Uh no... I did a bad thing :(

Options

Replies

• mamawoz
    mamawoz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You've just done what you need to do to hold off the snowball -- you acknowledged your problem, asked for help and now you get to move on better than before, knowing that a slip up is just that and doesn't have to be anything more.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    hey at least you were able to stop at 500 calories! just move on tomorrow and make it a new day! i have had like 1000 calorie or more binges so i know it's frustrating but really, could be worse. just do better tomorrow and the worst thing you can do is beat yourself up!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    500 calories is not a binge... You most likely have at least a 500 calorie deficit built in anyway so at worst it will be a wash. Don't worry about it. There is always tomorrow. Never give up; you've got this.
  • Sara29to30
    Options
    I did that yesterday....I was over almost 700 calories and my stomach was pissed. I've learned my lesson and Its good to know the choices I am making are causes joy through my whole body inside and out. Cant go back to my sugary fatty old emotional eating ways. You will be ok
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Think long term. A few hundred calories over for one day is nothing. Sustained weight loss and then maintaining a normal weight is months and years work which will have many victories and setbacks along the way. Just go back to the plan right now as if nothing happened. Don't bother trying to make up for it by doing extra exercises or going crazy low calorie tomorrow- just trust the plan and do your best to stick to it each and every day.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have done the exact same thing and that's why it shows my join date as a year ago and here I am- I've lost 13 lbs since Thanksgiving and I have a very long way to go. Previously,I would let something small derail me and lose all the progress I have made.

Now, when it happens (in fact I made poor food choices today so I am already out of calories) I immediately stop. Log it. Think about why it happened and how to not do it again. Move on.

I'm the kind of person who beats herself up over everything so I am trying so hard to get to the root of my problems and start to love myself again and have success this time and not give up!

Don't give up!!
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Like 100 other replies have confirmed, you didn't really do any damage through the 500 cal "binge" (which actually isn't a binge. If you wanna see a binge, I'll show you one!!)

What's more important is that you either filled an emotional void with a food, or something bad happened and you stuffed your face with food to sabotage your own success as a form of self-destruction. Depends which personality type you are.

Life will be full of ups and downs. What's to stop you from doing this again the next you have a bad day, or someone takes a dump on your head, or something awful happens? This isn't about diet and calorie-counting, it's about eating your feelings. You have to make a conscious choice to deal with the feelings using more feelings, and not a Big Mac combo. It's way harder but you'll be a lot healthier for it. The next time something bad happens, and you want to reach for your comfort foods and gorge yourself, remember: if you do it again this time, WHEN will things change? They change when you don't do it for the first time.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I have not failed unless I have given up! Bad days happen and the only way it will stop you from reaching your goal is if you quit now. So choose to let it go. Don't dwell on it. And move on. You're not always going to have good days...but a little over on your daily budget doesn't make them bad days either. Don't wait to get back on course either...start back at it tomorrow! You got this!
  • kg047
    kg047 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just brush it off! Don't dwell on one little mistake! By choosing at this very second to move on, and continue on your weight loss, you won't fall off the wagon. These things happen to everyone. Drink lots of water and keep eating healthy :)

Do this!!!
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    OMG I know how you feel - Just today I ate about 600 over my calories and I'm kicking myself for it now. I have lost 11 pounds so far since being on MFP in November 2012 (2 months) and I am not going to let this push me over the edge and quit. Tomorrow is a new day and I will be more vigilant about this process. EAT LESS AND EXERCISE. It seems easy but most people know its not. Good luck to you.
    P.S. This is not the first day I went over. Probably do it once or twice a week, but other days I am under. I figure if I stay the course, it will work out in the end.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    My "indulgence" turned into a binge because I ate while I was emotional, causing me to go about 500 calories over my daily goal. Whenever I get like this I just feel like I might as well give up, and that's where it always stops for me. I don't want a bad night to turn into completely falling off the wagon. What do you do to avoid a "snowball effect" when you've gone over your calories?

giving up? over 500 calories??

you do know that's only 1/7th of a pound right? so that's the equivalent of 2.29 ounces of fat.

do you really want to give up because of 2.29 ounces??
  • Madam_Patrick
    Madam_Patrick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went over my calories once by about 1000....my mom made some yummy food. :smooched:

And I feel really down for a bit...I only allow myself 5 minutes of this. And then I go for a walk...usually between 30 minutes to an hour, if not longer. And while I'm on my walk, I figure out what happened, how to avoid it, and what I can do now to change it. Then when I'm done with my walk, I plug it into my exercise diary and call it a day. Just because I ate 1000 more calories than I should have doesn't mean I'm not going to reach my goal. 2013 is my year! It IS going to happen!

Stay positive! It helps! :wink:

I agree! Don't "punish" yourself with exercise, but give yourself a little break and get a little walk in. Just clear your head and start again tomorrow.
    You can do it!!!
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I went over my calories once by about 1000....my mom made some yummy food. :smooched:

And I feel really down for a bit...I only allow myself 5 minutes of this. And then I go for a walk...usually between 30 minutes to an hour, if not longer. And while I'm on my walk, I figure out what happened, how to avoid it, and what I can do now to change it. Then when I'm done with my walk, I plug it into my exercise diary and call it a day. Just because I ate 1000 more calories than I should have doesn't mean I'm not going to reach my goal. 2013 is my year! It IS going to happen!

Stay positive! It helps! :wink:

I loved this answer
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I like to think every meal is a new meal and every day is a new day. If you have a bad meal, try eating better your next one. If you have a bad day, start over again.

I personally start the week out very well, then start getting worse so I mainly get refreshed and remotivated every Saturday night/Sunday morning.
  • ta2fan1975
    Options
    When that happens to me, I don't beat myself up over it. It happens! You're human, we're bound to screw things up now and then. I just try and remember that if I keep doing it, I'm just sabotaging myself and why would I want that?

You'll be okay, tomorrow is another day!
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I weigh myself.

Go "Oh My God! No No No No No No No No No!!!!"

Spray windex all over the leftovers, and fill my fridge with so much fruit and Veg i cant even fit a lollipop in there.

Na, just savour the moment, and start fresh the next day.

Its all good. :wink:
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Dont EVER give up....that is how we got to where we are to begin with.....you CAN do this...its a JOURNEY...not a diet to hit by a certain event (ie 24th birthday) but something that you need to be able to live with the rest of your life....you will have days where you will go 2000 calories over your 'ideal' and you will have days where you are way under...its part of life...how you REACT to those days will determine your success or failure in this journey...YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!! We got your back!!!!!!
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It is NOT a bad thing! It is what it is, just one day. Drink some Mint Tea, sit quietly and relax...tomorrow is a new day.
  • Theresa8267
    Theresa8267 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It is not bad. Just know it will happen every once in awhile and it is not the end of the world. If you stay on track the rest of the week you will be fine. I think you need to overeat once in a while so your body doesn't think you are starving it. Good luck.:smile:
  • SarzvA
    SarzvA Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't panic... just start eating better with your next meal.

I've been like this every time I've started losing weight... my mind flips and goes 'well, you've lost a few kilograms, you might as well have that pizza' but this time I'm determined to do a lot better and get to my goal - One day is not a reason to fall off the food wagon, just hop back on and continue your journey!