This has changed my family

Options
I had no idea that this app would be so great. On Dec 10th 2012, I had had enough. I was tired of looking at myself in the mirror after a shower. My ultimate motivation to start was my 4 kids. Watching them walk around the house with rolls over there briefs was embarrassing to me, IT was not right for me to stop them and keep drinking the pop and eating the chips myself. I have always been a practice what you preach kind of dad. I found this app in the play store for android and have not looked back. I am down 18 and my wife is down 22, We used to drink a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper a night and then some. Chips were a mainstay. My second oldest son was a fruit lover, when chocolate and chips started becoming his favorites, I needed to do something. We now take family walks together instead of TV time. My oldest has gotten the most out of this. He is 12 yro and understands the most of whats happening. What fun is that all the kids now ask how many calories are in something. We try to tell them that they need the GOOD food to develop and that counting calories for them is not a necessity.

I have seen some great stories on this site and I hope they are all true. I have one really bad need. I need some samples of some junk food that I can have. I try to leave room at night for a taste of my favorites but does anyone know of some great snack foods that are very low in calories, I do not mean celery and carrots. I want bbq chips and dip:)

Replies

• Nurse_Christy
    Nurse_Christy Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This is great. Your family sounds very similar to mine. We too do not usually eat very healthy and are trying to make a change. Keep it up!
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    First, Congrats on making a change for the whole family. Your kids will thank you in the long run.

As for snacks, have you tried...?
    Kellogs Cracker Chips (lots of flavors),
    Sun Chips ( I like the red bag),
    Organic Multi Grain Chips w/greek yogurt dip(surprisingly..soooo yummy. Got these at my Costco)
    Wasa Crackers with laughing cow wedge (lots of flavors here too)

Good Luck!
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That's so great! My son is a big motivation for me too! He's not overweight, but I saw what a bad influence I was being on him. I didn't allow him soda, but it was there in the house so he would sneak and drink it. Now that it's not here the temptation isn't here either! Instead of picking up fast food some afternoons, we've been eating at home every day. I don't have to feel guilty or hide my food from him, we are eating together.

Baked Cheddar Sour Cream Ruffles are pretty tasty.
    I agree with pp Sun chips.
    Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop popcorn.
    For dip, maybe a cucumber/greek yogurt dip? Maybe wouldn't taste so great with chips but it would jazz up veggies and maybe help with your dip craving.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the changes to you and your family's lifestyle. I used to love potato chips, but they don't make them the same....to me they have no taste. So I don't want them any more (thankfully I don't like bbq chips).

What I switched to was a good quality corn chip (not Fritos) and salsa. I measure out an ounce of chips (you get a good amount in an ounce) and abot 4 T. of salsa. Its a nice occasional snack.

I also have 2 cups of Indiana Movie Theatre (pre popped) Popcorn. Its reasonable on calories. I cant stand microwave popcorn.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Glorious
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the full-family experience. You'll all be there to support each other and your children will grow up having healthy habits. Keep up the great work.

As for snacks...I've never actually been much of a junk food person (I like my huge meals, that's my weakness!). But...
    Pretzels are very low in fat (it's still carbs though, so just be alert).
    Garbanzo beans, either straight out of the can with some salt or roasted with lemon and seasonings, are a great hand-to-mouth snack.
    Flavored almonds are my favorite snack. There are so many varieties, so you can satisfy either a sweet, savory, spicy, or sour urge.
    Ovaltine in a glass of milk is how I get my chocolate fix, and it's fortified with vitamins too!
    Fruit with some Nutella is a very decadent treat to me (I'm a Nutella freak), but be careful with the amount of Nutella. Peanut Butter works too, especially with apples.
    Cinnamon toast or toast with honey is a good sweet treat.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    For dip, I like 2 tablespoons of light sour cream with 1 tablespoon of ranch dressing mixed in.
  • roxy2903
    Options
    Well done for making the initial changes and Good luck with keeping it up :)
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Amazing job on doing well for not just yourself, but your family as well! It is always a help when you have that kind of support system. The fact that your kids are learning good habits now too is awesome! Congrats on it all!

As far as snacky things I like to check out the organic section.

Sometimes the chips are not a whole lot better in calories but they're at least a bit healthier.
    I recently found chia chips they're put out by a company called Lesser Evil. I agree with popcorn being a great choice for snacking. The sun chips recommendation is a great one too!

The great thing about calorie counting is that you don't have to give up things you love, you just learn to make better choices and eat those treats every once in awhile rather than all the time.

I occasionally get cravings for items that are not fantastic but if I am really craving something I try to buy it in a smaller size. That way it won't be sitting in the house tempting me. For example, the other night I really wanted oreos. Instead of buying a whole pack I bought the mini snack size container. It was enough to take care of the craving and I don't have a package of oreos sitting around tempting me. :)

You'll find what works for you. Good luck on the rest of your journey!!
  • GG113
    GG113 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Inspiring story! May each of you reach all of your goals!

Very nice replies, as well. I want to save some of these "snack ideas"!!! Mine were starting to get monotonous, and I see lots of nice suggestions here. Thanks!
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's great that you and your family are doing this together. My husband and I are working out together, but we are still working on getting our 2 kids (15 & 16) to be more active.

For good snacks:

Pretzels
    Baked chips
    Trail Mix

Don't deprive yourself...that is setting yourself up to fail, just watch the quantity that you eat.
    Good luck!!!
  • TodayYesterday
    TodayYesterday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Some stores sell 100 calorie packs of chips. That might help with portion control.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Some stores sell 100 calorie packs of chips. That might help with portion control.

And sweet snacks also :smile:
  • srr6783
    Options
    Kay Natural Protein chips are delicious and healthy they have a variety of flavors my fav is the chilli nacho cheese they are more like doritos and the Pretzel sticks are great as well.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ruffles Potato Chips - Reduced Fat, 1 ounce-13 chips = 140 calories (taste like regular chips)
    Fiber One - 90 Calorie Chocolate Fudge Brownie, 1 brownie = 90 calories (as good as the real thing)
    Sabra - Roasted Garlic Hummos, 2 TBS = 70 calories (I dip wheat pita and veggies in this)
    Blue Bunny - Frozen Yogurt, White Chocolate Raspberry, 1/2 cup = 120 calories (OMG this *kitten* is da' bomb!)
    Act Ii - 100 Calorie Mini Bags Microwave Kettlecorn, 1 mini bag =100 calories
    Russell Stover - Sugar Free French Mint Miniature, 1 piece = 32 calories

I'm losing weight eating this sort of stuff, and even having an occasional beer or wine at night. Sometimes I use treats as a reward for working out. Bottom line, don't deprive yourself. Find alternatives that work into your calorie budget and then use self control.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    Oh my gosh my mom bought me some blue diamond habanero bbq almonds and they are delicious! 1 serving is 170 calories. I was totally addicted to bbq chips and these really satisfy my craving. It's hard to stick to just one serving!
  • nikkilynne59
    nikkilynne59 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    First thing is Congrats its amazing how you are making your family healthier but also adding more family time something that is hard to do now a days. As for the snacks you can try the thinsations. I love them you can get chocolate chip cookies, caramel popcorn, smart food, bits and bites and each pack is 100 calories. Also you can try the special K line they have a lot of good things too.
    Keep up the good work
  • Gregthree
    Gregthree Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the love and great idea on the snacks. I will definitely give all a try. I question, how do you get that weight loss logo on the bottom of your reply. I cannot find it in the settings.