Not all calories are created equal??

13»

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    I would really love for that not to be the case - I would - but mmapags began with calling my premise idiotic and laugable without adding anything of value to the conversation, even though the post led to an interesting discussion. So remind me - who was it that began the name calling and the "argument" here?

Yay, now we'll argue about arguing. I didn't state it was because of your actions.

haha fair enough. I'm just not sure why I'm the one who gets called out when the same repeat offenders consistently attack my posts because they disagree with them. why don't they just let me say my piece, and they can say theirs? the commentary is what's unnecessary. We're all welcome to believe whatever we want to about food, nutrition and health, but we don't need to go around calling other peoples' views idiotic just because we disagree. fair?

in my view, a calorie =/= a calorie, but in mmapags and others' views, a calorie does equal a calorie. and I'm fine with that. let people hear both sides and choose what they want to believe.

would love to get back on topic here sans petty arguments.
  • mrjtc
    mrjtc Posts: 7 Member
    It is true. Not all calories are created equal. Calories consumed from nutrient-dense foods are far better than the calories from energy-dense (and therefore nutrient-poor) foods.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    two twins (genetically identical) people eating identical amounts of calories, but one eats nothing but processed "bad" foods and another eats only raw whole foods.

do you think they'll look different? do you think their vitals will be different?

No. They will not look different. No, their vitals will not be different either.

Nice try tho

Well, perhaps they would look similar, but the vitals, if we are only considering BP, Temp and pulse would differ at least due to the salt content. Maybe not for you spring chickens, but for me who is a bit older, what I eat dramatically affects my blood pressure. If we consider cholesterol, then you will see even more differences. This is not a theory, I have the lab work that proves it to me, which is why I try to eat as healthy as I can. Progress, not perfection!

I also have two sets of lab work. The workup that was done after my diet switched to almost entirely fast food (divorce) is markedly better than the one where I ate home cooking. Why are the Labs better? Because I lost weight.

And is there someone somewhere advocating that someone consume 2000 cals of koolaid? Most of these arguments exist in fantasyland. No one is eating all organically raised protein and no one is eating all potato chips.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I also have two sets of lab work. The workup that was done after my diet switched to almost entirely fast food (divorce) is markedly better than the one where I ate home cooking. Why are the Labs better? Because I lost weight.

And is there someone somewhere advocating that someone consume 2000 cals of koolaid? Most of these arguments exist in fantasyland. No one is eating all organically raised protein and no one is eating all potato chips.

^ All of this, entirely. And the part about losing weight has been demonstrated before. Going from obese to not obese will generally show a great improvement on health markers.
  • DavPul
    there are 7 billion people in the world.

CoachReddy, I haven't seen a single thread with your involvement that hasn't devolved into a bitter argument.
    I would really love for that not to be the case - I would - but mmapags began with calling my premise idiotic and laugable without adding anything of value to the conversation, even though the post led to an interesting discussion. So remind me - who was it that began the name calling and the "argument" here?

Saying your false statements were idiotic added tremendous value to the discussion. It's true and cut right to the point. Time is money. I wish pags post was the first response in the thread so we could have ended it right there
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member

CoachReddy, I haven't seen a single thread with your involvement that hasn't devolved into a bitter argument.

Saying your false statements were idiotic added tremendous value to the discussion. It's true and cut right to the point. Time is money. I wish pags post was the first response in the thread so we could have ended it right there

this is kind of my point and it's not particularly helpful.

your story you posted above is also - to use the phrase you love so much - purely anecdotal. The poster you quoted - also an anecdote. neither proves anything, but I'd personally rather err on the side of caution, then end up screwed 30 years down the road. If it turns out fast food wouldn't have hurt me, I'm no worse off, and if it turns out I was right, I'll be glad I did. To me it's a win/win, because I honest to god don't WANT to eat that kind of food, so I'm not "depriving" myself or being "orthorexic".

If there are people who DO want to eat it, they should. In fact, everyone should do whatever the hell it is they WANT to do.

What they shouldn't do, is call people idiots because of their dietary choices.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

this is kind of my point and it's not particularly helpful.

your story you posted above is also - to use the phrase you love so much - purely anecdotal. The poster you quoted - also an anecdote. neither proves anything, but I'd personally rather err on the side of caution, then end up screwed 30 years down the road. If it turns out fast food wouldn't have hurt me, I'm no worse off, and if it turns out I was right, I'll be glad I did. To me it's a win/win, because I honest to god don't WANT to eat that kind of food, so I'm not "depriving" myself or being "orthorexic".

If there are people who DO want to eat it, they should. In fact, everyone should do whatever the hell it is they WANT to do.

What they shouldn't do, is call people idiots because of their dietary choices, unless of course they drink Shakeology.

Fixed
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    We've already had this discussion. Just because memento here can't make new memories is no reason to have it again.

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    I don't know if all calories are created equal. I do know you have to expend more calories than you take in to lose weight. I also know my thyroid was fine UNTIL I quickly lost 30 pounds following the Atkins plan. Was it Atkins or rapid weigh loss? I don't know but I haven't been able to successfully lose weight since. Lately, I have erred on the side of healthier choices just because I feel better. With Atkins, I might eat 2 quarterpounders minus the bread. Now, I look for the lower fat protein choices. I also lift weights. I would never recommend Atkins to anyone based on my experience. I would recommend South Beach or Paleo. They are higher protein but advocate healthy fats and protein. That is my opinion. That is what the OP asked for. Not juvenile arguments attacking someone else's opinion. :wink:
  • DavPul
    He didn't call you or anyone an idiot. He said the premise was idiotic. There's a difference. While I find your constant wrong headed harping on this issue highly annoying, I don't think you're an idiot. Well, at least I've never posted that in an open forum.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    To Coachready:

If you run into an assh0le in the morning, you ran into an assh0le. If you run into *kitten* all day long, guess what? You're the assh0le!