Coconut oil a myth?

Options
13»

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    And it most certainly is real! A man I was talking to in Belize described how his mother made it (cooking the grated "meat" of a coconut, then letting the oil separate out). I bought some.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I like coconut, it helps me gain weight. That's why they use it for babies, AIDs and cancer patients.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil on my skin for the most part.

Coconut oil is high in calories and fat (it is an oil) but it's a healthy fat. The triglycerides are 'short', meaning they are metabolized quickly, but they are still high in energy. It's good for endurance athletes but since it's very high in calories I wouldn't say it would help you lose weight.

Coconut oil has medium chain triglycerides.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as coconut oil. Coconuts produce milk. The oil thing is a total myth. It's usually High Fructose Canola oil that they try to pass off as coconut oil. In ancient times coconuts were the size of grapes and produced oil. But as far as present day, total myth.
    actually... this is a myth.

everybody's different. do what works for you
    Lol wut?
  • orapronobis
    Options
    The coconut oil I looked at yesterday was solid?
    Do you just spoon it into the hot pan or what?
    Only used olive oil and butter before, and only just starting to use any fats in my cooking.
    It was very expensive and about 900 calories per 100g.
    It melts quite easily. Actually, I think only stays solid up to about 76 degrees. If it melts in the jar, it will solidify again if it gets under 76.

For price, LuAnna at Walmart.
  • orapronobis
    Options
    I recommend the book by Dr. Mary T. Newport, "Alzheimer's Disease: What if There Was a Cure." Her focus was on its benefits for memory, but she also has a great chapter on coconut oil and saturated fats
  • keezles
    keezles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The coconut oil I looked at yesterday was solid?
    Do you just spoon it into the hot pan or what?
    Only used olive oil and butter before, and only just starting to use any fats in my cooking.
    It was very expensive and about 900 calories per 100g.
    It melts quite easily. Actually, I think only stays solid up to about 76 degrees. If it melts in the jar, it will solidify again if it gets under 76.

For price, LuAnna at Walmart.
    I would NOT recommend LouAna brand. You get what you pay for with coconut oil. . . LouAna seems like it's made from rancid coconuts. I'd recommend Trader Joe's or Spectrum.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Jarrow Formulas - cheaper and good
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Bumpidy bump bump!