OMG...why is this in a protein bar?? Ranting.

Options
mamax5
mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
So I bought some protein bars and while reading labels in the store I was shocked by the amount of sugar in these thing. Why is there sugar in these things anyway? Also I was shocked to see that Snickers made a protein bar. It had the most sugar of all! I found some with 1 gram of sugar and those weren't bad at all. I need them for school and not having time for anything else. 15 minutes between classes! I have 3 slammed next to each other! Yes I know it was part bad planning and part not wanting to go more than twice a week. Anyway...I think it is downright stupid to have 22 grams of sugar in a protein bar!

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    In general I'm against excessive regulation, but requiring ingredient and nutrition info on food labels is a real blessing. The longer the list, the scarier it is to me, especially if there are ingredients I can't pronounce!

Big Food has gotten into the protein/energy/granola bar market in a big way and, as usual, has turned things that could be healthy into another from of candy. Lesson learned!

I'd also suggest beef jerky if you can handle the sodium and it's within your budget. Low-fat, almost pure protein.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Carbs can help the body absorb and utilise the protein, also some 'protein bars' are actually intended to be the solid equivalent of a gainer powder not the solid equivalent of a whey isolate powder. Sugar tastes better and is easier to make palatable texture wise than many other carbs, and a lot of customers don't like sugar alcohols/ artificial sweeteners. A protein bar is not some kind of wholefood or healthfood, it's processed stuff so you always need to read the packaging. There are plenty of natural foods you could eat in fifteen minutes without sitting down, for example nuts, seeds and dried fruit or cheese and fresh fruit.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You could always make your own. or bring string cheese, eggs, nuts, fruits, etc..
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Most protein bars and granola bars are so high in calories that they essentially equal a meal when you're dieting. Most are just fancy candy bars marketed as something nutritious. If i go for a protein bar, I go for vegan bars with complete vitamin profiles and recognizable ingredients....Good Bar and Kind Bar are pretty decent brands.

Why the sugar? To make the bar taste appealing to the masses. If you look at low fat foods, most have high sugar and/or high salt. Example - look at the labels for nonfat Chobani and 2% Chobani. There's only 40 calories difference between the two types but a TON of sugar in the nonfat version. They take out the fat but equalize the effect on the taste by adding more sugar.

Our palates have become accustomed to high sugar in processed food -- food companies know that to make their products appeal to the majority of people out there, they need to feed that sugar craving.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I make my own these days. still have a decent amount of sugar, but it's because of the fruit that's in them. homemade bars are incredibly easy AND super cheap. Just throw all the ingredients in a food processor, lay it out to dry for a few hours (or bake for a few minutes on low heat to help dehydrate), cut into squares, freeze, and voila. Really only takes about 15 minutes and saves you a TON of money.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    i make my own too. go to bodybuilding.com and search for 'pumpkin protein bars'
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I am on the go with classes, I pack a small insulated bag and put carrots, cuties, cheese sticks, etc. in it. They are easy to eat between classes.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of those processed bars. Even the busiest of us have time to fill snack-size baggies with granola, trail mix, baby carrots, cut up fruit, almonds, whatever. I've become a fan of the crunchy baked green beans at Sprouts. And since I cook with very little sodium and don't eat boxed meals, I have plenty of sodium allowance to do beef jerky a few times a week.
  • true2me83
    Options
    I thought the same thing. I was also shocked at the amount of sugar in supposedly healthy yogurt. Scary. I will stick to the probiotic pills.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    I use pure protein minis in chocolate. They are a bit bigger than a snack size candy bar. 10g protein and 1 g sugar! Taste pretty good too!
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Make your own, some of those a full of nasties!

Good Luck
    JU
  • fozzy153
    fozzy153 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try Think thin!!!!!! Great bar 20 grams of protein almost no sugar!
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The majority of protein bars on the market are really just glorified protein bars. There are SO many better ways to get your protein in, and from a much less process source. And personally, a three bite protein bar with ~250 calories isn't going to A) satisfy me or B) keep me full for any length of time.

I graduated from college last year so I know it's tough having back to back classes. I packed a salad with chicken every day, or would put a scoop of soy protein powder in a ziploc to mix into 0% Plain Chobani. Both take under 15 minutes to make in the morning, and are healthy, balanced and not overly processed.

Trust me, I know what it's like to have very little time during the day-- there are definitely other options out there.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I guess the sugar's there to sweeten it up- just pure protein wouldn't taste very nice, at all. And you can't make good money selling gross bars. It also could be the God-knows-what substance they're using to bind the bar together.

IMO, Protein bars are pretty pointless. May as well get your protein from whole food or a snack, not some calorically dense bar - if you want to snack on a bar or treat of sme kind, get some real stuff. A flake, or Turkish delight or snickers or whatever. The calorie count in them vs a protein bar is pretty much the same, and you'll enjoy them more.
    The majority of protein bars on the market are really just glorified protein bars.

Gosh! :P
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing. I was also shocked at the amount of sugar in supposedly healthy yogurt. Scary. I will stick to the probiotic pills.
    How bout plain Greek yogurt with berries or other cut up fresh fruit.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I guess the sugar's there to sweeten it up- just pure protein wouldn't taste very nice, at all. And you can't make good money selling gross bars. It also could be the God-knows-what substance they're using to bind the bar together.

IMO, Protein bars are pretty pointless. May as well get your protein from whole food or a snack, not some calorically dense bar - if you want to snack on a bar or treat of sme kind, get some real stuff. A flake, or Turkish delight or snickers or whatever. The calorie count in them vs a protein bar is pretty much the same, and you'll enjoy them more.
    The majority of protein bars on the market are really just glorified protein bars.

yeah um... but there's twice as much sugar in a snickers as a protein bar, even if the latter aren't all that great typically.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

yeah um... but there's twice as much sugar in a snickers as a protein bar, even if the latter aren't all that great typically.

EDIT: Misread, dammit.

True. But what's wrong with a bit of sugar? If you're gonna eat, say, 300kcal of a bar, may as well make it something tasty. Not a bland, saw dusty protein bar.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

EDIT: Misread, dammit.

True. But what's wrong with a bit of sugar? If you're gonna eat, say, 300kcal of a bar, may as well make it something tasty. Not a bland, saw dusty protein bar.

i see you've never had clif bars. ;)
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    When I am on the go with classes, I pack a small insulated bag and put carrots, cuties, cheese sticks, etc. in it. They are easy to eat between classes.

Gonna have to do that instead! I like the cheese stick idea!
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    Anybody have a good homemade protein bar recipe they could share? I miss baking!! :)