Dry Hair??

Options
Hey guys!!! The cold weather and washing my hair almost everyday after working out is really drying my hair and scalp! Does anyone recommend a shampoo/conditioner that is good for that but doesn't leave your hair greasy??

Thanks!!

Replies

• Arwaxx
    Arwaxx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    dont wash your hair everyday with shampoo! u could just wash it or use conditionar only.. over washing it is bad
  • KageyKat
    Options
    Try dry shampoo.. Spray in fluff and brush. I had knee surgery recently and my hairdresser recommend it. I ordered some from
    Ulta website
  • MaxsMomTN
    MaxsMomTN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd try a shampoo and conditioner that is free of f sodium laurel sulfates and detergents, and cleanses without lathering or stripping the scalp or hair of natural moisture. I found a good product at Sally Beauty supply, but if you search online I'm sure you can find many different products. The trick with these, because they don't lather, is to make sure to use enough of the product. I always make sure I use conditioner after I shampoo. I find using a shampoo/conditioner with Aragon oil is also very helpful with my dry hair.
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use a deep conditioner once a week (never the same brand, just whatever looks interesting in the haircare aisle), but I also do a couple things on a daily basis. After I wash and condition my hair in the shower, I spray on a leave-in conditioner and let my hair air dry as long as possible. Depending on the condition of your hair, you can do just the ends, or your whole head. I usually concentrate on just the ends. After I blow dry and/or flat iron and I'm done with styling for the day, I use about a quarter-size dollop of biosilk silk silk therapy on the ends. It's greasy, kind of like a serum, but my dry hair soaks it up pretty quickly, and I'm left with silk-soft hair. It's pretty expensive, but you can usually find a good deal on it at places like Marshalls or TJ Maxx.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Treat it from the source, take a pre natal vitamin.
  • tamikia87
    tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use a brand called "Live Clean" It's a vegan natural shampoo you can buy in Canada, most drugstores carry it and walmart has it! Seems to work great in the winter months :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I've personally taken to not washing my hair after working out, but putting conditioner in instead.
  • Arietmis
    Arietmis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know it feels strange at first not to wash your hair everyday, but my hairdresser, who is also an instructor, says you should only was your hair every 3 days. Also, the dry shampoo will help. I'm a big fan of Morrocan Oil. I put about a nickle size amount in my hair before I blow dry it. It moisturizes your hair without feeling greasy. In the winter with the dry air, I sleep overnight with olive oil in my hair. :happy:
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Don't wash your everyday, use a dry shampoo, use only Conditioner, or do a scalp only wash.
    (Scalp only wash. If you have long hair make a loose braid. Hold it one hand. flip over at your waist, use a hose to wet only scalp keeping the long braid part free from water... wash the scalp, rinse) Hope that made sense.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I know it feels strange at first not to wash your hair everyday, but my hairdresser, who is also an instructor, says you should only was your hair every 3 days. Also, the dry shampoo will help. I'm a big fan of Morrocan Oil. I put about a nickle size amount in my hair before I blow dry it. It moisturizes your hair without feeling greasy. In the winter with the dry air, I sleep overnight with olive oil in my hair. :happy:

This. Also I can't say enough about Moroccan Oil. That stuff does wonders for my hair and a little goes a LONG way. You can also do oil treatments to you hair with coconut oil that works wonders. Mainly though you are washing your hair way too often and it is getting dried out. Rinse your hair out instead and condition it, but limit your shampoo usage.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use a sulfate free shampoo and then Aussie's 3 minute miracle, which is a deep conditioner but I use it every time I wash. And like most people are saying, I try to skip a wash or two a week in the winter, especially since my hair is so long and it's so cold. Deep conditioning treatments might also help you.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Use like a 3 minute miracle product twice a week. I also use children's detangler in my hair. Keeps it shiny and soft. Oh, and you can use some of the shiny spray product. Can't think of what it's called... but I know several brands make one. Spray just a few sprays in your hair (it's super oily) and brush through.
  • makemyselfpr0ud
    Options
    Bump!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

This. Also I can't say enough about Moroccan Oil. That stuff does wonders for my hair and a little goes a LONG way. You can also do oil treatments to you hair with coconut oil that works wonders. Mainly though you are washing your hair way too often and it is getting dried out. Rinse your hair out instead and condition it, but limit your shampoo usage.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Where can I find Marocan Oil? Also I use Olive Oil. T-Gel by Neutrogena 2x a week.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the excellent comments about not washing every day (I have curly hair, and co-wash for four days, then use shampoo) - I'd also say to make sure you are getting enough protein and fats in your diet. Since I changed my macros to 45%F/25%P/30%C I've noticed much healthier hair, skin, and nails.
  • dianatogo
    Options
    Where can I find Marocan Oil? Also I use Olive Oil. T-Gel by Neutrogena 2x a week.

My daughter got it from our stylist. It DOES work. Not the cheapest thing in the world but it has made a big difference for her.
  • misselemental
    misselemental Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use WEN on my hair, its a cream shampoo/conditioner in one..bit expensive but works wonders!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A) Don't wash every day.
    B) Try sulfate and silicone free shampoos and conditioners.
    C) Scalp only washes.
    D) Use plain old coconut oil as a deep conditioner and/or pre wash conditioner. Its relatively inexpensive and coconut and palm oils are the only ones that are effectively absorbed into the cuticle of the hair. Many commercial treatments use mineral type ould which aren't.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11413497/?i=3&from=/16258695/related
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I use WEN on my hair, its a cream shampoo/conditioner in one..bit expensive but works wonders!

You can just use V05 or suave, the cheap ones, and they suds up and clean. It's called CO washing.

Also Monoi oil is amazing for hair.