their body, their preferences - ain't none of my business.
  • BByer
    BByer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Having a little extra body fat is okay, but being 30%+ body fat isn't healthy. You are going to have markers of metabolic syndrome, such as insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is correlated with many common diseases and conditions.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I typed the below in response to a a friend posting a link about the proverbial "fat shaming". Forgivme me I am copying so I don't have to retype....

"I think shaming would do little good and likely make it worse. I do think the problem should not be coddled or ignored. I don't think forcing any new regulations on the industries will do anything. They are just responding to demand. More regulations will help NOTHING. They give us what we ask for. What will help is being truthful about ourselves. Admitting when we have a problem. Not blaming it on our body, metabolism, environment, friends, etc.....but realizing we each have a purposeful and willful choice to make. Only by changing our choices will we really make a difference. WE have to do that. No one can do it for us. If WE change, then that is the best motivation for others. Leading by positive example will win more folks over than anything else will."

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2013/01/24/16664866-fat-shaming-may-curb-obesity-bioethicist-says?lite

I added the link to the article we had been discussing....so you know what I was talking about. I think it applies to what you are saying.
  • Ebilfairylight
    Options

I don't call people fat - it's rude. Don't care what I'm trying to do with MY body, it's rude to negatively comment on someone else's. Don't give a rat's *kitten* if someone says they feel prettier if they are overweight or that they prefer overweight partners. Their body, their preferences - ain't none of my business.

I think the voice of reason just stepped into the world...
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options

oh hell if they feel pretty at a large weight let them! some people are like that! and yes it is none of our business
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

I think the voice of reason just stepped into the world...

This!!
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    Having read the abstract, I'd like to point out that this refers to "all-cause mortality". This means ALL deaths, no matter the cause. While it does look like they adjusted for age, sex, and smoking, there are lifestyle differences that they did not account for, at least not according to the abstract.

Know what obese people don't do much of? Dangerous outdoorsy stuff like: rockclimbing, surfing, snowboarding, skiing, base jumping, cave diving, frankly lots of sports and outdoor activitives- because either they wouldn't be able to do these things while obese, or they would quickly not be obese if they did them often. Deaths due to these activities are not taken into account in the study. In other words, living a safe life in doors and sedentary might lend a significant hand in living longer cause you won't break your neck going down a mountain face or drowning in the ocean.

Then we can look at lifestyles of drug abuse. If you're a regular partier and consumer of coke or meth or E or other appetite suppressants, you're probably going to be on average skinnier, yet you may be shortening your lifespan due to these activities. Same for people with eating disorders. Starving oneself to stay thin is not beneficial.

I have a tough time believing that simply having extra fat on ones' body alone would increase lifespan, there have to be other factors at work here.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    People are full of excuses... :eyeroll:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I typed the below in response to a a friend posting a link about the proverbial "fat shaming". Forgivme me I am copying so I don't have to retype....

"I think shaming would do little good and likely make it worse. I do think the problem should not be coddled or ignored. I don't think forcing any new regulations on the industries will do anything. They are just responding to demand. More regulations will help NOTHING. They give us what we ask for. What will help is being truthful about ourselves. Admitting when we have a problem. Not blaming it on our body, metabolism, environment, friends, etc.....but realizing we each have a purposeful and willful choice to make. Only by changing our choices will we really make a difference. WE have to do that. No one can do it for us. If WE change, then that is the best motivation for others. Leading by positive example will win more folks over than anything else will."

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2013/01/24/16664866-fat-shaming-may-curb-obesity-bioethicist-says?lite

I added the link to the article we had been discussing....so you know what I was talking about. I think it applies to what you are saying.

Obesity begins in the home. That's where we need to begin the fight -- with childhood. I am a teacher, and I will be teaching health to 6th graders next quarter. The focus, for us, will be on nutrition. I make them do a full blown research project on all types of fast food, making them aware of what exactly they are putting into their bodies. I'm not telling them HOW or WHAT to eat, but I am letting them know how their bodies react to bad food. In fact, I've begun working it into my science lectures about cell structures and the importance of eating right and being healthy and how it plays in the role of cell stability, energy and reproduction.

I think we have become less concerned with the issue of obesity, and more complacent with children who are overweight. I find it unsettling that pediatricians are not really pursuing the issue. Yes, it's uncomfortable to tell a parent their child is obese, but I think there are ways we can do this that doesn't offend the parents. IT NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED AND ADDRESSED.

