How much of a hoarder are you?

Options

Replies

• thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhh NOT a hoader at all.... I dejunk all the time. I need my house to be clean and junk free...
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I hoard gift bags that I recycle for presents and I also hoard makeup. I will buy like 10 of the same thing, use 2 of them but get paranoid I'll run out and buy more. I currently have like 12 half-used mascaras.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I do save gift bags, especially at Christmas. Everyone knows that Terry wants the gift bags. :laugh:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Cleaning out closet...I shall confess....I still having clothing from high school...but its the cutest outfit and damn skippy it fits again! Granted...I just graduated high school a couple years ago... (snicker) fiine...it was 20+ years ago.....

How bad are you?

I'm not. I am a minimalist. I can't stand clutter or closets full of junk or messy garages, etc. If we don't use something...it's gone.
  • kashlen
    kashlen Posts: 16
    Options
    I have a tshirt from 1995 from a softball tournament when I was 10.
  • Kadesha72
    Kadesha72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm an a-typical girl I think, and I hate shopping, so I usually hang to stuff for a while if its good... but then I will randomly decide I need to downsize and I'll finally throw away jeans that haven't fit in years... because let's face it... if I DO get down to a size 8 again, are Rockie Jeans with that button over flaps "really" cool anymore??? Hell no... LOL.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I know that this is an extreme example of hoarding, but it's true. A Pekin, IL. couple died from hoarding just last week. :(

Sadly, the couple died here because they were hoarders. They had told their daughter that all of their 'stuff' was valuable and that it would make them rich someday. A neighbor said that the husband came home from the store with a space heater and told him that he needed it, but wasn't sure where he would be able to plug it in at. They had so much stuff that they were living in the basement and it was too cold down there. He plugged it in and of course it was too close to their 'valuables' and it caught on fire while they were sleeping. They were found dead at the bottom of the stairs, apparently trying to escape. It took the fire department nearly 24 hours to retrieve their bodies because the upstairs was so full of stuff, it collapsed onto the lower floor and covered them. I think it's sad that they didn't receive help for their 'addiction' before it killed them.

If you seriously have a hoarding issue, get help for it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I keep a lot of electronic stuff and boxes, but that is about it. I try to purge other stuff regularly.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    It's funny, because I actually have diagnosed OCD, but I am not a hoarder at ALL. I watch those shows and just shudder. About twice a year, I'll have a day where I take all my old magazines to the recycling place and haul old clothes to Goodwill. Feels good to declutter.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It's funny, because I actually have diagnosed OCD, but I am not a hoarder at ALL. I watch those shows and just shudder. About twice a year, I'll have a day where I take all my old magazines to the recycling place and haul old clothes to Goodwill. Feels good to declutter.

OMG the show.. holy heck.. that show is horrible. Look..I just like saving some "things" :) is that so wrong?
  • IslandRider
    Options
    I'm kinda bad about this when it comes to my projects... I tend to get all fired up about doing something and about half the time don't finish : / then I can't toss the stuff or give it away, cuz I just KNOW I'm going to get to it and finish it. It makes my hubby crazy, cuz he's a total neat freak.... His nieces say when they were little the house was like a museum, everything in its place and always perfect. It sooooo not that now! Guess that shows how much he loves me....
  • Tujuannaevans
    Options
    :blushing: We all got a little Hoarder in us!!! and we all need our OCD friends to remind us how crazy it might get if we don't clean up every once in a while!!!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here...

34325300_2867.jpg

:)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    While I do have a pair of shorts that are about 15-16 years old (what can I say, they are super comfy)... I really work to not be a hoarder... I swear it's genetic as my great-grandmother was one and so is my mother... And hoarding is a form of OCD (as it is all about controlling ones environment).... Thanks to the Flylady though, I am really working to keep all that at bay and not clutter my house and my mind with stuff... stuff that just makes me feel guilty enough to keep it around.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I helped my mom move this weekend. Her and her four dining room tables.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My husband is 54 and will not part with any of his clothing from his college days or his navy uniforms. None of these items fit and most have rips and are so old and dried out the elastic crumbles. I throw things out little by little when he's not looking but I have to put it way in the bottom of the trash bags or he'll remove them and put them back. I've even found old ripped up Tshirts that don't have any sayings on them or decals. Just one color t's. Why keep those? Its not like it was a rocker tshirt from some concert he went to or a football jersey from his old college team or something. He jokes that its his lucky shirt.. well he sure isn't gonna get luck with that now! pffttt in the trash it goes! The oldest piece of clothing I have is my wedding gown and that has been preserved.

You don't even want to know what he has in the basement!! I went down there and found a box full of boxes! They were all moldy!! I tried to throw it out and he yelled at me saying he may need them some day. OMG!! I yelled back its full of mold. He actually thought someone might want them so he put a note on the box saying free boxes and put it at the curb. I pulled the note off after he went out and let the trash men take it. yuck!!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I have a leather jacket that my Grandfather used to wear when he was racing motorcycles back in the 20's and 30's. You can still see the numbers that were hand painted on the back.
    He passed it down to my Father who wore it for a while and then he passed it down to me.
    I wore it all around Europe and now, in a few more years (once I get a new liner sewn in), I will pass it down to my son.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time getting rid of boxes, especially shoe boxes.

^^^ This! I'm always thinking I'll need them someday or could use them for something. Not yet...

I also hoard t-shirts. I clear out my closet once or twice a year and donate to good will, but my t-shirt drawers just keep expanding. I look at them and think "I haven't worn this in forever" but just can't pull the trigger.

I recently realized I have trouble letting go of socks, too... as if I'm ever gonna darn a hole. HAHAHAHA... aahhhh... funny.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    My husband is 54 and will not part with any of his clothing from his college days or his navy uniforms.

My wife always tries to get me to part with my USAF uniforms too... I don't understand this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I'll never be one.................my mom is one now and it's putting a strain on my mom and dad's relationship somewhat. Also, there are rooms in her house where I wouldn't let my daughter go in for fear she may step into something that died (mice or bugs).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition