Ok I need some answers, and help

Options
g:wink: , I have been using my fitness pal for 10 days, logging everything I eat and I started at the gym 10 days ago too.
Here lies the problem, my left heel is killing me I am guessing plantar faciitius , having been rolling my foot on tennis ball to make it go away to no avail:explode:
now I have new balance sneakers that I have had for about 6 months, yes I know I need new ones,right now because my foot hurts so bad have just been doing the recumbent bike, have done the treadmill a couple of times but I think that's where I mightt have hurt my foot. I am trying my darndest to keep up the work at the gym. I also work on my feet as a dental assistant so that doesnt help either.
would love some suggestions,about how to get around all this.. and keep working..
I am not eating the calories that have been planned out for me, im usually under 1200 hope this doesnt mess anything up either,
I have PKD (poly cystic kidney disease) so I cant do these major huge protein meals either, I am just starting this and have about 73 lbs to go

Replies

• Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I find when I have foot trouble...either from an ankle sprain due to my clumsiness or the bone spur acts up...I can always use the eliptical machine. I feel I stay on the ball of my foot that way. Also I can use the Nautilus machines and work on my muscle tone or take yoga. Good luck.
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had this as well, the podiatrist gave me inserts for my arch. It helped a lot.
  • TodayYesterday
    TodayYesterday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have somewhat chronic plantar fasciitis. I had it for 6 months, went to a podiatrist, it went away for a year, and then came back. Went back to the podiatrist. I'd say that I just work on keeping it under control. I walk/hike a lot - the more I walk the more aggravated it gets. If I don't walk/hike/jog - it usually goes completely away.

Various things that might help
    - rest (sucks!)
    - no treadmill, bike instead
    - gradually increasing how much I walked. start small, and increase distance slowly!
    - shoe inserts ( my podiastrist had me use PowerStep brand)
    - custom orthotics (these are expensive, often insurance doesn't cover, but might be worth it)
    - physical therapy (went for 3 months, helped with my super tight calf tightness at the time)
    - calf stretches several times a day
    - icing with a frozen water bottle
    - replacing shoes every 6 months
    - some people go for the cortisone injection, I chose not to
    - NSAIDs - the podiatrist would give me a prescription for 1-2 months of them
    - taping foot (e.g. with KT tape) helped with the pain when exercising
    - you can google for exercises for foot strengthening
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have had heel pain in the past and custom arches helped immediately , but they were super expensive(over$200). My sis had the same problem and suffered thru it(she is a nurse on her feet all day) but it took almost a year of exercising her heel to feel better. Good shoes do make a difference if they were causing the pain. I am a runner now and if my feet hurt I wouldn't run.Try the bike or something else for the exercise. My experience taught me that most of the weight loss happens in the kitchen( calories) and the fitness happens in the gym.I wouldn't be going below 1200 calories as it is hard to get all the proper nutrition you need. Consider what you can live with and be happy doing for the rest of your life. Lifestyle change is the key if you want to lose the weight in a healthy way and keep it off.
  • jmoorman83
    jmoorman83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If it's just your heel you could have a heel spur. Put your foot in some ice let it sit for a while and then rub your heel on the ice cubes. It'll cause the spur to break off.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I had PF for almost a year.. the only thing worked for me was rest.. I rolled it, have inserts, Ibuprofen..the works but nothing every made it stop and go away.

I eventually had surgery for another problem and was on rest 1 month before it and a month after it..that helped heal my PF..
  • noreen1009
    noreen1009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After 6 months of wearing Fit Flops constantly in the house, mine disappeared. They come with a hang tag that says "may help with plantar facietis." I was skeptical, but it worked for me.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    my mother sleeps with a brace on her foot that helps a lot. i would look into finding some orthopedic shoes to wear when you're not at the gym as well. do a google search to find an orthopedic shoe store in your area, or ask a podiatrist's office for recommendations
  • susie234
    Options
    I have that issue too. Custom orthotics have helped me. I have tried lots of stuff but currently find rolling my affected foot on a golf ball helpful. It hurts a lot when you first start. I try to do it for as long as I can stand it, about 15 minutes (had to work up to that). Also I wear cushioned shoes and get occasional active release therapy. I had to stop running for a few months (did yoga and rode a bicycle) but have resumed by starting again very slowly.
  • schooby2
    schooby2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stretch your foot and calf every morning before getting out of bed and after sitting for any period of time (stretch by either just pulling your toes up toward your nose with a straight leg, or using a towel/belt around the ball of your foot and pulling your foot up toward your nose). The suggestions about rolling your foot on a frozen water bottle or tennis ball are good. Research shows that over the counter inserts help as well as custom and are significantly less expensive. If it persists after trying these things, I would seek some physical therapy. (It's what I do for a living :wink: ) Good luck!