How do you deal with sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    How do I deal with sugar? My small intestine and liver usually take care of it...
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Bad sugar and good sugar.

Good sugar (in moderation) comes from fresh fruits and veggies.
    Bad Sugar comes from snickers.

A pro on here told me that I would be going over in other areas (calories, sat fats, carbs) if i was filling my sugar with snickers, ice cream, fruit punch. But you wont go over in the other areas from eating fruits and veggies. Therefor, if you arent eating the bad unhealthy stuff, then dont worry about sugar. Now I dont even monitor it. I just cut out as much fake sweet as possible (unless having a treat) and the only sugars i want in my diary are from fruits.

Unless you have a blood sugar issue like ketoacidosis or diabetes then nothing to worry about when it comes to fruits.

PS. Most juice is full of fake sugars and bad stuff. Either juice it yourself or make sure it is raw juice matter not consyrup and coloring if you can avoid it.
  • ericlm
    ericlm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar is bad. And I'm not selling anything. But the guidelines for sugar are confusing and the labeling inadequate. There are different kinds of sugar that your body processes differently, but it all gets lumped into "sugar" on the label. Just avoid it when you can and don't worry too much unless you're going over 100g a day or have a medical condition.

Too much water is bad.

Fortunately, there is not a nationwide tendency for people to drink too much water. That's where your analogy fall apart.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I hide the thing that tracks sugar...
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar..no real need too..
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I tend to not worry about sugar from fruit or dairy, but everything else is OUT. And seriously, don't do sugar-free. You are doing your body no favors!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've just started this program, but already I'm seeing a huge issue, sugar. Even when trying to eat healthier I still seem to easily exceed my sugar limit for the day. Apparently I can't even drink juice ><

What are your strategies for eating less sugar? What do you do?

What everyone else said already.

BUT you really shouldn't drink juice. So much added sugar and totally empty calories, essentially no nutritional value. You might as well be drinking coke or 7up. Drink water.

(I like juice a lot so it's my "once in awhile but not very often" treat)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I've just started this program, but already I'm seeing a huge issue, sugar. Even when trying to eat healthier I still seem to easily exceed my sugar limit for the day. Apparently I can't even drink juice ><

What are your strategies for eating less sugar? What do you do?
    I eat whole foods as much as possible and limit my fruit and I'm usually under my limit following a LCHF diet: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

But honestly? If you're just starting out I wouldn't worry about it yet -- work on exceeding your fat and protein macros and being under on your carbs. Keep your calories in line and try to eat as much whole food as possible and get a little exercise in each day and you'll do great. Get a few months of that under your belt and then reevaluate to see what you can tweak. Best wishes.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I make sure I stay under my calorie limits on days I haven't scheduled to go over. And enjoy it.
    ^ This. Sugar isn't even one of the things I track, not a concern to me at all.

Same here. Sugar is a carb. If your carbs are in line, why worry about sugar?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I just manage my macros, not my micros (except for stuff that I have medical issues with). When I manage my macros to 40c/30p/30hf, I inherently consume less sugar. Too many refined sugars/added sugars throw me over my macro goals pretty easily, so I stick with primarily veg and fruit...but really I can only have a couple servings of fruit per day. I also get far fewer grains than I used to and I try to make as many of them as I can be whole grains.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    How do I deal with sugar? Reading Robert Lustig's Fat Chance was quite helpful.

Sugar Is a Poison, Says UCSF Obesity Expert
    http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2009/06/8187/obesity-and-metabolic-syndrome-driven-fructose-sugar-diet

Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease
    http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Chance-Beating-Against-Processed/dp/159463100X/
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't but I should stay sugar free something's set me back, sugar, and flour and now even the convenient protein bars, they just make me want more more more
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Never tracked a single gram and I don't believe it effected my weight loss...... Best of Luck
  • NimotheFrog
    Options
    Sugars are everywhere. Try replacing refined sugar with the fruit kind of sugars for starters. Processed foods have a lot of sugar, so avoid those as much as possible. Sugars turn into fat if they are not being used. So use this as a tool to help you see where you need to fix things.

Know that your progress will take time. Notice your patterns and intend on making a change. Remember why you want that change and then you can progress from there.

Good luck :)
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar naturally present in whole foods.

I do restrict added sugar, and use turbinado exclusively when I use sugar as a sweetener, as the taste of raw cane sugar is pleasant enough to allow the use of less of it. Sugar is less bad than many other sweeteners still though, just be sparing with it. There is nothing wrong with a small dessert here and there.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Keep calories in line. Keep protein consumption high to preserve lean mass. You can worry about the finer things if you want to, but don't sweat the sugar intake. You've got a long road ahead of you. The best diet you can be on right now is the one you can live with for a year. If it means having a little junk every day- drinking a glass of juice or eating a pop tart then do it.

Having said that: I found when I controlled my carb intake, especially simple carbs, I found my appetite stayed more manageable. I also prefer to chew my calories. I'd rather have a piece of fruit than a glass of juice, but do whatever it takes to stay in calorie deficit and don't worry about a little red number on your sugar line every day.