We've become a nation of fatties, and it's getting harder and harder to change our country's situation, mostly because nobody is willing to admit that what we are a nation of junk food junkies (well, a lot of us are)/

I'm not referencing anyone in particular here, but the nation as a collective.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you--that's why we're logging our food and exercising---'cause we want to get healthier. I was at 50% BF (morbidly obese) when I started my journey two years ago and have lost 50 pounds (only 15 of them since I joined MFP), 8 inches off my waist and am down to 32% BF. That's still technically "obese" but I'm determined to get out of that category over the next six months. I want to get to 25% in a year or so but I will be patient. Even at 25%, I will likely be a little plump but I think that is likely what the doctors were talking about when they said those who are "overweight" live longer. Someone who is a little plump is probably better nourished that those who are excessively thin through following crazy diets or some such. Just talked to a woman who lost her best friend to cancer. She said that she always knew that the friend would die young because she was always following some weird diet and that she was super thin anyway.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Obesity begins in the home. That's where we need to begin the fight -- with childhood. I am a teacher, and I will be teaching health to 6th graders next quarter. The focus, for us, will be on nutrition. I make them do a full blown research project on all types of fast food, making them aware of what exactly they are putting into their bodies. I'm not telling them HOW or WHAT to eat, but I am letting them know how their bodies react to bad food.

Be verrry careful about what you define as "bad". My 11 year old daughter's teacher taught a nutrition curriculum, and told the class that any food with fat in it was "bad". My daughter, already a bit under weight, began an eating disorder, thanks to this. She would read labels constantly, and if they showed even a 1% fat content, she didn't eat it. She lost 20 lbs. in 3 months and we had to take her to a pediatric dietician to de-program her. It was every parent's nightmare.
  • AMS44067
    Options
    If we would agree with that study we wouldn't be here trying to lose weight, right?

Everybody has the right to be fat, skinny or whateverr they chose to be.
    I just know that I feel uncomfortable when I sit in my recliner and my stomach feels like it is in my way, so I know eactly when I hit the point when I have to lose that weight that makes me uncomfortable.

And to be honest, don' we all know that not being overweight is healthier for our joints, heart, blood pressure etc. etc.?
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If people are happy, so be it.

I'm here because I don't want to get fatter.. but I don't particularly give a crap about BMI either.. As long as I FEEL healthy and happy, I could not care less.

Some people are perfectly happy being overweight, I wish everyone would just get over it.. It's none of your business, just because it's easier to label someone fat doesn't mean they are any more unhealthy or anymore at risk of illness, injury or death than people who do not carry around their bad habits with them constantly.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Obesity begins in the home. That's where we need to begin the fight -- with childhood. I am a teacher, and I will be teaching health to 6th graders next quarter. The focus, for us, will be on nutrition. I make them do a full blown research project on all types of fast food, making them aware of what exactly they are putting into their bodies. I'm not telling them HOW or WHAT to eat, but I am letting them know how their bodies react to bad food.

Be verrry careful about what you define as "bad". My 11 year old daughter's teacher taught a nutrition curriculum, and told the class that any food with fat in it was "bad". My daughter, already a bit under weight, began an eating disorder, thanks to this. She would read labels constantly, and if they showed even a 1% fat content, she didn't eat it. She lost 20 lbs. in 3 months and we had to take her to a pediatric dietician to de-program her. It was every parent's nightmare.

Thanks for the heads up. No, I make it a point to say "This is what your age group requires daily in the following groups: X calories, X fat grams, X sodium mg, X sugars, etc." I also teach them how to read a food label, calculate the number of servings per whatever it is they are eating, the importance of the nutrients IN the food (all part of what they learn during the cell unit - since nutrients end up in the cells), and the importance of exercise. (Last year, we even ended up doing a Zumba flash mob for the rest of the school at the talent show -- it was a blast!)

We do a lot of math and I put the focus on eating RIGHT, not eating LESS. Oh my, I think what that teacher did was wrong. I certainly do not want any student taking it to the extreme, but I appreciate the reminder that teachers can have a powerful influence over children, even in unharmful ways!

Oh, one other thing. One of the worst things a teacher can bring into their classroom is their own personal opinions about whatever it is they're teaching. Even though I am a big believer in healthy eating choices, I am GF and love to exercise, I do NOT make it a point to preach to my students. They know I love to exercise, they know how I feel about eating right, because they see me "walking the walking". And they know I'm GF because I politely refuse all the birthday cookies and treats they bring in and offer me. But, I don't shove my opinions down their throats, either.