What's your favorite...

Options
What's your favorite fish to eat and how do you cook it? I have tried a couple different ones but usually buy it and don't really know what to do with it. So then it goes bad and I end up throwing it out. Everybody always says it's an easy thing to cook. I can cook a lot of things...but fish always comes out not-so-good for me. But I like it when other people make it or I order it in a restaurant so I know I like it.

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Fresh trout or mackerel, I either grill or wrap in tin foil & bung it in the oven for about 20 minutes, dead easy
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan but I cook fish for my boyfriend sometimes. His favorite is when I drizzle honey on top of salmon and bake it and then make it into a sandwich with mozzarella cheese on sourdough. He has weird tastes and I've never eaten fish so I don't know how that flavored combination would taste to most people but he loves it.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Salmon. With some fresh dill, sea salt and cut up lemons placed on top and baked in BBQ or oven.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like Salmon. Baked with honey or terayki.
    Or you grate some orange zest, mix it with some fresh ground peppercorns, crushed garlic. Put in baking dish and then squeeze the Orange juice on it.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    lemon pepper seasoning and then grilled or baked. Have used it on salmon and tilapia
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    halibut. grilled in foil with dill and lemon and smidge of real butter. you can also do this in the oven.

Don't overcook fish. :)
  • sclarktiw
    sclarktiw Posts: 217
    Options
    Salmon...on the BBQ with some lemon juice! Damn, I am now hungry...
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Tuna. Baked. Wrap it in foil and sprinkle a little salt, pepper and lemon juice and a pat of butter for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees...or tuna salad. :)
  • On a piece of foil place 6 asparagus spears, 1 cup of spinach, and a seasoned tilapia filet (i usually do a cajun seasoning). Then I squeeze some lime over the ingredients. Wrap the foil around the ingredients to make a pouch. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes at 425 deg. Then you can season with salt and pepper as needed.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Grilled Salmon with lemon = ]
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like to broil it in butter and a bit of lemon juice, and serve over rice.
  • jiggy_gibby
    Options
    Buy frozen orange roughy. Usually it's two 6-ounce pieces, individually sealed inside bag. I cook both (my husband does not like fish) and eat the second piece for lunch the next day.

Bake, from frozen, for 14-18 minutes. All I do is slice an onion, layer onion on bottom of round glass dish, put fish on top of onion, squeeze a little lemon juice over and salt/pepper to season. That's it.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    OOO You know what else is really good? (not the healthiest thing) But Potato Chip breaded flounder is amazing.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The only fish I eat is salmon cause I make myself.....but here are my recipes: salmon filet topped with olive oil and spices of your choice. I use Mrs Dash or salt and cayenne pepper. Also cook salmon about 3/4 of the way through and then top with sugar free orange marmalade mixed with cayenne pepper and bake the rest of the way.

The orange marmalade was a hint from another thread on here to make fake Chinese orange chicken without the calories. We use it on everything now. Love it on shrimp, chicken, and veggies too.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Fresh Northern Pike or Pickeral(Walleye) - if I don't have any fresh I'll go for salmon or haddock
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You may be over cooking the fish. It really cooks fast and should still look sort of moist when it's finished. I like all types of fish and seafood but I know when Hubby cooks it @350 for 45min, it's a rubbery mess. 20min - unless it's really thick salmon shoudl be fine.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i do tilapia with lots of lemon pepper seasoning. pop in the oven for 15 minutes. pair with veggies and brown rice.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Lake perch, bluegill, and/or walleye, especially the day they were caught :)
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    Are you using fresh fish? Or the frozen bagged kind?
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Are you using fresh fish? Or the frozen bagged kind?

I've used fresh fish.