How do you deal with sugar?

Options
I've just started this program, but already I'm seeing a huge issue, sugar. Even when trying to eat healthier I still seem to easily exceed my sugar limit for the day. Apparently I can't even drink juice ><

What are your strategies for eating less sugar? What do you do?

Replies

• victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The sugar presets are very low, alot of people go over.
    If it bothers you, you can customize the macros and raise the sugar limit so it isn't red and angry all the time haha. My policy is its ok to go over if the majority of it is from fruit and not refined sugar. I guess I look at it as a refined sugar limit.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I just stay away from it as much as possible. Sugar is in EVERYTHING! Read labels.
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I barely eat out anymore and I barely eat anything that is processed. I upped my veggies and lowered my grains.
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I buy things marked no sugar added. Watch what fruits I eat and how much. Ditched any beverage but water. I keep my right around my limit unless I add a dessert. Feel free to add me if you'd like to see some ideas.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I agree it can be frustrating. I have bottles of juice I haven't touched because the carb and sugar would send my blood sugar into orbit. I try to buy sugar free things. But if you don't have diabetes, you don't have to be quite as vigilant. Just try to keep track...if you go over a little I don't think it will be a big problem.
  • ericlm
    ericlm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The sugar limit is for "added sugar". So it shouldn't count fruits and vegetables (or any other foods) that naturally have sugar. That's why nearly everyone is over the myfitnesspal limit. Unfortunately, foods are not labeled for added sugar... just sugar. So it makes it more difficult to track.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I make sure I stay under my calorie limits on days I haven't scheduled to go over. And enjoy it.

Sundae.jpg
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I struggle with sugar too....I am a HUGE sugar addict and it is something I need to work on....maybe just not ready yet I guess because I keep eating it......sigh....baby steps.....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Juice is a HUGE waste of calories to me - especially processed juices from the factory. You might as well be drinking soda. I do what I can to avoid excess refined sugar, but I still struggle to keep that number under the goal. Don't freak out over natural sugars in fruit and veg - they come with fiber to help your body process the sugars more efficiently. I also use stevia to sweeten things instead of sugar.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Well...#1 don't drink your calories...I think that is most important. Juice is out! I don't miss juice, milk, pop, ect. My downfall is chocolate and ice cream.

When starting out, I didn't have the sweets including the ones that are my downfall. You want to get your body used to "not eating" all the sugar as it has already done for so long. In time, you can allow yourself a treat, or as they say "eat it in moderation".

Drink water...water...WATER. That in itself will help a lot. Do small little things each week...not just quit cold turkey. You'll start noticing how your body reacts to sugar and how it feels without it (if that makes sense).

Hope this helps! Most importantly everything in moderation and don't take the ALL or NOTHING approach..in time allow yourself some chocolate or something...but meaning a serving size or something :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Well, personally, I eat it and don't worry too much about that macro. There are different types of sugars... sucros, fructose ... complex and simple sugars... Breads, pastas... all sugar laden. I really worry mostly about protein (I try to go over on that one) and calories. Otherwise, I limit fats but realize there are good and bad fats. In the end, some of these macros will drive you crazy ... and unless you honestly have a medical issue requiring the reduction of sugars, I would not worry too much about it.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    Lol at all the sugar fear. Just stay within calories and reasonable macro goals. Sugar is not bad. Anybody that tells you different is probably selling something. :)
  • ericlm
    ericlm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar is bad. And I'm not selling anything. But the guidelines for sugar are confusing and the labeling inadequate. There are different kinds of sugar that your body processes differently, but it all gets lumped into "sugar" on the label. Just avoid it when you can and don't worry too much unless you're going over 100g a day or have a medical condition.
  • MissyMouse2323
    Options
    I noticed that if I eat just one piece of fruit a day I still go over on sugar... but I try to avoid 'real' sugar and sweets like the plague... I just can't do them in moderation so I stay away... Another rule of mine is never to drink sugar!!! For one my lack of a gallbladder calls for this but also it's really unnecessary when there are so many other options (water, diet soda, etc.) So if the sugar is coming from fruits and veggies then I say Amen but try to kill the refined sugar!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I make sure I stay under my calorie limits on days I haven't scheduled to go over. And enjoy it.
    ^ This. Sugar isn't even one of the things I track, not a concern to me at all.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In the past I did a diet where sugar was banned completely. takes appx 3 days to wean off of it, but once I'm clean of it, no more cravings. They are a rough 3 days though.

NOw i just don't let myself have too much. no magic numbers but i just know when i've had too much because i start craving sweets and bread with butter.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    Too much sugar is bad. And I'm not selling anything. But the guidelines for sugar are confusing and the labeling inadequate. There are different kinds of sugar that your body processes differently, but it all gets lumped into "sugar" on the label. Just avoid it when you can and don't worry too much unless you're going over 100g a day or have a medical condition.

Too much water is bad.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I don't worry at all about sugar, as long as I am eating fairly healthily, I mostly only think about calories.

I would consider juice a junk food though - very concentrated in sugar. Juice has about the same sugar and calories as non-diet fizzy drink. We (dietitians) recommend limiting to juice to no more than 1/2 a small glass per day.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I go over in sugar every single day and look at my pics, I'm still losing weight just fine. I don't really even pay attention to how much sugar I eat.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean go have a sugar party with pink sugar confetti! lol Just use your common sense as far as portion sizes and quality of the food. For instance, you'd probably go over just from eating a banana and an orange and obviously, that's not bad. :D
  • allsturns
    allsturns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I go over on sugar every day too, but mine is mostly from fruit so I' not bothered by it. You can always up your level in the settings if it bothers you.