Tattoos should one or not?

Options

Replies

• lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you're getting a tattoo b/c it's the "in thing" then don't get a tat. If you are getting a tat b/c it has some meaning to you then get it. There is a bodybuilder whose name escapes me says he gets tattoos to excenuate(sp) his physique. The tat's make him look more cut in his opinion. So that's my response to the "why put a bumper sticker on a ferrari" part.

Exactly! OP clearly isn't ready for one -- else they would get it. I don't consider mine a 'fad' thing and in fact they're mostly covered -- but I know they're there and can look whenever I want. I'd like another -- but haven't found a design/location that I would want for the rest of my life. Someday the right one may come along.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    My tattoos are for me, no one else, I don't really care what other people think of them and the thought of being "rebellious" has never crossed my mind.

This. I have seven tats, and i don't regret anyone of them. In my opinion, they are a form of self-expression........

yup. six myself, but i'm getting one covered up with an uber-patriotic theme.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I get lots of Tats, simply because I am a bad *kitten* :)
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    If someone already start with should one or not, with other words asking others for advice i only have one answer, dont ;)
  • tynger112
    tynger112 Posts: 351
    Options
    Tattoos are so ugly! What about when you're old? They're gonna look bad and wrinkly and ugly. Think about your future.

In the words of Jackie Moon... "S my C"
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think laser tatoo removal would be a good business plan to get into because so many people are getting ink now because it's trendy and cool, and not putting a lot of thought into the meaning behind them, and 10 years from now when they are "out of vogue" those same people are gonna want them removed.

People have been getting tattoos for thousands of years. Why do you think they'll want to stop in the next 10? O_o
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Because it's my personal choice. I love them.
    I love art. Why no decorate with art?
    And yes I WOULD but a bumpersticker on a Ferarri.
  • TOMEKA18
    TOMEKA18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have 6 tattooes and I am loving them..It's beautiful artwork to me...
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are so ugly! What about when you're old? They're gonna look bad and wrinkly and ugly. Think about your future.
    Ow yeah because IF you make it to wrinkly and old you got a bright and long future to go ofc. If i look at my grandfather who is currently 86 i will be fine, ofc he looks old but hasnt got such a wrinkly skin at all, IF i make it anywhere close i'll be a badass looking old man.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Ow yeah because IF you make it to wrinkly and old you got a bright and long future to go ofc. If i look at my grandfather who is currently 86 i will be fine, ofc he looks old but hasnt got such a wrinkly skin at all, IF i make it anywhere close i'll be a badass looking old man.

Um I'd rather be old and wrinkly with some awesome art and memories. And yeah tell me again how awesome you're going to look when you're old and wrinkly.

I don't understand why everyone has to hate on other peoples lives.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I got mine for me, they all have meaning and they are are beautiful. When I'm old they'll remind me of the best times, the most important things. If you're ashamed of the way I look, then I'm ashamed of the way you think, cause you are so shallow to think I would be concerned with what you think of me.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Adam Levine took his shirt off on SNL last night. To me, he's just ok. Fit (very fit), but kind of small. He looked hotter with the tattoos. That said, I have none, want none, and am glad my husband has none. They look fine to me on some other people. Some look very unattractive to me. I understand that someone who has one I consider unattractive probably doesn't care about my opinion. That's fine. I wouldn't offer my opinion to them on it. That would be rude.

I know there are businesses that require no visible tattoos. A doctor friend had to wear a bandaid on her wrist every day.

I can see why people find them attractive, but I don't. I tend to default in favor of nothing, if there is every a question.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If I bought a Ferrari and wanted to customize it, I would do what I thought looked good, not what everyone else thinks would look good. Would I put a bumper sticker on it, hell no. But a nice set of wheels, custom exhaust, etc.......for sure.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Heh, it used to be cool and rebellious way back when I got my first one, decades ago. Now everyone and their sister has them so I don't think it's considered rebellious any more.

