Uh no... I did a bad thing :(

Options
My "indulgence" turned into a binge because I ate while I was emotional, causing me to go about 500 calories over my daily goal. Whenever I get like this I just feel like I might as well give up, and that's where it always stops for me. I don't want a bad night to turn into completely falling off the wagon. What do you do to avoid a "snowball effect" when you've gone over your calories?

Replies

• successleadstosuccess
    Options
    Just brush it off! Don't dwell on one little mistake! By choosing at this very second to move on, and continue on your weight loss, you won't fall off the wagon. These things happen to everyone. Drink lots of water and keep eating healthy :)
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    drink a lot of water for the rest of the day and start over tomorrow. Sometimes I will take what I ate over my calories and divide it over the week equally and subtract that much from every day. So, if you over ate 500 calories and you have 5 days left in the week, just subtract 100 calories from every day's allotment to make up for it. It's not really a big deal in the scheme of things, just pick yourself up, journal how you feel about what triggered the binge and you feel after the binge. good luck. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Exercise, drink water, and then go to bed so you don't eat any more. Start new tomorrow, and exercise a little extra harder.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    HEY! just remember - if you give up, you will be overweight/fat/obese forever. Just pick yourself up and start again tomorrow - it really is not a big deal!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Start again tomorrow, fresh start :)
  • ssb1662
    ssb1662 Posts: 26
    Options
    You did not do a "bad thing". You made a less than desirable choice in response to some event. Be aware of it for the next time and plan a different choice. Then forgive yourself. (Hope the taste was worth the choice!) I try to dringk more water and maybe walk an extra 5 minutes. Doesn't undo my choice, but it soothes my conscience.
  • gettingfitnana303
    Options
    Not to worry. I would guess we all go over from time to time and I would also guess that a lot of people aren't totally honest when they report what foods they ate or how much. 500 calories in one day isn't really that much. Really, it isn't. Again, don't worry about it, just start over tomorrow.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My "indulgence" turned into a binge because I ate while I was emotional, causing me to go about 500 calories over my daily goal. Whenever I get like this I just feel like I might as well give up, and that's where it always stops for me. I don't want a bad night to turn into completely falling off the wagon. What do you do to avoid a "snowball effect" when you've gone over your calories?

500 cals? You prob still were in a deficit
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I read here on the forums once that giving up after one bad day is like smashing your smart phone with a sledgehammer because you dropped it on the ground. Can't remember who said it, but it made sense to me. :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Also this.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Also this.

or at worst *gasp* maintenance.

not a binge...carry on tomorrow
  • MaryAnnMak
    MaryAnnMak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Exercise, drink water, and then go to bed so you don't eat any more. Start new tomorrow, and exercise a little extra harder.

I think this is great advice. Get a little exercise and call it a day.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I went over my calories once by about 1000....my mom made some yummy food. :smooched:

And I feel really down for a bit...I only allow myself 5 minutes of this. And then I go for a walk...usually between 30 minutes to an hour, if not longer. And while I'm on my walk, I figure out what happened, how to avoid it, and what I can do now to change it. Then when I'm done with my walk, I plug it into my exercise diary and call it a day. Just because I ate 1000 more calories than I should have doesn't mean I'm not going to reach my goal. 2013 is my year! It IS going to happen!

Stay positive! It helps! :wink:
  • stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone... it is just this once unless you don't start fresh tomorrow... So, shake it off and start fresh tomorrow. I like to brush my teeth when I can't have anything else for the night but water because I don't like the taste with toothpaste flavoring in my mouth! So brush and when that wears off, do it again! LOL! Dentists probably love my evening weightloss ideas! : )Good Luck!
  • Orangeyouglad416
    Options
    Hi! I went out to dinner last night and wound up feeling really down on myself for a good part of today since I went over my daily limit...you just have to remind yourself that it's NOT the end of the world and that you're going to get back on track the next day. Things like that happen...unless they happen every day don't beat yourself up! :)
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    no biggy!
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    500 calories in the whole scheme of this weight loss journey is nothing!! Brush it off, pick yourself and move on. Tomorrow is another day. Remember...it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound and if you are working on a deficit for the other 6 days you will lose something this week!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I think this is great advice. Get a little exercise and call it a day.

Personally I think that is terrible advice, making up for a "bad" day by exercising it off, is setting yourself up for some bad habits
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Just let it go, it happens. Think about the present not the past cuz u can't change it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Your body does not reset at midnight. Consider the week, the month....
    Don't get stuck thinking in discrete 24 hour periods. myfitnesspal even has ways for you to view those IMPORTANT weekly trends.

Then, when you're sorted and settled, think through what caused you to "bing".