What is the biggest unexpected surprise after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• ellygolightly
    Options
    I am surprised at how fat I still feel despite losing 20+kg :(

It's also really annoying how COLD I get! It's like I need to take a sweater with me everywhere I go.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Somewhere on this thread I read about people saying their underarms had changed and it was harder to shave now. I thought that was weird and it stuck in my brain. BUT IT'S TRUE!!

I went to wax on the weekend and it's so weird. Obviously in the last 2 weeks there's been some loss of fat and now they are all caved in and much harder to deal with.

Strangest thing I've found so far that's for sure.
  • WAnnB
    WAnnB Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Everything makes me smile. I see my shadow and I smile, I fit in to old new clothes and I smile sometimes even laugh and giggle and jump up and down. But the most surprising thing is how my husband has been acting - very much like a kid again. =)
  • butilovetacos
    butilovetacos Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Since 2009, I've lost 80 lbs, but I've just recently started to notice certain changes, since I'm pretty much the smallest I've ever been. One that I noticed over the last couple of days (and I was actually thinking about it this morning) is that I actually feel my height now. I'm fairly short at 5'4", but I've never felt short. I guess my extra girth made me feel like I had increased stature, but I work with a bunch of guys who are 6'+ and we do a lot of heavy lifting. It's really put in perspective for me just how small I am. And the more weight I lose, the smaller I feel. I feel like Alice drinking the shrinking potion sometimes. Lol

I can completely relate! I am also 5'4 and my crossfit coach told me when I started crossfit that once we get the weight off I am going to be such a little person, well I am now almost 45lbs (20K) down and I really do feel smaller in height! Now I think it is time to use my tiny stature to my advantage and find some nice looking gents to help me reach things! I have also noticed I have a new appreciation for my legs and the muscle in my thighs. However, the hardest thing for me is knowing that I have dropped almost 45lbs (20K) and people still see me as heavy. For every amazing positive comment I get, like the one I got from my coach yesterday about disappearing, I get one just as negative, like the one I got from a friend telling me that Bigger Women are nicer so not to worry if I can't be thin. It is a roller coaster I have a hard time riding, but this is my journey and I refuse to quit!
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    , I get one just as negative, like the one I got from a friend telling me that Bigger Women are nicer so not to worry if I can't be thin. It is a roller coaster I have a hard time riding, but this is my journey and I refuse to quit!

Some "friend"
  • pinkgrandmaof8
    pinkgrandmaof8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That's no friend, or else it's a threatened friend trying to keep you down! Don't fall for that crap!
  • butilovetacos
    butilovetacos Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That's no friend, or else it's a threatened friend trying to keep you down! Don't fall for that crap!

I feel like it is something that I am use to from those in my life. I have heard this from friends, family and strangers. I think I am numb to it now and don't react. Sure it still sucks and hurts because I want to scream "I can lift 200lbs and do strict pull-ups and run at 10k" but then I think why do I need to broadcast this, I know I can do these things and I believe in myself and obviously others do too. I just think people say things and don't think how their words can hurt the person they say. I think words are our harshest weapons as humans, especially when one doesn't even realize he or she is hurting the person they have said these things too!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    For every amazing positive comment I get, like the one I got from my coach yesterday about disappearing, I get one just as negative, like the one I got from a friend telling me that Bigger Women are nicer so not to worry if I can't be thin. It is a roller coaster I have a hard time riding, but this is my journey and I refuse to quit!

Well you've got some douche friends there...

Well done on some great weight loss so far.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I've become a bit more critical of myself - in terms of the effort I'm putting into my workouts, as well as the way I look. I also talk tons more about working out and eating right ... and also I find myself mentally applauding women in my classes who are obviously just starting out on their journey for taking the first step!

Actually, everything I feel is unexpected because I don't think I started out on this with any expectations at all. I wasn't even sure if I was going to lose any weight ^^;
  • seekingfittoday
    Options
    How much your opinion changes on what you THOUGHT was a good picture. And what people say about you "when you were fat." Ouch.

Like "no offense, but back then..." or whatever.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I've already posted on the old thread but i've discovered some new things. I sometimes grab things like a hand rail and dont recognise my own hand/wrist! it just looks so much better now
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Being cold.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Major TMI and a bit embarrassing but heck, here goes as it was a major victory. A few years ago I kept getting an infection called bacterial vaginosis. It came out of the blue and didn't go away and the doctor couldn't tell me why I was getting it. To get rid of it they said 'eat lots of probiotics' so I did but it didn't go away. She actually told me not to worry about finding out why (which really annoyed me). Anyhow, I started to lose weight and once I had lost about 25lbs the infection went away and hasn't come back.
  • ambernbarrier
    ambernbarrier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick as often, my ingrown toenails have stopped coming. I can exercise and actual enjoy it. I view food as fuel not comfort food. My clothes are growing rapidly. Being as large as I am I am praying I don't end up with a lot of loose skin (my personal nightmare) also I used to get violently sick to my stomach. That has completely vanished.
  • PosyPose
    PosyPose Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that 'you look well' is the ultimate euphemism for 'you've lost weight'!
    I was also lying on the sofa reading yesterday evening and I realised I couldn't feel my chin resting on my collar bone any more. Oh and all my skirts look a couple of inches longer because they're sitting lower on my waist!
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I don't get winded when I walk or use stairs.
    I have a thigh gap.
    I'm 5' 0" and people tell me I'm tiny.
    People treat me better.
    My asthma is gone. This really surprised me to find that is was caused by my weight.

I read every post here and want to congratulate everyone on their great success.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    My man part looks bigger
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 40lbs, but just with that amount gone I am happier and sleep a whole lot better. Sounds weird, but since I have started going down this new and better path in life...I am def a lot more happier. :)

40 pounds is a lot of weight! If you don't think so, try carrying around 40 pounds worth of barbell weights 20 in each hand. You'll get an appreciation for just how far you've come.
  • bonjovi27
    bonjovi27 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump for later
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!