Still, you have to make the decision for yourself. I tend to like them, that's why I have them. Others don't. Just think of the type of job you have, or are likely to have, and pick your tat placement carefully. I've never seen a neck or face tatttoo that looked good anywhere other than on a wrestler, or a prison inmate IMO.

Ditto what he said! I got my 1st one as a sort of mid-life crisis thing....A 1928 Harley-Davidson (In Honor of my Dad) & a Horse beside it (I Love Bikes & Horses). My 2nd one came when my Mother passed away (In Rememberance of my Mother). I'd tell people "don't get one just to look cool or try to be like others who have Tats, remember you're the one that's going to be wearing it." Same advice for others who put you down for getting a Tat in the first place. Tell em "don't worry about it, I'm the one wearing it, not you and if you don't like it, don't look at it." Period! Good Luck to you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Heh, it used to be cool and rebellious way back when I got my first one, decades ago. Now everyone and their sister has them so I don't think it's considered rebellious any more.

Still, you have to make the decision for yourself. I tend to like them, that's why I have them. Others don't. Just think of the type of job you have, or are likely to have, and pick your tat placement carefully. I've never seen a neck or face tatttoo that looked good anywhere other than on a wrestler, or a prison inmate IMO.

http://questionablecontent.net./view.php?comic=1278

1278.png
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's nobody's business to discuss. I'm tattooed quite heavily, and will be getting more, and will never regret any of them. I'm constantly getting compliments and insults, and questions, that's fine, it down't matter to me, and if I catch someone looking with a contorted look of disgust on their face, at least I know that isn't someone worth my time before I waste any on them.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I've never had one, never will get one, but could care less what people do with their own bodies. The only bodies I feel very invested in are my own and my wife's. I prefer women without, but again, being married, only care about my wife's tattoo status. Reasons I don't much care for them are basically:

1. My dad is Jewish with family that had forced tattooing during the holocaust. He wouldn't love me any less for getting a tattoo, but it would not take into account his personal sensibilities/sensitivities on the matter. I have done many things to disappoint him over my life (I'm human), but why do something that doesn't matter to me, but would bother him, especially since he's the best dad in the world?

2. I don't feel less concerned, connected, committed or caring about my values because I don't have them inked on me.

3. I find tattoos distracting, that they take away, not add to how people look to me.

But again, these are my personal feelings, nothing I would remotely feel should be shared. It may not be a perfect analogy, the idea of a bumpersticker on a Ferrari, mostly because it implies something cheap on something worthwhile, but I salute the OP for not being shy to share some strong views and encourage differences of opinions. But if I held to his analogy, I would say this, "It's their Ferrari, let them put whatever the foC|< they want on it!" Just like I don't really care what tattoo advocates think of my lack of tattoos, why should people with tattoos care what I think of their tattoo choices?
  • xMemento_Mori
    Options
    small ones that no one will notice on places that wont get all wrinkly when I get older.

stay strong on my wrist
    love on my right middle finger
    pressure on my left index
    to be on my left middle finger
    perfect on my left ring finger
    a small heart on my finger
    theyll probably end up smearing but whatever
    memento mori on my forarm somewhere with remember your mortality under it
    remember to live on the inside of my foot
    out of the dark into the light on the back of my neck with a heart next to it
    angle wings behind my left ear
    a feather on my rib cage next to it i dont want to be afraid i want to wake up feeling beautiful today and know that im okay i just want to believe in me
    be swept away by this on my lower back

doubt ill ever get em though
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I got my one and only as a means to cover up a scar that always bugged me (that no one else probably even noticed). I could have gotten something smallish and cute, but I went big and bold. I like it and it does not show in most clothing.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I got my one and only as a means to cover up a scar that always bugged me (that no one else probably even noticed). I could have gotten something smallish and cute, but I went big and bold. I like it and it does not show in most clothing.

I have a good sized tattoo on my forearm that covers some pretty gnarly burns I got in an accident - only I remember they're there, now, and to be honest I haven't thought about them for years until I read your post and remembered the reason behind the placement. :P Mission accomplished, I'd say!