"Unhealhiest Meals in America" list

Options
13»

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in unhealthy meals. I do believe in unhealthy portion sizes.

Totally this.

Some of those meals do look awfully unappetizing, but some are really good. Cheesecake Factory's pasta carbonara is one of my favorites. I usually only eat about 1/2 of it when I go though as the dish is huge.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I sooo want to go to cheescake factory now!

IMO most of the items are calorific because they are huge.
    If you are having a pound of any cake, you can't expect it to be low cal...
    have some common sense and you will be fine.
    and none of them would be a no no on my list, if something is really awesome, I find a way to fit it in my daily (or weekly) macros
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    a it looks so disgustingly delicious!!! LOL....i have been doing good for a while now on not eating any of that stuff, but then almost a week ago I had a little bit of taco bell, and i was sick for almost 2 days!!! F*** that!!! never again...
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am not in the U.S either but I checked out their menu. There are still some healthy options there and the grilled eggplant sandwich sounds yummy. :) I usually can't pass up the steak though.

The grilled eggplant sandwich is actually listed as 1015 calories, just for the sandwich. If you have fries, cheesecake, a drink... that's not at all healthy.

Their "healthiest'' item is actually their original factory burger, served plain and some of the items on their Skinnylicious menu are better options in the 500-700 calorie range.

That being said, I am definitely guilty of ordering drinks, a meal, a slice of cheesecake AND getting a slice to go! I just know that when I go there I am eating 2 days worth of calories and am OK with that.

I just posted this because I think there is no excuse for ignorance. If you don't care how many calories you eat, great! I know when I go out to eat I certainly am not counting calories. I'm eating what I want and I know that even a 4000 calorie meal from CF or wherever won't kill me.

It's the people who eat something and then look up the calories AFTERWARD and freak out, "OMG they're trying to kill us! It sounded healthy! They LIED to me!" - You have to have some personal responsibility.
  • jillm85
    jillm85 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    delicious jucy lucy's mmmmmmmmmmm id demolish one!!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I saw that yesterday, it was shocking. I've never been to the US but I wonder, does the food in cheesecake factory taste good?
    When I googled their nutrition information, lots of their main dishes has at least 1000 calories per serve.

It does. I'd fight my way through a horde of fire-ant infested weasels being slung around by coked up 12 year olds on Harley's to get to a Cheesecake Factory.

I'd pay money to see this made into a sporting event.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    DH and I are homebodies and rarely eat out except when we travel- and then, taking leftovers home to enjoy later is not an option. We won't go to places where the only option is gargantuan potions unless it's something we can share.

And they think we'll have room for dessert after being way overfed in the main course? No, thanks. If I want to enjoy a slice of cheesecake it will be after a very light main course.

Slightly off-topic, but have you ever studied Economics when they talk about "diminishing returns"? That means the the first quantities you get of (whatever) are the most valuable, and the more of (whatever) you get, the less valuable each additional quantity is. Food is like that. The first few bites of anything you like are delicious. Beyond that, it's less exciting and of course any food can be served in a quantity that's too much. It's easy to keep plowing through an oversized serving of something just because it's in front of you.

One of the best developments I've seen in restaurant menus is "tasting menus"- very small portions of things. I'm sure it's more profitable for the restaurant or they wouldn't do it, but I'm happy to order 2 or 3 small servings of various dishes and get just the quantity I want.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Lol @ johnny rockets. Seriously... an apple pie in a milk shake? Wtf

That's what I was thinking! It sounds disgusting.
  • JossFit
    Options
    Athena53 I purposefully seek out tapas places or places with tasting menus. Not so much for portion control/calorie control, but because I know that it's the first few bites that are the best, and I'd rather have a 'first few bites' of lots of delicious things!

Paulaviki - I'm going to respectfully disagree. Apple pie and ice cream is pretty much amazing, so apple pie IN ice cream? Yeah! So much easier to drink it through a straw and leave a hand free to alternately shovel fries in my mouth between gulps.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Paulaviki - I'm going to respectfully disagree. Apple pie and ice cream is pretty much amazing, so apple pie IN ice cream? Yeah! So much easier to drink it through a straw and leave a hand free to alternately shovel fries in my mouth between gulps.

You do make a good point there! I'm just not sure how pastry would blend up!
  • JossFit
    Options
    And here's another one... just because I think these are fun. :)

Eat This Not That's "Scariest Meals"

http://eatthis.womenshealthmag.com/slideshow/8-scariest-restaurant-meals?cm_mmc=ETNTNL-_-1181120-_-01292013-_-ScaryRestaurantMeal-body
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    This list is really eye opening.

What gets me about these places is that the food is good! Yes and the patrons really like it! But do you really need half a cup of sugar in a slice of cake to make it taste good? Seems totally unreasonable and wasteful, even from a business perspective.

They really are trying to kill us.

yes it does make food taste better, I cook for living and I know butter and sugar really make food taste good, maybe not too much sugar though.

I know for a FACT that you do not need sugar or butter to make something taste good...especially something sweet. There are several alternatives and, as a vegan, I have found them. So if you can only make food taste better with sugar and butter, as a cook, you should be ashamed.
  • Sorashi
    Options
    How on earth can be a pasta plate over 3000 cals? or how can you eat such amount of pasta and not explode?
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten at Cheesecake Factory but I have always wanted to!!:smile::smile:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Snickers Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory .....:love:

Glad that only one of these restaurants in the article is near my home. Makes it easier to resist!