Followed calories and worked out, gained weight

Options
So I stayed under calories everyday, was meticulous about putting everything in. Yet since the last time I weighed in I have put on 2.4. I dont understand how this is possible...

Replies

• LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    People will want you to open your diary so we can see what you're eating and be able to comment.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me. Muscle weighs more than fat. In the beginning I always gained a few while my body adjusted to the change. Over the course of two weeks it adapted and the lbs started falling off.

Also, monitor how much water you intake because if its more than typical you can retain water too.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How long has it been? Is your workout routine new?
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i acually only lose weight 2 weeks of the month! :sad:
    if it ovulation or TOM then i dont
    dont worry x
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    People will want you to open your diary so we can see what you're eating and be able to comment.

Ditto!
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You need to kick start your metabolism. One hour every day of brisk walking or running for a week.

Keep drinking 8 cups of water a day.

Keep below the calories.

Make sure weigh everything.
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    Its always as well to open your diary if you're going to ask a question like this, then the really experienced people here can see where you may be going wrong and help you. You say you're under every day - how far under? If you're too far under you won't lose. Is your work out new? If so then you may well gain in the first few weeks - its natural and to be expected. What is your calorie intake set at - that can affect it. What is your sodium intake like? How much water are you drinking? People make an awful lot of mistakes and the beauty of this place is that people will really help you if you give them all the info they need :-)
  • Badd3st
    Badd3st Posts: 28
    Options
    Muscle gain maybe???
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You need to kick start your metabolism. One hour every day of brisk walking or running for a week.

Keep drinking 8 cups of water a day.

Keep below the calories.

Make sure weigh everything.

Always the water! if I don't drink, I don't lose! ( must be part of a calorie controlled diet) :wink:
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Opened up diary, was looking at sodium consumption and realized that it is way WAY to high.
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If your sodium consumption is high then it could vey well be that you are retaining water.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Well, it looks like you just joined, so have you just begun to work out and watch what you eat? If so, it is not muscle gain like some of the others have posted. It can take a long effing time to gain muscle, not to mention pretty much impossible on a calorie deficit. Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat. It is denser than fat, that is all. 1 lb of muscle = 1 pound of fat, it just takes up less room.

Without looking at your diary, I think the culprit is most likely water weight from working out, especially if it's particulary strenuous. Your body will even out in time.

You need to be patient. It can take 6 - 8 weeks to notice any real progress.

Good luck.

Edit to add: Put the scale away and measure youself. Inches are more reliable than the scale. Only weigh yourself once a month, if that.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If you're female and have a monthly menstrual cycle, that could be a contributor. My weight fluctuates 2-4 lbs when I'm on my period.
  • Georgiagoulbourne
    Options
    You probably gained muscle. If you don't see the loss on the scale, you'll definitely see it in inches!
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    How on earth is it possible to build significant muscle mass after just one week of exercising?

OP: it took time to gain weight thus it takes time to lose. Be patient ...
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You have to improve your diet, add some fruits and some vegetables and once that's done you can cut back on all that bread you've been eating.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Also, go here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It's an excellent link, follow the directions given. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now and have already seen a couple of inches lost.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Wrong

a pound is a pound no matter what its made out of... a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks. Also you wont "gain muscle" unless you are taking in a surplus of calories, which you won't be since you are trying to eat at a deficit to lose weight.

With that being said, you need to give your body time to adjust to your new regimen. Stay consistent and make sure you're not taking in too little calories and working out too much which can be counter productive.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    You just joined this year... so I am guessing this working out is new to you... so my guess is it is not anything to worry about.

I just started insanity this week. I gained 2 pounds in a week which would be because my muscles were killing me (literally I thought they were plotting against me). Give it time, and don't worry about the number it will go down eventually.

I didn't look at your diary but honestly make good choices eat enough calories and continue to do what you are doing and you will be fine - do not feel like you need to cut anything out of your diet (I still eat carbs - bread, pasta etc., I eat chocolate, ice cream, Popsicles too but in moderation. I have had no problems losing weight now that I am actually putting forth the effort)
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're on a diet of mostly bread and cheese (and not much water). Add veg, fruit, fish and lots & lots of water in place of some of the bread & cheese. By doing that, you'll cut down on the sodium too.